Bears Defense: Choose one player from Bears history to add....

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dick Butkus had instincts that no other linebacker ever had. He didn't fear contact. Actually loved it. He was the punching the ball out of people's hands before Tillman. I would take him all day long.

I agree with everything you said except in this NFL Butkus would constantly be fined and suspended. That's why I'd go with 54. He had the athleticism to cover in a pass happy league and was constantly around the ball. Plus he wouldn't have to take on many blocks (which IMO was his only real weakness) with the beef block we have now.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

mecha

Liked Posts:
have to agree with most, after the Shea bullshit, having a legitimate LB like Urlacher would be a refreshing change. Fencik was awesome, as was Mike Brown.

I've only heard legends of Doug Plank and how he was a mean hard-hitting bastard, would he be a bad choice like Butkus?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with everything you said except in this NFL Butkus would constantly be fined and suspended. That's why I'd go with 54. He had the athleticism to cover in a pass happy league and was constantly around the ball. Plus he wouldn't have to take on many blocks (which IMO was his only real weakness) with the beef block we have now.

As much as I love Butkus, 54 was so mobile and covered so much ground in the run game and his drop into pass coverage... it's close, edge #54.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who do you add and why?

Do you add a guy like Dan Hampton, Richard Dent, or Doug Atkins to the DL?

One of Mike Brown/Tony Parrish/Gray Fencik/Mark Carrier as a starting safety?

Do you add one of the great Bears LB's to the LB corps?

Richard Dent. No question for me would have the most impact in this modern game. Brown is tempting but would get injured.

Dent is the Aldon Smith they want Floyd to be but will be sadly dissappointed.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Dan Hampton would be a pretty good fit at 3-4 DE. But if you have the best off-ball LB in history in your organization's past, you have to go with him. I like Freeman, but he can go for Butkis, though there's some pretty big upgrades that can be made at DE (Hampton), S (Brown), CB (Tillman, Woolford).

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dan Hampton for me. It all starts up front and he was as dominant and disruptive as you could want, wherever you line him up. Always thought he was the best player on the 85 D. Freeman and Trevathan could be tackling machines and Floyd a rushing machine with the chaos he'd cause.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who do you add and why?

Do you add a guy like Dan Hampton, Richard Dent, or Doug Atkins to the DL?

One of Mike Brown/Tony Parrish/Gray Fencik/Mark Carrier as a starting safety?

Do you add one of the great Bears LB's to the LB corps?

That is an easy one for me. You add Dick Butkus, the best defensive player to ever play the game of football according from no less than Deacon Jones. Yeah, I know, scheme right? Well, Butkus could play in a 3-4 scheme as an inside LB and still dominate.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I disagree with the fines and suspensions. Butkus wasn't really a cheap shot guy. His tackling techniques were perfect. When anyone talks about wrapping up a player, that is what Butkus did. He reminded me of a big bird using his wing spread to take something down. HE was also an excellent athlete in his prime who had good speed for the position and could cover TEs well as well as backs coming out in pass patterns.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I considered Butkus, but I chose Hampton over him because of impact based on the scenario - that they'd be joining this Bears team, in this scheme. Inside LB is a strength now, and although obviously neither Trevathan or Freeman are Dick Butkus, I didn't think upgrading an ILB spot would have as much of an impact as putting an elite lineman up front to replace Bullard/Unrein.

In other words, I feel Trevathan behind Hampton is better than Butkus behind Bullard.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Butkus lol. He could not play in todays game. Great player in his time.

He was 6'3" 245. Why wouldn't he be able to play LB today?

He'd just have not hit players in the head. Every NFL player has adjusted. Saying he has the inability to follow the rules of football is ridiculous.

Bort

Liked Posts:
I would add Walter Payton and call him a DB but play him at RB...does that qualify?

Seriously I would add Butkus without thinking about it.

If you're going that route, it would be better to add Sid Luckman and call him a DB but play him at QB....

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
In todays game? His coverage skills would be a joke and he would be abused.

He had 5 interceptions his rookie yr! Haven't you ever seen highlights? He was very quick and athletic. You have a false impression.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Plus if Butkus was playing for millions of dollars instead if chump change back in 1960s, he would play less angry. TBH if I was playing for a cheap ass like George Halas, I would play with a chip on my shoulder all the time. Plus there was no FA at the time? Butkus had to relieve his stress.