Bears projected to start 3 rookies

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are certainly following their plan of getting younger. 8 of their projected 11 offensive starters have 5 years or less ... and the same is true for their defense.

One week until training camp starts. Can't wait.
They really don't have much of a choice given the attrition of the vets on the roster over the last few seasons and the absolute dearth of reliable veteran talent still on the roster itself.

Washington

Liked Posts:
They really don't have much of a choice given the attrition of the vets on the roster over the last few seasons and the absolute dearth of reliable veteran talent still on the roster itself.

Correct. Really no choice at LG and safety. Unrein might start initially but I expect Bullard to be there in short order this year. I personally don't see Gumby being a starter this year unless Pernell's fat overwhelms his knees. Floyd seems to be situational to me, all season long. I see both Houston and Young getting the better results over Gumby.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I don't get how McPhee gets all the fat jokes when we had a 350 pound offensive tackle

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Out of the three rookie projected starters I have no problem with Whitehair.....he was the consensus best guard in the draft. I really would not have a problem with Bullard starting as well as he is a very good run stopper which is one of things the Bears D needs.

Deon Bush may start simply because they have nothing there.....

Out of those three that scares me the most.

I think the draining of talent from the team is overstated as those players really weren't going to put the Bears over the top last year.....it was time to move on, not hang on.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Out of the three rookie projected starters I have no problem with Whitehair.....he was the consensus best guard in the draft. .

Ummm, no he wasn't.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not necessarily. Harold Jones-Quartey or DeAndre Houston-Carson could surprise. I would not be shocked to see Harold Jones-Quartey get the start day 1.

Damn, how could I forget about HJQ. He actually made a few plays last year. I don't expect much from Houston-Carson this years, maybe a ST contributor.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Ummm, no he wasn't.

Yeah , he sorta was.

NFL.com
Offensive guards/centers

1. Cody Whitehair, Kansas State (OG)
2. Joshua Garnett, Stanford (OG)
3. Vadal Alexander, LSU (OG)
4. Ryan Kelly, Alabama (C)
5. Nick Martin, Notre Dame (C)

Draftek.com

1 Cody Whitehair

--
2 Vadal Alexander

--
3 Joshua Garnett

4 Landon Turner

5 Christian Westerman

CBS.com
Rank Player Pos. Pos. Rank School Class Ht. Wt. Proj. Round
39 Cody Whitehair OG 1 Kansas State rSr 6-4 301 1-2
50 Joshua Garnett OG 2 Stanford Sr 6-4 312 2
61 Christian Westerman OG 3 Arizona State rSr 6-3 298 2
73 Joe Dahl OG 4 Washington State rSr 6-4 304 2-3
82 *Isaac Seumalo OG 5 Oregon State rJr 6-4 303 3

Walters.com

Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford
Height: 6-5. Weight: 325. Arm: 33.88. Hand: 9.88.
40 Time: 5.32.
Projected Round (2016): 2-3.
4/26/16: I sampled a variety of teams, and overall, Garnett came back the most as the top guard in the 2016 NFL Draft, though it varied from franchise to franchise. On the whole, teams felt that this was a weak guard class and there wasn't much talent at the position.

Last season, Garnett blocked well for Stanford, being well-balanced in the ground game and with the passing attack. He is good at pulling and has nice technique for the NFL. Garnett has the potential to add strength and could be a difference-maker as a run blocker at the next level. He needs to build up his upper body, but he did well on the combine bench press, so it seems he has some natural strength to him. At the Senior Bowl, Garnett was decent. He was better at the combine with his impressive workout.

8/15/15: Garnett had a mixed 2014 season for Stanford. It was his first season as a starter, and his run blocking is ahead of his pass blocking. As a sophomore in 2013, he rotated into the game in the jumbo package. Garnett has good size to him.

Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 300. Arm: 31.38. Hand: 10.
40 Time: 5.08.
4/26/16: Whitehair is undersized for guard or tackle in the NFL. Some pundits rate him higher, but I know teams that have third-round grades on him and one that has him lower on Day 3. A few other teams said they had a late second-round, early third-round grade on Whitehair, so opinions are split on him.

