Bears Defense: Choose one player from Bears history to add....

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
In terms of fit and need, Wilson and Marshall make sense. As would Hampton or Dent.

But I'll take the best defensive player in team history and that's Butkus. Singletary and Urlacher would get consideration too.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
We are talking about an in his prime Butkus, correct? He could run. He certainly could cover RBs and TEs. I know. I watched Butkus ever since he was at CVS where he also played fullback in the T-formation. He is the best football player that I have ever seen.

All that being said, it is always a silly question about how a guy who played 50 years ago would fit into the present era. I say that if Butkus was born in 1985 he would be the best defensive player in the NFL. The guy was a big man from a big family who was gifted with great athleticism and football intelligence. He really dominated in the NFl like very few players have ever done and I believe that with the better fitness routines and surgical techniques around now, he would dominate in this era as well.

Hey it's all speculation so maybe your right. I would take BU over Butkus in today's NFL. And Butkus over BU in the old style NFL play. Were all speculating here.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
In todays game? His coverage skills would be a joke and he would be abused.

butkus-o.gif

You were saying...

Last edited:

Fencik45

Liked Posts:
Fencik. Great saftey and a leader. Plank and Butkus would not finish a game with todays rules. LOL.

AussieBear

If the question is to add a player such that his historic production and influence on the game would be equal in today's game and scheme, any answer other than Butkus is wrong. Hell, no qualifiers, any answer other than Butkus is wrong.

dick and his 7.2 40 wouldnt work in todays game

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW, for everyone arguing over a players size for these types of questions I always just figure you are dealing with the transporting in the players ability/talent and his body type would "scale up" to the current era so the discussion of Hampton and what position he would play because of his size is moot in my mind.

bearmick had the best answer in regards to why you wouldn't take Butkus and that was kind of my mindset.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
FWIW, for everyone arguing over a players size for these types of questions I always just figure you are dealing with the transporting in the players ability/talent and his body type would "scale up" to the current era so the discussion of Hampton and what position he would play because of his size is moot in my mind.

bearmick had the best answer in regards to why you wouldn't take Butkus and that was kind of my mindset.
I was too young to see Butkus play in person, but he is arguably the greatest defensive player of all time. Hampton was great, but you can't pass on adding the best defensive player ever.

Just let this sink in...In his rookie season, Butkus led the Bears in tackles, interceptions, forced fumbles, and fumble recoveries, and regularly led the team in these categories throughout his career.

For the Giants, would you pass on LT for Michael Strahan?

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was too young to see Butkus play in person, but he is arguably the greatest defensive player of all time. Hampton was great, but you can't pass on adding the best defensive player ever.

Just let this sink in...In his rookie season, Butkus led the Bears in tackles, interceptions, forced fumbles, and fumble recoveries, and regularly led the team in these categories throughout his career.
Bearmick:
I considered Butkus, but I chose Hampton over him because of impact based on the scenario - that they'd be joining this Bears team, in this scheme. Inside LB is a strength now, and although obviously neither Trevathan or Freeman are Dick Butkus, I didn't think upgrading an ILB spot would have as much of an impact as putting an elite lineman up front to replace Bullard/Unrein.

In other words, I feel Trevathan behind Hampton is better than Butkus behind Bullard.

I didn't take Hampton anyways.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yeah, I get that the current Bears are stronger at ILB than DL, but I still take the biggest difference maker as a player. Butkus completely changed game plans and mentally defeated a large portion of the opposing offensive skill position players before the game started.

As for Marshall, he was a sledgehammer. The hit on Fergeson at 1:22 of this video is chilling.
[video=youtube_share;Vuj_NF7gteQ]https://youtu.be/Vuj_NF7gteQ[/video]

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I get that the current Bears are stronger at ILB than DL, but I still take the biggest difference maker as a player. .

I think for this team though you could argue the play making gap from Bullard/Unrein to Hampton is larger than the gap from Trevathan to Butkus. Ditto for Marshall.

Last edited:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
butkus-o.gif

You were saying...

That was a great clip of Butkus. I especially liked his destroying that Packer who tried to tackle him after his interception:)

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Give me Urlacher in any scheme. In the Fangio 34 Urlacher would wreak havoc. Remember in Jaurons scheme Urlacher had 14 sacks in his first two seasons and if he was in a more aggressive scheme throughout his career he probably would have had a lot more than the 41.5 sacks he recorded. Add in the fact Fangio requires his ILBs to cover and it's a no-brainer as Lach was one of the best ever in coverage.

46dogs

Liked Posts:
who do you add and why?

Do you add a guy like dan hampton, richard dent, or doug atkins to the dl?

One of mike brown/tony parrish/gray fencik/mark carrier as a starting safety?

Do you add one of the great bears lb's to the lb corps?

26 yera old urlacher