CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Should be a good trade for both teams and players.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can the Andrew Miller ridiculousness stop now? This is our lefty with Wood. May add another bullpen guy, but it wont be for Schwarber.

Now, I got nitwits on CBS saying Scwarber, Soler, plus for Chapman and Miller. Time to be "bold". Anyone watch the game today? Tim Kurkjian was saying how it makes no sense to trade Schwarber for a reliever. He sounded offended people even think that is a half way smart deal.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
His velocity jumped when he was moved to the pen. Sounds like a solid arm.

.164 and under .600 OPS against lefties. Exactly what the Cubs were looking for. They say he is going to slot into the 7th/8th slot depending on matchups.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He would also be an interesting guy to stretch out after this year if the Cubs could "fix" him. He was a high draft pick that started his whole career in the minors.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Can the Andrew Miller ridiculousness stop now? This is our lefty with Wood. May add another bullpen guy, but it wont be for Schwarber.

Now, I got nitwits on CBS saying Scwarber, Soler, plus for Chapman and Miller. Time to be "bold". Anyone watch the game today? Tim Kurkjian was saying how it makes no sense to trade Schwarber for a reliever. He sounded offended people even think that is a half way smart deal.

When people post that nonsense I'm embarassed for them.

Wouldn't shock me if they made another trade for a lefty bat, if the guy they want is available. If not they'll hold fast.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
When people post that nonsense I'm embarassed for them.

Wouldn't shock me if they made another trade for a lefty bat, if the guy they want is available. If not they'll hold fast.

I could see a lefty bat, but they really like Cogs. I think the bench will be much stronger once Soler and Fowler come back.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Montgomery was part of the Shields trade to the Royals. Former top 100 prospect if memory serves. High ground ball rate is typically something this front office likes and he has it in spades at 54.0% on his career. He could probably start if he had to as well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He would also be an interesting guy to stretch out after this year if the Cubs could "fix" him. He was a high draft pick that started his whole career in the minors.

Ray's couldn't fix him. He is excelling as a pen arm. Don't try to fix something that works.

The need was a LH arm upgrade to Richard. Richard was running 21 hits in 13 IP. That is pure crap. That was a huge need on the team.

Patton is another I would want to off load also. 12 Hits in 12.1 IP.

The pen will be: Rondon, Strop, Wood, Montgomery, Edwards, Grimm, Patton When Cahill gets back from the DL he replaces Patton. Grimm still is running 34 K's in 31.1 IP so they may keep him in situations where they need a K.

So I don't believe they will make another more. The pen looks set now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ray's couldn't fix him. He is excelling as a pen arm. Don't try to fix something that works.

The need was a LH arm upgrade to Richard. Richard was running 21 hits in 13 IP. That is pure crap. That was a huge need on the team.

Patton is another I would want to off load also. 12 Hits in 12.1 IP.

The pen will be: Rondon, Strop, Wood, Montgomery, Edwards, Grimm, Patton When Cahill gets back from the DL he replaces Patton. Grimm still is running 34 K's in 31.1 IP so they may keep him in situations where they need a K.

So I don't believe they will make another more. The pen looks set now.

I said after the season. At age 27 and years of control, I would assume they are going to look into it. He was suppose to start Sunday for the Mariners.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jordan Pries coming to the cubs also

Paul Blackburn to the M's

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I said after the season. At age 27 and years of control, I would assume they are going to look into it. He was suppose to start Sunday for the Mariners.

Those numbers don't suggest success as a starter. In the pen his K/9 went from 6.4 to 7.8. That is a big jump and suggests that he is better in situational pitching. BB/9 again improved 3.7 to 2.63. These are not small changes going on here.

Can he? IDK but the numbers don't suggest it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That said I don't undervalue what a lefty in the pen can bring. There are times I wish we had Marshall back.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Really liking the control on Mike Montgomery's contract. The cubs are REALLY thin on left handed pitching above A+ and Wood and Cahill could be gone after this year. There's Rosscup returning from injury and Concepcion but not much else. Having him for 5 years assuming he is good limits some of that blow. Matusz also could leave in theory but with him and Leathersich in the higher minors they have some depth there for this year.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who knows if Joe Nathan has anything left but he was on Waddle and Sylvie yesterday and is ready, said he's been throwing around 93 MPH and threw in games 3 out of 4 days in AAA feels fine.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Did a little digging on Pries. Not much info out there meaning he's more of a emergency starter in AAA. His numbers don't look terrible though. His k/9 and bb/9 over his minor league career are 7.6 and 2.7. Not terrible for a fringy stater and he's only 26.

Additionally, here's some scouting stuff on Montgomery from post Shields trade before he went to the M's

Scouting Grades* (present/future): FB: 6/6 | Curve: 4/5 | Slider: 5/6 | Changeup: 5/6 | Control: 3/5 | Overall: 5/6
The enigmatic lefty came to the Rays from the Royals in the big James Shields trade. The stuff has, and continues to be there for Montgomery, but the results haven't. He was demoted in 2012 and still struggled in Double-A. Perhaps a change of scenery will help, as Montgomery still has the potential to throw three above-average pitches with his fastball, slider and changeup. His curve gives him a fourth Major League average pitch. More than anything, his issues have been command and delivery-related. If the Rays can get him straightened out, he still has the tools to be one of the better young left-handers in the game.

http://m.rays.mlb.com/news/article/64391462