DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good move.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Costly move, but it was needed and really doesn't affect the Cubs window at all.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He had a 130 AB's and the last 50 was over a .750 OPS. Sample size. Say it with me, sample size.

He tore it up when he got back from injury last year and it carried right into the playoffs....no guarantee that will happen again, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Costly move, but it was needed and really doesn't affect the Cubs window at all.

Yeah that's what I'm happiest about. It doesn't affect our long term outlook. Rizzo is our 1B and if something happens to him - Schwarber would take over.

There really is no scenario in which Voglebach could play here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I am glad for Vogiebomb. Only would be DH if the NL ever voted it in, but we still have Soler and Schwarber for that role. The way Scuzzy is hitting off the bench he would also be a good choice. At least now Vogie gets a chance to play in the big leagues.

Dont know what this is doing to change the Yankee deal, you would think trying to keep Heyward and Lackey from St Louis, the cubs would be interested in keeping Miller/Chapman away from Washington, who is supposedly offering that Turner speedster. Even after last years debacle in Washington, they will still do it again, and apparently chapman is ok to hooking back up with Dusty.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Little sad on Blackburn. He is under the same model Hendricks is.

Agreed, Blackburn will probably have a better career then Vogie. Theo just wants to continue buying pitching. This kid had a shot. After Edwards went to the pen, its really just Underwood left as a rotation prospect until this years draft class throws a few minor league seasons.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I am glad for Vogiebomb. Only would be DH if the NL ever voted it in, but we still have Soler and Schwarber for that role. The way Scuzzy is hitting off the bench he would also be a good choice. At least now Vogie gets a chance to play in the big leagues.

Dont know what this is doing to change the Yankee deal, you would think trying to keep Heyward and Lackey from St Louis, the cubs would be interested in keeping Miller/Chapman away from Washington, who is supposedly offering that Turner speedster. Even after last years debacle in Washington, they will still do it again, and apparently chapman is ok to hooking back up with Dusty.
You dont trade for players to keep them away from other teams

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

I'm not sure how costly it was. Vogelbach was the ultimate redundant asset, he was positionally blocked not very good at the position he was blocked at. It had been long believed that he would be a sweetener in a larger deal so the fact that he led a trade for a position of need is kind of remarkable.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Also, we will find out because Fowler is back Friday. Soler will be right behind him after a few more rehab games to get his timing back.

Well, I have read that they might keep Soler in AAA for a while, I think they are looking to get him back when they need a spark and Almora freezes over.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Good deal. Sets up the playoff roster quite well

C- Montero, Ross, Contreras
IF - Rizzo, LaStella, Baez, Zobrist, Russell, Bryant
OF - Fowler, Heyward, Soler, Szczur
SP - Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hendricks
Long - Hammel
Bullpen - Wood, Montgomery, Cahill, Edwards, Nathan/Grimm, Strop, Rondon

Wouldn't be shocked at a Soler deal for a rental bat. Beltran, Reddick are the two clear front runners there. Cubs could throw in Grimm if Nathan is ready at all and not really lose anything off the team here.

Outfield is actually going to include Bryant and Zobrist in the playoffs. I expect one of them to be in the outfield per playoff game.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Yeah, I don't see the keep away aspect. What you don't want to do is grossly overpay in a seller's market. If Washington trades Trea Turner in a deal for Miller they will have had eaten a large dose of stupid pills. Be my guest Mike Rizzo, Dusty and company.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I have read that they might keep Soler in AAA for a while, I think they are looking to get him back when they need a spark and Almora freezes over.

You are only allowed so many rehab games. He is going to use most of the allotted games. He isn't sitting down there for a big stretch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Can the Andrew Miller ridiculousness stop now? This is our lefty with Wood. May add another bullpen guy, but it wont be for Schwarber.

Now, I got nitwits on CBS saying Scwarber, Soler, plus for Chapman and Miller. Time to be "bold". Anyone watch the game today? Tim Kurkjian was saying how it makes no sense to trade Schwarber for a reliever. He sounded offended people even think that is a half way smart deal.

Kurkjian is a smart guy. Theo should be offended. You don't trade 150 HRs over the next 4-5 years for 100 innings of Andrew Miller over the next 1.5 years. I don't care if Miller is the next Goose Gossage.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With Contreras taking over LF , there no urgency to rush Soler back now.

You can probably also add the possibility of adding Reddick.

Soler will get to play everyday in Iowa for next week or two and could possibly be traded after showing teams he good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Minor league rehab assignments can last 20 days for a positional player. Its probably why he said much longer. Fowler only played a couple of games. Soler is going to take u most of those 20 days to get his timing right. He also has had reoccurring hamstring issues, so they will be more cautious.

I just thought they could last 20 days for a player who is out of options. I dont think Soler ever went back down after he was called up, so even though they are saying its rehab, maybe its just not telling him he is going down.

My thought, is the guy has leg problems so I would rather he spend the games he is available with the big club. They also had Fowler DH'ing, so I guess they were worried about him running around the outfield.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really like this move, spending big on a reliever is something that would have left me scratching my head.

Trading Schwarber would have left me looking for a weapon. Added to the fact that it would be dumb, Theo talks about Schwarber like he is his son. The entire Schwarber to the Yankees narrative seems so uninformed.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Ray's couldn't fix him. He is excelling as a pen arm. Don't try to fix something that works.

The need was a LH arm upgrade to Richard. Richard was running 21 hits in 13 IP. That is pure crap. That was a huge need on the team.

Patton is another I would want to off load also. 12 Hits in 12.1 IP.

The pen will be: Rondon, Strop, Wood, Montgomery, Edwards, Grimm, Patton When Cahill gets back from the DL he replaces Patton. Grimm still is running 34 K's in 31.1 IP so they may keep him in situations where they need a K.

So I don't believe they will make another more. The pen looks set now.

I don't think they're done yet. Im not saying were going to get Miller or Chapman but at this point I would trade Scwharber for Miller and Chapman. It makes sense on paper. Miller is a lights out after 7th inning guy. Like saying "if we don't get a lead going into the 7th were screwed against the Cubs" . I like this the more I think of it. With Miller we are probably going to win the WS this year. I say go ahead and pull the trigger. Man you don't get opportunities like this very often. Schwarber is going to be great but where's he going to play. LF? Catcher? I don't see him playing either position for the Cubs next year. Everyone is saying he's more like an AL player and this makes sense because he can likely DH or play 1B for any AL team. The Cubs just gave away Volgenbach, now its time to grow some balls and get Miller and Chapman. If we don't were probably going to be trying to hit against him with the Nationals or worse the Giants. Its kind of like why the Cubs got Lackey and Heyward. Not only did we get these guys but we deprived the Cardinals of having them. This is good enough for me.