Cubs send Torres to Yankees for Chapman

Washington

Liked Posts:
Getting a top end closer, a lefty nonetheless, a hard thing to get in baseball (Rondon in not a top end closer), for a Class A prospect playing a position loaded on the big league team, even on a rental, is a no-brainer to me.

I could care less what other players think. Players should not be consulted in regard to personnel decisions. That is flat out stupid. You don't let the inmates run the asylum. The players are highly compensated to play a game and should want the best team possible. After all, the #1 goal for each player each year is to earn a World Series ring. Not every player has to be friends with every other player. No verses of Kumbaya are needed in the clubhouse. Just play the damn game to the best of your ability, respecting each other, and win the World Series. Anything short of a World Series win makes the team a loser.

Once again, think anyone in KC is upset with them renting Cueto last year? Rings matter.

Get 'er done Theo and don't stop there.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I really don't get the whole "hard to root for" thing with Chapman.

Is Chapman a tool? Probably. And anyone who harms their wife/significant other is a scumbag, for the record.

But I'm not going sit here and play the compass of baseball morality with a guy who was never charged, has multiple varying accounts of what actually happened in that garage with the ex-gf & her brother, and served his time despite never being charged.

But all accounts of this altercation show that this looks like one of those times that you really had a crazy belligerent ex-gf (and most likely, belligerent Chapman) who stole Aroldis' phone...saw texts to another woman...and decided to get in his face about it. He shoves her high around the neck/shoulders (the "choking" aspect that most people are up in arms about) and she falls over chair. Her brother tackles him. He rings off 8 shots in the air/to the wall in the garage, and the situation resolves itself.

But all the varying accounts of this story point to something very close to the described above with the only real question being "did he shove her vs. did he choke her"...not that either was right.

But the 100%, indisputable, fact of the matter is that we Cub fans chose to have dance parties every time a guy with a rumored involvement with a shooting and and alleged involvement in a sexual abuse altercation came to the plate. The only difference is that the specifics of his police report never surfaced and he was never charged; while Chapman also was never charged, but did have his report leak. So where's the disconnect?

And for those wondering who I referenced above -- that was Starlin Castro -- the heart and soul of the team that many a Cub fan could stand to watch leave Chicago despite his declining numbers.

Mattia

Liked Posts:
trade for Chapman and extend him...come on, he will be key in october... Go Cubs Go

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Rumor has it that it's

Torres/Candelario/Warren/one other player going to NYY.

2 thoughts:
1. That's too damn high, and I need to see a real effort to extend him out of the front office.
2. LULZ at the price for Miller if that's Chapman's cost.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The article you linked literally says if the cubs can't come to an agreement on the extension the trade very well could fall apart. That's not some trivial matter. And that's assuming that all the reports are right. I don't particularly have reason to doubt them but these same reporters said Fowler to the O's was a done deal. Stuff happens.

The Fowler case was an anomaly, 99% of the time when something like this is said to be based on last minute small details it is considered done. Something drastic would have to occur for it to fall apart.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Nationals, Cubs, Giants and Indians are now the 4 teams, so Texas out? Apparently the Yankees have agreed to deal him, internally, but I guess these 4 teams get to sweeten their deals or have time for extension talks.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
People are gonna look quite silly when this deal gets done. Most outlets are reporting its a done deal. Not sure why piling on the OP like this makes sense when this story seems to be the general media consensus.

CBS reporting it as done deal: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/c...-trade-in-place-that-could-be-completed-soon/

The OP (cubsmann) easily could've and should've worded the title in a different way. (Cubs close to dealing Torres for Chapman, for example)

More importantly, maybe if cubsmann would restrain himself a little instead of making monumental proclamations before things actually happen, everyone would cut him some slack for his thread title. His "Cubs are better than the '27 Yankees" and "anyone is blind who can't see that Albert Almora is a superstar" type of stuff makes him a big target for the more realistic posters here.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Latest rumor is its Torres, return Warren to NY, and Billy McKinney. This needs to be in the form on PTBNL if there is an extension.

Apparently the Yankees wanted Soler instead of McKinney, yeah, sky is the limit.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getting a top end closer, a lefty nonetheless, a hard thing to get in baseball (Rondon in not a top end closer), for a Class A prospect playing a position loaded on the big league team, even on a rental, is a no-brainer to me.

I could care less what other players think. Players should not be consulted in regard to personnel decisions. That is flat out stupid. You don't let the inmates run the asylum. The players are highly compensated to play a game and should want the best team possible. After all, the #1 goal for each player each year is to earn a World Series ring. Not every player has to be friends with every other player. No verses of Kumbaya are needed in the clubhouse. Just play the damn game to the best of your ability, respecting each other, and win the World Series. Anything short of a World Series win makes the team a loser.

Once again, think anyone in KC is upset with them renting Cueto last year? Rings matter.

Get 'er done Theo and don't stop there.

1.77 ERA in the past two season with over 107 IP. Thats good for 6th best reliever ERA in the league and 4th best as a closer. Chapman has been 1.75 during that span.

Rondon is one of the best closers in the league. Dont be a meatball.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The deal is done per Ken Rosenthal. Cubs send Torres, McKinney, Warren, and one more player to the Yankees for Chapman.

Mitchapalooza

The deal is done per Ken Rosenthal. Cubs send Torres, McKinney, Warren, and one more player to the Yankees for Chapman.
I barely keep up with baseball. Is this good? Keep seeing people saying Cubs gave up too much.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
1.77 ERA in the past two season with over 107 IP. Thats good for 6th best reliever ERA in the league and 4th best as a closer. Chapman has been 1.75 during that span.

Rondon is one of the best closers in the league. Dont be a meatball.
I'm continually dumbfounded at how many Cubs fans cannot grasp how good Rondon has been as the Closer.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Done as in CCS "we think it's done" or this shit is really done?