IST: Cubs @ Brewers

TL1961

Liked Posts:
One thing I don't like about baseball replay
They allow teams to watch a replay for a minute or so before deciding if they want it reviewed..
Other sports don't do that

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Football coaches in booth watch replay and relay to head coach whether to challenge.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Theo has said he pays based what he thinks he will get out of a player vs pay for what they have done.

If there is a GM anywhere who doesn't, he should be fired immediately.

Only dumb fans ever discuss paying a guy for past heroics.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
31v9rbj-ncL.jpg

TL1961

Liked Posts:
F@"#ing Dodgers gave up a HR with 2?outs in 9th.

Cards are tied.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
F@"#ing Dodgers gave up a HR with 2?outs in 9th.

Cards are tied.

See the line score? Dodgers needed 13 hits to score their 3, the Cardinals 5.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is shear ignorance.

Contreras hit well while we lost every game as pitchers suddenly stunk.

Montero returned, and so did good pitching.

Why do so many fans ONLY count offense?

We have disagreed many time on certain things especially Castro. But, catcher is one thing where offense is a plus. Its not a coincidence our pitching has got better. He cant call a game and he is terrible at receiving balls. His block could use some work as well, but thats why he was brought up to learn from pros and the kid wants it. He was nothing until a year ago. Nothing in the baseball. He has worked his ass off to get here. I dont doubt he will learn.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This is shear ignorance.

Contreras hit well while we lost every game as pitchers suddenly stunk.

Montero returned, and so did good pitching.

Why do so many fans ONLY count offense?
FYI
Willson Contreras started 12 games as Catcher
Cubs were 5-7 in those games, so no they didn't lose every game he started and didn't stink because of him

They stunk with Ross and Montero catching the bulk of those games..

The good pitching returned after the long rest, not because of Montero

I'm not saying the kid don't have lots to learn, but they didn't lose those games cause he was catching

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
We have disagreed many time on certain things especially Castro. But, catcher is one thing where offense is a plus. Its not a coincidence our pitching has got better. He cant call a game and he is terrible at receiving balls. His block could use some work as well, but thats why he was brought up to learn from pros and the kid wants it. He was nothing until a year ago. Nothing in the baseball. He has worked his ass off to get here. I dont doubt he will learn.
This is extreme.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Clayton Richard???? No!!!!!!!
They better score more runs in top of 6th be4 putting him in

Heh. I had the same thought at the time. God I hate that guy. He just looks goofy, too.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I am confident he will learn and be fine behind the plate. But it is obvious that his poor D behind the plate outweighed a very fine offensive start. No matter how big an impact a player's poor D has, many continue to look only at offense.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
FYI
Willson Contreras started 12 games as Catcher
Cubs were 5-7 in those games, so no they didn't lose every game he started and didn't stink because of him

They stunk with Ross and Montero catching the bulk of those games..

The good pitching returned after the long rest, not because of Montero

I'm not saying the kid don't have lots to learn, but they didn't lose those games cause he was catching

Contreras being behind the plate was not the only factor, of course. But it was huge.

The whole point is that D matters, but for some reason, many fans simply can't see it. Maybe it comes down to being able to quantify it. If a guy has errors, they scream, but otherwise.....nothing.

For example, if a guy goes 3 for 4 at SS and can't get to ground balls, many fans praise the crap out of him. But if he gobbles up everything, and K's three times, they think he is killing us and should sit.

There are more defensive stats readily available these days, but it's nowhere near as obvious as what a guy does at the plate. The argument comes around constantly, people base their opinion on who should play solely on offensive contributions.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Contreras being behind the plate was not the only factor, of course. But it was huge.

The whole point is that D matters, but for some reason, many fans simply can't see it. Maybe it comes down to being able to quantify it. If a guy has errors, they scream, but otherwise.....nothing.

For example, if a guy goes 3 for 4 at SS and can't get to ground balls, many fans praise the crap out of him. But if he gobbles up everything, and K's three times, they think he is killing us and should sit.

There are more defensive stats readily available these days, but it's nowhere near as obvious as what a guy does at the plate. The argument comes around constantly, people base their opinion on who should play solely on offensive contributions.

Exactly. Teams that play well defensively usually have strong pitching. That's not a coincidence. Simply put...they go hand in hand.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

How do you figure it was huge...
They played near .500 ball with him behind the plate
Mostly because of the offense he brang...
Again, I agree he has some work to do..

My argument is with Contreras and Montero, not other position players who can't field a ball, not really the same argument..

Montero may be able to call his own game and is a good framer but what he lacks offensively and inability to throw runners out, etc hurts the team more then a kid who still learning to frame and call a game on his own, especially if the kid swinging a good stick.

Again, not diminishing the importance of pitch framing and game calling... Just saying id rather have Contreras still learning to do those two things with his bat ,strong arm , and energy over Montero ability to call pitches and frame but can't throw runners out or hit much anymore..

Again, all those games weren't loss with Contreras behind the plate , most were loss with Montero..
But the bulk of the blame for those losses doesn't fall on whoever was catching..
The bulk of it falls on just plain bad pitching, poor execution on offense, bad fielding

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@CSNMooney: Joe Maddon says #Cubs will activate Joe Nathan before Sunday's game in Milwaukee.

I'll predict by Aug. 2nd he will be release

41 YO, 2 yrs removed from playing, and was ineffective when he last played in 2014...

Just don't see it happening for him

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
@CSNMooney: Joe Maddon says #Cubs will activate Joe Nathan before Sunday's game in Milwaukee.

I'll predict by Aug. 2nd he will be release

41 YO, 2 yrs removed from playing, and was ineffective when he last played in 2014...

Just don't see it happening for him

He's pitched decently in the minors. 3.86 ERA over 9.1 innings 8.7 k/9 4.8 bb/9 though a lot of those 3 of his 5 walks came in his last outing which wasn't great.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Zob is turning into Montero..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Damn Zobrist went from the guy you wanted up there with guys on base to not caring if he plays or not