The Crappy Bears QB you hyped up the most discussion

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
As for the topic at hand my 3 were McNown, Krenzel, and Hanie

McNown was when I was a sophomore in college and just started playing FF and I thought a first round QB would be great. So I was on that hype train which crashed to reality.

Krenzel I thought him winning a national championship counted for something and he had that underdog feel to him.

Hanie, during the NFCCG I told my brother in law after Cutler went down that the Bears were better off with Hanie instead of Collins...Hanie came in and kept the Bears in the game. So the following year when Cutler went down, I thought maybe Hanie could make the most of the opportunity.

Krenzel and Hanie weren't full on hype train status but more crossing the fingers hoping for some magic to happen.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Hanie was horrific his season starting, looking back at NFCG he was pretty bad then too.

Burris takes the cake tho of worst tho

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Oh man, yeah Mirer I guess belong in here too. Long career but always pretty damn awful aside from a decent first season and a half.

I remember that trade and the only memory I have of Mirer on the Bears is using him in Madden as the starting QB. I seriously have zero recollection of any game he ever played for the team.

I thought maybe he could be a Poor-Man's Montana. He wasn't even a poorer mans PT Willis. He was so bad...that he never threw a TD pass for the Bears. And it's not like the offense was void of any talent.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I thought maybe he could be a Poor-Man's Montana. He wasn't even a poorer mans PT Willis. He was so bad...that he never threw a TD pass for the Bears. And it's not like the offense was void of any talent.

Didn't the Bears give up a 1st for him too?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Yep, the pick they gave up for him ended up being #11 overall. The two guys taken at #12 and #13 in that draft....Warrick Dunn and Tony Gonzalez. The Bears used their first pick in that draft(2nd Round) on John Allred, TE, USC.....:obama:

lol I remember Allred

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kordell Stewart. Couple of decent seasons with Pittsburgh, then he joined the Bears and died, stat wise.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you guys remember Shane Matthews? Man I liked him alot, but so much lolz when Marty Booker had to come in at the end of the game to heave the Hail Mary cause Matthews was lucky if he could throw it 30 yards.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The guy with 3 first names. I thought he was the answer.

Though he was second team All Arena league in 1998, so I wasn't totally wrong.:facepalm:

MEGATRON

Liked Posts:
Jim Miller. Once he got the starting gig in 01 and went 11-2 I thought we had finally found a guy to pilot our mess. He wasn't spectacular but he looked competent at least, especially considering who came before him. He got hurt the first quarter of the Philly playoff game so I didn't hold that against him. The following year he went 2-6 and was gone.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jim Miller. Once he got the starting gig in 01 and went 11-2 I thought we had finally found a guy to pilot our mess. He wasn't spectacular but he looked competent at least, especially considering who came before him. He got hurt the first quarter of the Philly playoff game so I didn't hold that against him. The following year he went 2-6 and was gone.

FWIW, Miller was better in 2002 than he was in 2001. (Rate+ of 98 vs 94) and I wouldn't consider Miller "crappy" in context of this discussion.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

My Dad and all his friends loved screaming "IT'S MILLER TIME BABAY!" and then cracking open a fresh Miller Lite.

They were like the definition of meatball Baersz fansz

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW, Miller was better in 2002 than he was in 2001. (Rate+ of 98 vs 94) and I wouldn't consider Miller "crappy" in context of this discussion.

And then he was busted for roids, right?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Cade McNown.

I remember my dad telling me he was going to be awful and I called him a Chicago hater. He is from Cleveland and hates Jordan and basically all Chicago sports because of that. I thought McNown was going to be good and thought he was a beast at UCLA. I think I gave up after that 17-0 shutout in San Francisco (the 20 reception Owens game).

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm sure this thread will get plenty of Grossman vs Orton mentions but I'm looking for stuff deeper than that. Those two players went on to have productive NFL careers.

I'm looking for answers in the vein of Tomczak, PT Willis, Moses Moreno, Steve Stenstrom, Henry Burris, etc

What one of THOSE level of awful QB's did you hitch your wagon to only to see it explode in your face?

Mine was Moses Moreno. I remember his first start and on the first or second play from scrimmage the Bears threw the ball deep to Conway down the far sideline. On his third play he fumble. He later threw TD pass to put the Bears ahead 14-7 and the Bears eventually lost something like 31-17. Just awful. I was all aboard the hype train after that and was pissed the Bears let him go to San Diego in the offseason. He was out of football by 2001 I think.

Just a shitty QB that I got my hopes up for.

Eric Kramer.
He had one outstanding year where everything came together for him.
Watching him in 95, I was all about Kramer- then he shat all over the field in 96. same in 97. same in 98.

He was the guy that really caused me to take career seasons with a grain of salt and wait for a repeat... Cassel, Freeman, Grossman, Never jumped on board with them because aI was always waiting for the other shoe to drop.