Who else really wants to see Cody Whitehair play right away?

talkingdinosaurs

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicitysports.com/2016/0...-gives-offensive-line-best-chance-to-be-good/

I know it's super early to be able to judge players well, but even from draft time, I'm a huge fan of Cody Whitehair and hope that he officially earns the left guard starting spot by the end of training camp because I reallyyyy don't want to see Ted Larsen playing much (reasons enclosed). Even if there are some growing pains with him, which are basically inevitable for all rookies, I think he's just a really good player and will give the Bears line its best chance to be functional. Thoughts?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
It's offical, Whitehair's new nickname is T-Rex

header-image.png

Washington

Liked Posts:
Think about this - If Whitehair struggles or Grasu struggles or we have a SINGLE injury on the Oline, we get Larsen and Becton as the next in line players. I'm not sure that is an upgrade over Ducasse and Omameh. Larsen was terrible last year and Becton is another complete unknown. FoxPace needs all the stars to align and stay aligned with this Oline. So many ?s. The potential for a complete disaster exists. Good health is an absolute must unless FoxPace finds some upgrades off the streets.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Think about this - If Whitehair struggles or Grasu struggles or we have a SINGLE injury on the Oline, we get Larsen and Becton as the next in line players. I'm not sure that is an upgrade over Ducasse and Omameh. Larsen was terrible last year and Becton is another complete unknown. FoxPace needs all the stars to align and stay aligned with this Oline. So many ?s. The potential for a complete disaster exists. Good health is an absolute must unless FoxPace finds some upgrades off the streets.

True but then again, isn't that how it is for most teams? Remember how bad the Packers line was when they all got injured last year?

Washington

Liked Posts:
True but then again, isn't that how it is for most teams? Remember how bad the Packers line was when they all got injured last year?

I'm saying a SINGLE injury can be devastating to this team. There are actually lots of teams with good depth. GB had many injuries on the Oline and many at WR and still won a playoff game barely losing their 2nd one. We had a great depth/starter option (Slauson) and FoxPace pulled a complete brain fart without looking at the big picture.

lurker

Liked Posts:
Exactly. Would have been best to keep Slauson and make the rookie really earn it imo. But that being said, few teams have 6 or 7 guys capable of being good quality starters.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I'm saying a SINGLE injury can be devastating to this team. There are actually lots of teams with good depth. GB had many injuries on the Oline and many at WR and still won a playoff game barely losing their 2nd one. We had a great depth/starter option (Slauson) and FoxPace pulled a complete brain fart without looking at the big picture.

If we are talking losing someone like Long for the season, I would agree. But if we lose a couple of guys for a few games, I think we can plug and chug with what we have. The key is not having BOTH banged up line and receivers like we did last year.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
They were better than our current depth...

Maybe. But when they had to put in inexperienced guys in the Week 16 Arizona game, they got destroyed. Their starting line actually was back in tact for the playoff game vs Arizona IIRC.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Most likely will already be in the starting spot day 1 of training camp. Won't take long either way.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I have read that he has short arms and does not move his hands very fast but the coaches seem to have crowned his azz so what do I know lmao.
Pace be playin' this on his Walkman.

[video=youtube_share;_LpnL-RLJrc]https://youtu.be/_LpnL-RLJrc[/video]

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Well yeah. ..didn't you hear? No more Slauson on roster..

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Offensive lineman need to play right away. No need to wait.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Hey guys did you know Matt Slauson got cut?

talkingdinosaurs

Liked Posts:
The starting lineup this year if Whitehair and grasu play will have two inexperienced guys.

It's true, they would be really inexperienced and there would be growing pains. And at this point, it's hard to say how good either of them really are.

All I know is that Larsen is bad, and Whitehair's a talented player that has really solid fundamentals that can help him make up some for the physical limitations he may have at the moment. I think from that standpoint he's miles ahead of where Long and Grasu were when they came into the league, though Long was just a monster despite being so raw.

The short arms thing won't be as horrible inside as long as he gets leverage, which he seems to have excelled at. That said, Omeletpants completely made my day.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whitehall's arms are an inch and a half to short to play guard in the NFL.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is Hroniss Grasu singing the "Like a Good Neighbor State Farm is There" jingle his first start...

GettyImages-492267866.0.jpg

While he may not have played as good as a guy who was supposed to sit a year is expected to... The play in your picture wasn't his fault even though it looked like it.