Cubs Trade Dan Vogelbach for LHRP Mike Montgomery

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Interestingly, stats wise Montgomery looks a lot like Wood. .162/.240/.309 for wood vs L and .162/.269/.254 for Montgomery. They are #40 and #42 in wOBA(Montgomery is 2 points better).

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've been saying all along that there were other options out there other than the Yankee over priced meat market...of course, this option never came to mind. If Nathan has a three good months in the tank, the pen just might be what they're looking for. I agree with Silence, Maddon really likes Coz...I can't believe he turned to hot garbage in one off season. They also need to get Montgomery into some games in a hurry to see if he's the real deal.

czman

Liked Posts:
Vogelbach was hitting very well in AAA and had no place to play and the Cubs got a LH with about as much control as Vogelbach. Montgomery is entering his prime right now, so my guess is the Cubs will have him till he starts to suck or becomes a FA. I looked at Montgomery's numbers and he could be a real nice addition. I hope the Cubs bought low and sold high on this one.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Love the move. Montgomery is under team control for the next 5.5 seasons and Vogelbach was never going to crack the lineup in Chicago. Still expect them to make another move, Theo made a comment as to how they wanted to keep the prospect cupboard stacked for future trades.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Little sad on Blackburn. He is under the same model Hendricks is.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Good deal. Sets up the playoff roster quite well

C- Montero, Ross, Contreras
IF - Rizzo, LaStella, Baez, Zobrist, Russell, Bryant
OF - Fowler, Heyward, Soler, Szczur
SP - Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hendricks
Long - Hammel
Bullpen - Wood, Montgomery, Cahill, Edwards, Nathan/Grimm, Strop, Rondon

Wouldn't be shocked at a Soler deal for a rental bat. Beltran, Reddick are the two clear front runners there. Cubs could throw in Grimm if Nathan is ready at all and not really lose anything off the team here.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
As much as Almora needs to improve his hitting, I would rather have him on the playoff roster than Soler for defense and base running alone

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
As much as Almora needs to improve his hitting, I would rather have him on the playoff roster than Soler for defense and base running alone

If Soler is on this team, he is making the post season roster. He had way to good of a post season last year.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
If Soler is on this team, he is making the post season roster. He had way to good of a post season last year.
and he has sucked this year. Players need to earn their roster spot

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, we will find out because Fowler is back Friday. Soler will be right behind him after a few more rehab games to get his timing back.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
He had a 130 AB's and the last 50 was over a .750 OPS. Sample size. Say it with me, sample size.
What his OPS after the 7th inning? No wait, he is replaced after the 7th inning.....nevermind

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
Finally Vogelbach's gone. Nothing against the guy, he'll probably become a fine MLB player. I just got tired of hearing and seeing his name and reflexively thinking, "there's no place for him here."

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Finally Vogelbach's gone. Nothing against the guy, he'll probably become a fine MLB player. I just got tired of hearing and seeing his name and reflexively thinking, "there's no place for him here."
Kind of reminds me a little like Schwarber at the plate. He gonna be a good player. Right though, no place here for him with super star Anthony Rizzo at 1b.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What his OPS after the 7th inning? No wait, he is replaced after the 7th inning.....nevermind

Who said he was starting every game? Also, if he is replaced in the the 7th. You should be happy. That means the Cubs are winning.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kind of reminds me a little like Schwarber at the plate. He gonna be a good player. Right though, no place here for him with super star Anthony Rizzo at 1b.

Volgelbach is a complete hitter that sacrifices power for average. He has light tower power, but would rather hit it to all fields. Guy is a pro at the plate and one of the best approaches in the Cubs system that includes the majors. He has worked hard at first base and has progressed, but he will never be anything of a good first baseman. He is not nearly as athletic as Schwarber. I loved Volgy's bat. He just had no place on this team.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Like the Montgomery trade to a certain extent. He's a definite upgrade over Richards. However Montgomery is not gonna put a complete end to our pen problems. I think we still need help. Theo needs to make another trade (preferably someone that throws really hard). Most everywhere else I think were are fine.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Volgelbach is a complete hitter that sacrifices power for average. He has light tower power, but would rather hit it to all fields. Guy is a pro at the plate and one of the best approaches in the Cubs system that includes the majors. He has worked hard at first base and has progressed, but he will never be anything of a good first baseman. He is not nearly as athletic as Schwarber. I loved Volgy's bat. He just had no place on this team.
Whatever though. He's was good trade bait. Advantage us.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Like the Montgomery trade to a certain extent. He's a definite upgrade over Richards. However Montgomery is not gonna put a complete end to our pen problems. I think we still need help. Theo needs to make another trade (preferably someone that throws really hard). Most everywhere else I think were are fine.

Edward's outings in the next week or so will tell that tale. He may or may not be that guy but I sure like what I see so far.