Whitehair played left tackle for the Wildcats, but for the NFL, he's a guard. He struggled against Oklahoma State defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah and needs to get stronger for the NFL. At the combine, that was illustrated when Whitehair put up the lowest bench press total of any offensive lineman (16 reps).

As a guard, Whitehair has better quickness, athleticism and movement skills. On the edge, he doesn't have the athleticism for tackle, plus he has extremely short arms. Whitehair was solid at the Senior Bowl, but it illustrated that adding power is a good idea for him and he isn't an edge blocker.

8/15/15: Whitehair was a Second-Team All-Big XII pick in 2014 and was a quality blocker for the Wildcats. It was his second-straight season as a second-team pick. He broke into the starting lineup as a freshman and has started 38-of-39 games. Whitehair has played tackle and guard for Kansas State, but for the NFL, he projects better as the latter.

Joe Thuney, G, N.C. State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 304. Arm: 32.25. Hand: 9.63.
40 Time: 4.95.
Projected Round (2016): 3-5.
4/26/16: Thuney is a versatile offensive lineman who played every position on the line during his collegiate career. He has versatile size for the NFL, but would fit best as a guard. Thuney doesn't have the athleticism or the length to play tackle as a starter, though he could serve as an emergency tackle. Thuney's run blocking is ahead of his pass protection. He could develop into a starting guard before too long.

Sebastian Tretola, G, Arkansas
Height: 6-4. Weight: 314. Arm: 30.5. Hand: 10.
40 Time: 5.45.
4/26/16: Tretola is a bit of a love/hate prospect. Some teams have graded him on the second day of the 2016 NFL Draft, yet others have him much lower. The teams that don't like him say he is a tough player in the phone booth but limited athletically with extremely short arms.

At Arkansas, Tretola was a power run blocker who was also rather dependable in pass protection, but that latter phase is what he will need to improve the most in the NFL. At the Senior Bowl, Tretola had a solid week and achieved movement at the point of attack, but he struggled in space and had some issues in the pass-protection one-on-ones.

Tretola was the Razorbacks' starter at left guard in 2014 and didn't allow a sack all season. He also had only four penalties. In 2011, Tretola was on Nevada's scout team, and the next year, he played in four games for the Wolf Pack. Tretola spent 2013 playing at the JUCO level for Iowa Western.

Vadal Alexander, G/OT, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 326. Arm: 34.5 Hand: 10.5.
40 Time: 5.57.
4/26/16: Alexander was a tough run blocker as a right tackle in 2015, but he lumbers and looks slow-footed in pass protection for that position in the NFL. Moving back inside to guard could be his pro future. NFL evaluators say they see Alexander as a guard, and he's going to have to watch his weight at the next level.

At the Senior Bowl, sources said that Alexander had trimmed down from when they saw him at LSU during the season. In practice, he had some struggles in the pass-blocking one-on-ones, reinforcing the view of him as a better fit at guard. By the combine, Alexander had lost 10 pounds from his Senior Bowl weight, but he didn't impress in the field drills in Indianapolis.

8/15/15: Alexander had a quality 2014 season. He was a powerful run-blocker with quickness and athleticism. He was wise to return for his senior year though. Alexander needs to continue to improve his pass protection and his abilities to play in space and mirror speed rushers. Following La'el Collins' departure for the NFL, LSU is reportedly planning on moving Alexander to right tackle for 2015. It wouldn't be surprising though if NFL teams view him more as a guard.

Alexander has been an asset as a run-blocker for LSU over the past three seasons. As a freshman in 2012, he started nine games at right tackle before spending his sophomore year at left guard. Alexander was a road-grading guard for the Tigers in 2013. He paved the way for Jeremy Hill and also did a good job of protecting quarterback Zach Metten

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
FirstTimer about to explode this thread to 5+ pages over modo's use of the word "consensus" while calling everyone idiots.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah , he sorta was.

