Bears Defense: Choose one player from Bears history to add....

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who do you add and why?

Do you add a guy like Dan Hampton, Richard Dent, or Doug Atkins to the DL?

One of Mike Brown/Tony Parrish/Gray Fencik/Mark Carrier as a starting safety?

Do you add one of the great Bears LB's to the LB corps?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Assuming Fangio's scheme I might choose to add a guy like Otis Wilson or Wilber Marshall to the Bears LB corp. You add an elite edge rusher/blitzer/athlete to the outside of the defense and I think it makes everything easier on the rest of the team. Dent or Hampton was the other consideration.

Of the two I'd likely take Marshall who I think could do a bit more of everything as a player.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If the question is to add a player such that his historic production and influence on the game would be equal in today's game and scheme, any answer other than Butkus is wrong. Hell, no qualifiers, any answer other than Butkus is wrong.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would add Walter Payton and call him a DB but play him at RB...does that qualify?

Seriously I would add Butkus without thinking about it.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
If the question is to add a player such that his historic production and influence on the game would be equal in today's game and scheme, any answer other than Butkus is wrong. Hell, no qualifiers, any answer other than Butkus is wrong.

I have to agree with you here, but the temptation to take Gayle Sayers certainly crossed my mind on this one. Especially considering the unknown we currently have in our backfield.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have to agree with you here, but the temptation to take Gayle Sayers certainly crossed my mind on this one. Especially considering the unknown we currently have in our backfield.

*defense

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:

Butkus lol. He could not play in todays game. Great player in his time.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Not my pick, but how would prime Tommie Harris do as an end in this scheme?

Washington

Liked Posts:
Gary Fencik would be the ball hawking, hard hitting, smart safety we've lacked for a long time now.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Danimal at DE, Brown or Fenick at SS, Peanut at CB, etc... It's a really fun thing to think about.

But for me it's 54. Lach in his prime in this scheme would be a ton of fun to watch. Goldman and Hicks could keep him clean so he could do what he did best. Plus the D would have its undisputed leader in the huddle and the team would have a face.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Dick Butkus had instincts that no other linebacker ever had. He didn't fear contact. Actually loved it. He was the punching the ball out of people's hands before Tillman. I would take him all day long.