Graphic shows how good Charles Tillman really was...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Save you a click. Doing God's work.

CnuazjxXgAAx6Kz.jpg

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Nice graph, thanks.

Bort

Liked Posts:
In before firstimer

Countdown to FirstTimer condescendingly explaining to us that anyone who thinks Tillman has any shot whatsoever at the HoF is an idiot..... 3.... 2..... 1.....

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
In before firstimer

Countdown to FirstTimer condescendingly explaining to us that anyone who thinks Tillman has any shot whatsoever at the HoF is an idiot..... 3.... 2..... 1.....

He was a unique guy. I never said any different.

I direct you all again to my post in the other thread:

Tillman was a pretty damn good football player. Had One truly elite year and one near elite season IMO. Other than that, a lot of pretty good seasons, but nothing note worthy. Even his one marquee number, 25% of them came in one season.

Very good player. Good dude. But if he played for any team other than the Bears we aren't sitting here having this conversation. I've said this before in regards to Tillman and to a lesser extent Forte, who FWIW I think was easier a better and more productive player than Tillman during his time in Chicago and I don't think Forte is a HOF running back.

The conversation would be: "Wow, Tillman retired. Really good guy. Pretty good football player. Unique specialty(or special move). Tip of the cap, best of luck to you in retirement."

The Hall of Fame wouldn't enter the discussion.

People need to actually go look at the CB's that are currently in the HOF. There are only like 15 or 16 of them and Tillman is nowhere near in their class. Two of them, (Lott and Woodson) excelled at safety as well. People need to understand how exclusive the NFL HOF is and how the voting process even works when they start saying "(Player X) is a HOF'er."

But whatever, you derps are going to derp.

Bort

Liked Posts:

......aaaaand we have liftoff!

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:

this is what happens when you have no leg to stand on

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Save you a click. Doing God's work.

CnuazjxXgAAx6Kz.jpg

This graph is great. Playing in a cover 2, "bend but don't break" defense, the key was always to force a turnover or a turn-over on downs before the other team scored. This proves that Tillman was one of the best ever at his position in that defense. And he definitely excelled in a zone based D.

However, I often felt he was somewhere in the middle of the pack in man-coverage.

I would love to see this chart re-created against the DB's who have made the HOF.

Think that would be a much more telling argument for why he should or should not make it. think PD's and opponents catch percentage are also important numbers that would be cool to chart against the HOF'ers.

With that, I believe he will be considered and will get a lot of votes. I don't see him making it, but would not argue if he did.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
you know lots of press/man cbs don't fair well in a cover two scheme either it does roll both ways

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
For the record, I do not feel him not making it (assuming he won't) is a reflection of whether he had a HOF career or not.

I think it is more an indictment of how the position is not evaluated for HOF enshrinement the way other positions are.

For instance, I still do not know how a 7 time pro-bowl center, 5 time all-pro, SB winner, and lead blocker for arguably the best RB in the history of the game is still being passed over.

brizoke

Liked Posts:

Aren't Tillman's numbers better than all of them? What are you judging them by?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I just realized that Tillman may be my favorite Bears player since Neal Anderson. He was an excellent player and an even better person. As for the HoF, FirstTimer is dead on here.

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
Am I the only one who sees that graph as being pretty inaccurate?

Just looking at the Int number for the two furthest ahead (Woodson and Reed)...Woodson shows 65 ints on NFL.com stats page, while this graph show him in the low 50's. Ed Reed shows 64, while this graph has him in the upper 50's.

Am I just missing something here?