Best non-'06 Brian Urlacher Bears squad

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
I think the 2005 team was the best by a pretty significant margin. Rex went down in the preseason, and they started out 1-3 starting a rookie 4th round pick quarterback. Then they went 9-2 the rest of the way and really dominated teams defensively more than the 2001 team did.

I really think the 2005 defense was clearly better than the 2001 defense. The 2001 defense allowed a lot of long drives, but was very stingy about giving up touchdowns. The 2005 defense was not only stingy about giving up touchdowns, it was stingy about even allowing a team to pick up a first down and get a drive going. You can see this when you look at the more advanced statistics (the kind I like).

The 2005 defense led the entire NFL in the 2 stats that I think are the best indicators of defensive performance: points allowed per defensive possession and net yards allowed per defensive possession. In contrast, the 2001 defense led the NFL in points allowed per defensive possession, but ranked only 14th in net yards allowed per defensive possession because they allowed a lot of long drives.

Also, the 2005 team also got really, really unlucky in that playoff game against the Panthers. 2 separate times, the Panthers got long touchdown passes to Steve Smith after the corner slipped. You don't often see that happen twice in the same game.

Yards allowed and sacks are overrated.

blachestats.jpg

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think the 2005 team was the best by a pretty significant margin. Rex went down in the preseason, and they started out 1-3 starting a rookie 4th round pick quarterback. Then they went 9-2 the rest of the way and really dominated teams defensively more than the 2001 team did.

I really think the 2005 defense was clearly better than the 2001 defense. The 2001 defense allowed a lot of long drives, but was very stingy about giving up touchdowns. The 2005 defense was not only stingy about giving up touchdowns, it was stingy about even allowing a team to pick up a first down and get a drive going. You can see this when you look at the more advanced statistics (the kind I like).

The 2005 defense led the entire NFL in the 2 stats that I think are the best indicators of defensive performance: points allowed per defensive possession and net yards allowed per defensive possession. In contrast, the 2001 defense led the NFL in points allowed per defensive possession, but ranked only 14th in net yards allowed per defensive possession because they allowed a lot of long drives.

Also, the 2005 team also got really, really unlucky in that playoff game against the Panthers. 2 separate times, the Panthers got long touchdown passes to Steve Smith after the corner slipped. You don't often see that happen twice in the same game.

I do love the defensive yards/points allowed per defensive possession stat. It should be used more often imo, as it is easily the fairest ranking when comparing defenses of the same era.

I agree with you in saying that the 05 defense > 01 defense... I think most everyone would.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
It's hard to not pick 2001, personally anyway. Look at our record during the 90's, it's abysmal. Then 2001 happened and it was just such an awesome surprise. Watching them actually win after a decade of (mostly) crap really tints the glasses. It was the first time, pretty much in my life, I got to enjoy watching the Bears. (I was born in 82)

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
2006 defense was better they only gave up an extra field goal on average per game but the team scored 10 points more on average vs the 2005 unit and the 2006 unit lead the league in turnovers.

mecha

Liked Posts:
It's hard to not pick 2001, personally anyway. Look at our record during the 90's, it's abysmal. Then 2001 happened and it was just such an awesome surprise. Watching them actually win after a decade of (mostly) crap really tints the glasses. It was the first time, pretty much in my life, I got to enjoy watching the Bears. (I was born in 82)

cursed 1982 births. we missed the prime years.

2006 defense was better they only gave up an extra field goal on average per game but the team scored 10 points more on average vs the 2005 unit and the 2006 unit lead the league in turnovers.

2006 team was marred by half a season of shit Rex. put the defense in bad positions right? the sheer command and destruction in the Lions (home game), Seahawks (home reg. season), Cardinals, 49ers, Bills, and Saints games courtesy of that defense... jesus christ. I missed week 1. :( wish I could've witnessed that shutout.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
2001 was a fun team to watch. Really the first Bears team I fell in love with. The 90s sucked and being a grade schooler, it wasn't much to attach to. But 2001 was just magical.

The one moment I loved in 2005 was that freezing cold game on Sunday Night at Soldier Field against the Falcons. Came a week after a disappointing loss in Pittsburgh, and Grossman returned. Bears D shut down the Falcons offense. And Urlacher chased Vick down sideline to sideline on a play.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Yards allowed and sacks are overrated.

blachestats.jpg

I agree that total yards allowed is an extremely overrated stat.

But net yards allowed per defensive possession is a very useful and under-utilized stat.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am going 05 all the way- allowing 202 points, 45 points less than the next best d.
Yeah, the d only allowed 203 in 01... But the 05 d had the offensive handicap.

The 2001 offense put up 338 points. The 05 offense put up 260 points- a significant handicap.
(both teams featured 5 defensive tds, so a wash on that count.)

in 05 (regular season), they scored over 20 points 3 times. 2 of those games featured defensive touchdowns. To go 11-5 with that anemic offense, to have the defense keep bringing their A game despite rampant disfunction on the offense, I gotta hand it to the 05 squad.

Going 1-3, then finishing the season 10-2 was astronomical. they never lost a game when the offense put up over 266 yards.
They also never lost a game where they score over 10 points on offense- they lost games when they scored 7, 7, 10, 9, and 10.

That was an amazing season top to bottom. Every offense that faced them looked inept- like they had never played a down together.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am going 05 all the way- allowing 202 points, 45 points less than the next best d.
Yeah, the d only allowed 203 in 01... But the 05 d had the offensive handicap.

The 2001 offense put up 338 points. The 05 offense put up 260 points- a significant handicap.
(both teams featured 5 defensive tds, so a wash on that count.)

in 05 (regular season), they scored over 20 points 3 times. 2 of those games featured defensive touchdowns. To go 11-5 with that anemic offense, to have the defense keep bringing their A game despite rampant disfunction on the offense, I gotta hand it to the 05 squad.

Going 1-3, then finishing the season 10-2 was astronomical. they never lost a game when the offense put up over 266 yards.
They also never lost a game where they score over 10 points on offense- they lost games when they scored 7, 7, 10, 9, and 10.

That was an amazing season top to bottom. Every offense that faced them looked inept- like they had never played a down together.

Ok again..This wasn't about what defense was the best. It was about what TEAM was the best.

Boochee Man

Liked Posts:
Greg Olsen, Matt Forte, Johnny Knox, Julius Peppers, and Jay Cutler make 2010 an easy decision for second best team of the 2000's Bears

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Greg Olsen, Matt Forte, Johnny Knox, Julius Peppers, and Jay Cutler make 2010 an easy decision for second best team of the 2000's Bears

That was my argument for 2012, except instead of Knox and Olsen you had Marshall and Jeffery.

The results were bad, but on paper they had the best collection of talent on both sides of the ball.

Boochee Man

Liked Posts:
2001 and 2005 didn't have any type of a passing game. At least Sex Cannon aired it out a bit in 06. Obviously Cutler holds Bears passing records so I'm not even going to go there.