NFL.com
Offensive guards/centers

1. Cody Whitehair, Kansas State (OG)
2. Joshua Garnett, Stanford (OG)
3. Vadal Alexander, LSU (OG)
4. Ryan Kelly, Alabama (C)
5. Nick Martin, Notre Dame (C)

Draftek.com

1 Cody Whitehair

--
2 Vadal Alexander

--
3 Joshua Garnett

4 Landon Turner

5 Christian Westerman

CBS.com
Rank Player Pos. Pos. Rank School Class Ht. Wt. Proj. Round
39 Cody Whitehair OG 1 Kansas State rSr 6-4 301 1-2
50 Joshua Garnett OG 2 Stanford Sr 6-4 312 2
61 Christian Westerman OG 3 Arizona State rSr 6-3 298 2
73 Joe Dahl OG 4 Washington State rSr 6-4 304 2-3
82 *Isaac Seumalo OG 5 Oregon State rJr 6-4 303 3

Walters.com

Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford
Height: 6-5. Weight: 325. Arm: 33.88. Hand: 9.88.
40 Time: 5.32.
4/26/16: I sampled a variety of teams, and overall, Garnett came back the most as the top guard in the 2016 NFL Draft, though it varied from franchise to franchise. On the whole, teams felt that this was a weak guard class and there wasn't much talent at the position.

Last season, Garnett blocked well for Stanford, being well-balanced in the ground game and with the passing attack. He is good at pulling and has nice technique for the NFL. Garnett has the potential to add strength and could be a difference-maker as a run blocker at the next level. He needs to build up his upper body, but he did well on the combine bench press, so it seems he has some natural strength to him. At the Senior Bowl, Garnett was decent. He was better at the combine with his impressive workout.

8/15/15: Garnett had a mixed 2014 season for Stanford. It was his first season as a starter, and his run blocking is ahead of his pass blocking. As a sophomore in 2013, he rotated into the game in the jumbo package. Garnett has good size to him.

Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 300. Arm: 31.38. Hand: 10.
40 Time: 5.08.
4/26/16: Whitehair is undersized for guard or tackle in the NFL. Some pundits rate him higher, but I know teams that have third-round grades on him and one that has him lower on Day 3. A few other teams said they had a late second-round, early third-round grade on Whitehair, so opinions are split on him.

Whitehair played left tackle for the Wildcats, but for the NFL, he's a guard. He struggled against Oklahoma State defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah and needs to get stronger for the NFL. At the combine, that was illustrated when Whitehair put up the lowest bench press total of any offensive lineman (16 reps).

As a guard, Whitehair has better quickness, athleticism and movement skills. On the edge, he doesn't have the athleticism for tackle, plus he has extremely short arms. Whitehair was solid at the Senior Bowl, but it illustrated that adding power is a good idea for him and he isn't an edge blocker.

8/15/15: Whitehair was a Second-Team All-Big XII pick in 2014 and was a quality blocker for the Wildcats. It was his second-straight season as a second-team pick. He broke into the starting lineup as a freshman and has started 38-of-39 games. Whitehair has played tackle and guard for Kansas State, but for the NFL, he projects better as the latter.

Joe Thuney, G, N.C. State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 304. Arm: 32.25. Hand: 9.63.
40 Time: 4.95.
4/26/16: Thuney is a versatile offensive lineman who played every position on the line during his collegiate career. He has versatile size for the NFL, but would fit best as a guard. Thuney doesn't have the athleticism or the length to play tackle as a starter, though he could serve as an emergency tackle. Thuney's run blocking is ahead of his pass protection. He could develop into a starting guard before too long.

Sebastian Tretola, G, Arkansas
Height: 6-4. Weight: 314. Arm: 30.5. Hand: 10.
40 Time: 5.45.
4/26/16: Tretola is a bit of a love/hate prospect. Some teams have graded him on the second day of the 2016 NFL Draft, yet others have him much lower. The teams that don't like him say he is a tough player in the phone booth but limited athletically with extremely short arms.

At Arkansas, Tretola was a power run blocker who was also rather dependable in pass protection, but that latter phase is what he will need to improve the most in the NFL. At the Senior Bowl, Tretola had a solid week and achieved movement at the point of attack, but he struggled in space and had some issues in the pass-protection one-on-ones.

Tretola was the Razorbacks' starter at left guard in 2014 and didn't allow a sack all season. He also had only four penalties. In 2011, Tretola was on Nevada's scout team, and the next year, he played in four games for the Wolf Pack. Tretola spent 2013 playing at the JUCO level for Iowa Western.

Vadal Alexander, G/OT, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 326. Arm: 34.5 Hand: 10.5.
40 Time: 5.57.
4/26/16: Alexander was a tough run blocker as a right tackle in 2015, but he lumbers and looks slow-footed in pass protection for that position in the NFL. Moving back inside to guard could be his pro future. NFL evaluators say they see Alexander as a guard, and he's going to have to watch his weight at the next level.

At the Senior Bowl, sources said that Alexander had trimmed down from when they saw him at LSU during the season. In practice, he had some struggles in the pass-blocking one-on-ones, reinforcing the view of him as a better fit at guard. By the combine, Alexander had lost 10 pounds from his Senior Bowl weight, but he didn't impress in the field drills in Indianapolis.

8/15/15: Alexander had a quality 2014 season. He was a powerful run-blocker with quickness and athleticism. He was wise to return for his senior year though. Alexander needs to continue to improve his pass protection and his abilities to play in space and mirror speed rushers. Following La'el Collins' departure for the NFL, LSU is reportedly planning on moving Alexander to right tackle for 2015. It wouldn't be surprising though if NFL teams view him more as a guard.

Alexander has been an asset as a run-blocker for LSU over the past three seasons. As a freshman in 2012, he started nine games at right tackle before spending his sophomore year at left guard. Alexander was a road-grading guard for the Tigers in 2013. He paved the way for Jeremy Hill and also did a good job of protecting quarterback Zach Metten

McShay, Kiper, SI, and a host of others had Garnett ahead of Whitehair as well.

In either case it's kind of silly to say Whitehair was the consensus best guard in the draft when we saw a guard go in the 1st round and Whitehair in the 2nd and the guard taken ahead of him was an All American, Outland Trophy, and won best Pac 12 lineman.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I don't get how McPhee gets all the fat jokes when we had a 350 pound offensive tackle

Pretty simple here. Offensive linemen are known as fatties. McPhat is an OLB where speed is expected and the dude looks like he's been on the same high fat diet Gould went on. It does make me wonder if the staff got the wrong number and are waking up McPhat to eat every couple of hours instead of Gumby? They're both OLBs so it could be an honest mistake.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Pretty simple here. Offensive linemen are known as fatties. McPhat is an OLB where speed is expected and the dude looks like he's been on the same high fat diet Gould went on. It does make me wonder if the staff got the wrong number and are waking up McPhat to eat every couple of hours instead of Gumby? They're both OLBs so it could be an honest mistake.

If he went on Gould's diet, he would probably lose weight. Gould is 185 lbs so his TDEE is way less.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Out of the three rookie projected starters I have no problem with Whitehair.....he was the consensus best guard in the draft. I really would not have a problem with Bullard starting as well as he is a very good run stopper which is one of things the Bears D needs.

Deon Bush may start simply because they have nothing there.....

Out of those three that scares me the most.

I think the draining of talent from the team is overstated as those players really weren't going to put the Bears over the top last year.....it was time to move on, not hang on.

lol just because the Bears aren't going to win the SB this year does not at all mean the loss of vet talent is overrated. Total non sequitur.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not necessarily. Harold Jones-Quartey or DeAndre Houston-Carson could surprise.

There is also Olivia Newton-John or Harry Dean Stanton.