Fastball!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This a documentary on Netflix and it is outstanding. Its all about the fastball with greats talking about the hardest throwers and even predicting who was the hardest thrower ever recorded. Well done. I suggest anyone who likes the history of the game to watch it. 5 stars. I wont spoil who they say had the hardest fastball, but I will say there calculations say it was harder than Chapman's 105.1

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Steve Dalkowski was a flash in the pan minor league pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles, but peers raved that he was the hardest throwers in the big leagues. Dalkowski's legend grew stronger when Ted Williams claimed he could not even see the ball from Dalkowski. Dalkowski struck out 1,396 in 995 minor league innings when he reportedly hit 105 MPH on numerous occasions.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steve Dalkowski was a flash in the pan minor league pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles, but peers raved that he was the hardest throwers in the big leagues. Dalkowski's legend grew stronger when Ted Williams claimed he could not even see the ball from Dalkowski. Dalkowski struck out 1,396 in 995 minor league innings when he reportedly hit 105 MPH on numerous occasions.

So, you watched it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, I just knew about Dalkowski

You dont bring him up unless you know something about the documentary, but he still wasnt the fastest. He maybe could have been, but there is no video of him pitching.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In video games it was always Satchel Page from the negro leagues that could throw 110, but not allowed in MLB

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Thanks. . Ill check it out later when I get home

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
My boss gave me the details on it. (108 mph for the fastest guy, yes?)

Bernstein was apparently talking about it with Chapman. Not the movie, but that the fastest pitchers are alive today and that no one in the past threw this fast. It was Bernstein at his utmost ignorance from what I was told. :lol:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Bernstein was apparently talking about it with Chapman. Not the movie, but that the fastest pitchers are alive today and that no one in the past threw this fast. It was Bernstein at his utmost ignorance from what I was told. :lol:

You can get that everyday with that yahoo, Brett. His pathetic baseball acumen is right there M-F for everyone to laugh at.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have to try and make time to watch, did they have a list of the hardest throwing pitchers?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yes to all

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have to try and make time to watch, did they have a list of the hardest throwing pitchers?

Not exactly a list, but a ton of HOF's and hard throwers from Bob Gibson, Goose Gossage, tony Gwynn, George Brett, Mike Schmidt, and plenty of others. They also use old footage and even the playing field on how pitchers get clocked today and using footage to show what the MPH would be. They start off with Walter Johnson all the way up to Chapman. Names you havent heard and names you know well.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He might not be the hardest thrower but the guy I immediately thought of was Ryne Duren. He carved out a ML career despite the fact that he walked nearly as many as he struck out...and he struck out a lot of guys. I remember stories of him coming into pitch with his coke bottom glasses and big time heat. He would purposely hit the backstop on the fly with pitch or two in warm ups. LOL, nice intimidation factor.

I never heard of Dalkowski, must've been before my time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing Ryan

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing Ryan

This is what Im thinking. Nolan Ryan had the nastiest fastball and didn't even have any off speed stuff until his 5th or 6th season. The guy was a beast. And he didn't throw a cutter. He threw mostly 4 seam fastballs that guys who hit against him swore rose. Any body who knows anything about physics knows a fastball cannot rise but a lot of guys swore his fastball rose.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Nolan Ryan was one of the most overrated pitchers of all time. Most years he wasnt even the best pitcher on his own team

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nolan Ryan was one of the most overrated pitchers of all time. Most years he wasnt even the best pitcher on his own team

108.6 MPH. Calling Nolan Ryan over rated may be the dumbest thing you have ever said on here. Do you hate success? Seems like you do.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
108.6 MPH. Calling Nolan Ryan over rated may be the dumbest thing you have ever said on here. Do you hate success? Seems like you do.
Ryan, never threw 108 mph, lololololololo

Ryan was rarely even the best pitcher on his own team. Look it up. Seaver was better, Blylevan was better, Tannana was better

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ryan, never threw 108 mph, lololololololo

Ryan was rarely even the best pitcher on his own team. Look it up. Seaver was better, Blylevan was better, Tannana was better

In this doc, they used SCIENCE. Ryan in 1968 is the fastest fastball of all time. 108.6. lololololololololo

Last edited:

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
In this doc, they used SCIENCE. Ryan in 1968 is the fast's fastball of all time. 108.6. lololololololololo
Not buying it. In the late 60s the Mets were trying to trade his ass and could barely get any offers for him. Again, here was rarely even the best pitcher on his own team. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLO