Blake Griffin trade sweepstakes thread

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Possibly get merged into the AtL thread, unless the Bulls rumors gain traction.

Bulls have offered Taj Gibson and Nikola Mirotic for Blake Griffin. http://www.inquisitr.com/3317597/nba-rumors-chicago-bulls-preparing-for-a-blake-griffin-trade/ or google your sources, they are pretty much the same. Middle-range sources outside of basic bloggersphere. Nothing super reputable yet.

Celtics have offered some kind of mixed bag of draft picks and moves involving a third team, including Rudy Gay in the rumormill. And this is being considered the more likely of any possible move.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With Blake we'd definitely grab the #1 pretenders spot of all time

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why?????????????))))(((!)!)!+:+:-;-'288:2:2:=!:18182838737366hshshbwbwbsjaiqopqlqkwnsbdhududhhehebw

czman

Liked Posts:
Have to worry about his health if they want to extend him. This might just be normal off-season "I have nothing to write but need to fill digital space and generate clicks" garbage.

Honestly, I have a had time caring about this season, just like last season. Last year was the firs time since 2003 that I did not get the NBA ticket, and I am not getting it this season. For me the NBA is getting painful.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
QUOTE=Alpha Male;2524779]The bulls wouldn't lose jimmy for a guy that might walk at the end of the season.[/QUOTE]

I was assuming that he would have to agree to an extension prior to being traded.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I was assuming that he would have to agree to an extension prior to being traded.

i don't think thats how it works. When you trade a guy you run the risk he might walk. Just like the lakers and howard.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah but he was FA. Like I said I am not sure how it works. Maybe a cap expert can fill us in.
No cap expert needed. Lebron said he was signing with Miami on national television, so Cleveland did a S&T so they could get some crappy draft pick in return.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah but he was FA. Like I said I am not sure how it works. Maybe a cap expert can fill us in.

Point being, couldn't Griffin sign an extension with the Clippers, get his larger pay day then get traded to the Bulls?

czman

Liked Posts:
Point being, couldn't Griffin sign an extension with the Clippers, get his larger pay day then get traded to the Bulls?

After a player is signed the team cannot trade him for a specific amount of time. It would have to be closer to the midway point of the season.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
After a player is signed the team cannot trade him for a specific amount of time. It would have to be closer to the midway point of the season.

That's not really the case in all instances.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q94

Similar to a sign-and-trade arrangement (see question number 91), a team may sign an eligible player to an extension (see question number 60) and immediately trade him to another team. Such an "extend-and-trade" is limited to three seasons, which include any seasons remaining on the player's current contract1. The salary in the first season of the extension can have a 4.5% raise over the last season of the existing contract, and subsequent raises are limited to 4.5% of the salary in the first season of the extension.

A player cannot be traded in an extend-and-trade after the season (for example, on draft day) in the last season of his contract, or in any season that might be the last season due to an option or ETO.

Since an extend-and-trade has greater limits than a regular extension (three seasons and 4.5% raises vs. four seasons and 7.5% raises), the rules prevent teams from circumventing these limits by extending and trading the player in separate transactions. If a team extends a player beyond the limits of an extend-and-trade (for example, if they sign a player to a four-year extension), they can't trade the player for six months. Conversely, a team cannot extend a player it receives in trade for six months, if the extension exceeds the limits of an extend-and-trade2.

Extend-and-trade transactions are rare. To date they have only been used for Kevin Garnett (traded from Minnesota to Boston in 2007) and Carmelo Anthony (traded from Denver to New York in 2011).

A rookie scale contract (see question number 49) can be extended and traded in an extend-and-trade transaction, although there is no benefit to doing so. A rookie scale extension can be signed immediately after the player is traded (such as with James Harden's trade to the Rockets in 2012), and a rookie scale extension (see question number 60) can be much larger than the extension allowed through an extend-and-trade.

1 The current season counts as one full year, even if the extension is signed as late as June 30. So if a contract is extended on June 30 with one full season remaining, only one new season can be added to the contract with an extend-and-trade.
2 This does not apply to extensions of rookie scale contracts. For example, the Oklahoma City Thunder traded James Harden to the Houston Rockets on October 27, 2012, and the Rockets signed him to an extension four days later.

czman

Liked Posts:
A player cannot be traded in an extend-and-trade after the season (for example, on draft day) in the last season of his contract, or in any season that might be the last season due to an option or ETO.

So I think that would exclude Griffin.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure Carmelo was traded in the last season of his contract with the Nuggets wasn't he?

czman

Liked Posts:
I don't see how the Bulls make this happen without moving Butler. The Bulls have to be close in money and the that probably means Lopez/Mirotic/Someone like McDermott. I would think the Clippers would want a first along with that, and the Bulls don't like trading first rounders. Plus is this really a team that should be going all in this season?

If the Bulls give up Butler they probably don't need to move any picks and Butler/Mirotic may even get a pick back from the Clippers.

The more I think about this, the more I go with all smoke and no fire. Does not make sense for either team.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm pretty sure Carmelo was traded in the last season of his contract with the Nuggets wasn't he?

I'm not sure the answer to that, but I'm wondering if it was a case of the old CBA. Maybe the new one is what prevents this from happening? :shrug: