The Crappy Bears QB you hyped up the most discussion

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sure this thread will get plenty of Grossman vs Orton mentions but I'm looking for stuff deeper than that. Those two players went on to have productive NFL careers.

I'm looking for answers in the vein of Tomczak, PT Willis, Moses Moreno, Steve Stenstrom, Henry Burris, etc

What one of THOSE level of awful QB's did you hitch your wagon to only to see it explode in your face?

Mine was Moses Moreno. I remember his first start and on the first or second play from scrimmage the Bears threw the ball deep to Conway down the far sideline. On his third play he fumble. He later threw TD pass to put the Bears ahead 14-7 and the Bears eventually lost something like 31-17. Just awful. I was all aboard the hype train after that and was pissed the Bears let him go to San Diego in the offseason. He was out of football by 2001 I think.

Just a shitty QB that I got my hopes up for.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Maybe because he is more recent in the series of crappy Bears QBs, but remember Craig Krenzel starting out 3-0 in his rookie year? Compared to Jonathan Quinn (whose most successful throw was straight into the dirt), it felt like we actually had a decent QB when in reality he just wasn't trying his best to lose.

Yeah I was on that hype train

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe because he is more recent in the series of crappy Bears QBs, but remember Craig Krenzel starting out 3-0 in his rookie year? Compared to Jonathan Quinn (whose most successful throw was straight into the dirt), it felt like we actually had a decent QB when in reality he just wasn't trying his best to lose.

Yeah I was on that hype train

Krenzel hype train all the way. I have a football signed by Johnathan Quinn, it was a gift. Looking back on it, it wasn't much of a gift.

As rough as it was as a Bears fan in the early 2000s it was extremely interesting to watch all of their games simply because of the QB position. Jim Miller anybody? Seriously, though this thread his making me hit a certain level of nostalgia.

Last edited:

Washington

Liked Posts:
I bought the hype on McNown too due to all the talk of him being "NFL ready." Damn was I gullible. I now live my life being totally pessimistic in regard to every QB in the organization because, at age 55, I am 100% convinced I'll never see a Very Good NFL QB in a Bears uniform. My 2nd never-see on my list is a Cubs World Series but that one might actually happen in my life but that one is still questionable too because they are after all, the Cubs.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
FirstTimer, what happened to Rory?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I bought the hype on McNown too due to all the talk of him being "NFL ready." Damn was I gullible. I now live my life being totally pessimistic in regard to every QB in the organization because, at age 55, I am 100% convinced I'll never see a Very Good NFL QB in a Bears uniform. My 2nd never-see on my list is a Cubs World Series but that one might actually happen in my life but that one is still questionable too because they are after all, the Cubs.

Scary thing about McNown is even with him putting like zero effort into being an NFL QB he was tolerable from a performance standpoint. If the kid ever got his head screwed on straight he could have been great.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chad Hutchinson. It was a night game and I was laying floor tile while watching it but if remember it right he looked good that game. I think that was the only one.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Henry Burress was the next Bears GOAT to me. I was very young at the time (maybe 13?) and I just saw how far he could toss the ball downfield and that's all it took to get me pissed when we benched him after a couple of quarters

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Actually know Tomczaks family pretty well, got some of his bears stuff from da 80s. N one of my bro's has tom thayers skooter from da 80s!!!

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Back on subject,

Smilin Hank was god awful in that game against Green Bay.

Best part bout him though, he still friggin plays in the CFL!

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
EDIT: Thanks Scoot/Urblock.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mine was the damn trade for Mirer, shit that sucked, I thought he might have been serviceable.

Oh man, yeah Mirer I guess belong in here too. Long career but always pretty damn awful aside from a decent first season and a half.

I remember that trade and the only memory I have of Mirer on the Bears is using him in Madden as the starting QB. I seriously have zero recollection of any game he ever played for the team.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I was burned by Jonathan Quinn. I'll never trust anything the Bears do at the position again.