The Crappy Bears QB you hyped up the most discussion

Washington

Liked Posts:
Unless you're big on the single wing....I gotta say Bobby Douglas. I don't believe anyone in league history threw an uglier pass which was almost never on target.

True dat but man could that dude run.

I may have missed it but no Doug Flutie call outs here? Fucking Ditka screwed the pooch with that one.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I was burned by Jonathan Quinn. I'll never trust anything the Bears do at the position again.

To add more to this, I was very excited that Terry Shea came with the promise of an actual NFL offense. Add in what should have been an improved defense with Lovie, Thomas Jones, and a healthy Grossman and I thought the Bears really had something. Then Grossman got injured, and I was thinking, 'no problem, Shea worked with Quinn - that MUST be the reason he brought him with.'

I feel like it was a Redskins game that Quinn made his first start, and I don't think I've ever been more upset than I was watching that game.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I'm sure this thread will get plenty of Grossman vs Orton mentions but I'm looking for stuff deeper than that. Those two players went on to have productive NFL careers.

I'm looking for answers in the vein of Tomczak, PT Willis, Moses Moreno, Steve Stenstrom, Henry Burris, etc

What one of THOSE level of awful QB's did you hitch your wagon to only to see it explode in your face?

Mine was Moses Moreno. I remember his first start and on the first or second play from scrimmage the Bears threw the ball deep to Conway down the far sideline. On his third play he fumble. He later threw TD pass to put the Bears ahead 14-7 and the Bears eventually lost something like 31-17. Just awful. I was all aboard the hype train after that and was pissed the Bears let him go to San Diego in the offseason. He was out of football by 2001 I think.

Just a shitty QB that I got my hopes up for.

This is such a layup.... Almost too easy. Thanks FT

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
From the OP:

And you mention Brian Griese, a guy who at one point lead the NFL in passer rating and then in another season lead the NFL in Compl%.

Great. Thanks.

Lol don't be a dick. Griese sucked here and it wasn't that difficult to see. There's a reason he had trouble passing up Grossman/Orton on the depth chart.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
orton and krenzel

i remember krenzels first start was a halloween game vs the 49ers and he dropped a bomb to berrian

i thought he was our one

200_s.gif

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So I was definitely duped by Hanie. Thought, I never really saw him as a starter, but definitely as a solid backup. Preseason I always thought he put on a good show... And when he came in for 3 minutes or whatever in that terrible Giants game in 2010 when Cutler got sacked 12,000 times before being concussed I thought he showed a lot of promise.

For the life of me I couldn't understand why he kept falling behind Todd Collins, who couldn't even throw a football. Perhaps Martz knew something we all didn't and that Hanie was simply not a good quarterback. When he relived Collins in the NFC Championship we got even more a teaser. Yeah, the Packers were in prevent D the entire time, but just something about it showed Hanie had it. Then in 2011 when Cutler died... Hanie came in and just looked lackluster in that first game vs Oakland.. until the game was out of hand and they went prevent D, and then he came alive and brought the Bears to within 5 points. It was kinda like a very very poor man's Tebow. Suck the entire game until the prevent D comes in then make all these throws and win the game (or well.. in Hanie's case... come close). After that Oakland game, there was nothing to like about Hanie though. He just plain out sucked.. Martz ended up right (and fired) about Hanie.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
McNown. I was young and dumb and assumed College Record Setter + Drafted High = Guaranteed Quality.

Whew, was I wrong.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jay Cutler. All of the other bums we've had because you knew they were going to suck so there was never a point to hype them. Cutler came to the Bears hyped full of promise and suckered 4 coaching staffs hook, line, and sinker to the tune of $100+ Million and counting. I regret ever buying into this bum and wasting 5 years making excuses for him.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Jay Cutler. All of the other bums we've had because you knew they were going to suck so there was never a point to hype them. Cutler came to the Bears hyped full of promise and suckered 4 coaching staffs hook, line, and sinker to the tune of $100+ Million and counting. I regret ever buying into this bum and wasting 5 years making excuses for him.

Hater.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I hyped up Grossman, hyped up Kramer, and hyped up Miller, though I wouldn't say either of those were terrible. I have to go with Hanie. I actually bought into that hype after the NFCCG, then 2011 happened.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I have to go with Hanie. I actually bought into that hype after the NFCCG

You mean after he threw a pick six to a nose tackle and then moments later the game clinching interception when he had room to run?

Yeah, he seemed like he was going to be a stud after that game...

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
From the OP:

And you mention Brian Griese, a guy who at one point lead the NFL in passer rating and then in another season lead the NFL in Compl%.

Great. Thanks.

And you would think him doing those things would be a reason to hype him up? He end up being shit here. Put some ice on that bruised vagina

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rex is the only one in what seems like forever that I was full on balls deep for sure was gon be a fucking stud.

Over time I got more disappointed and skeptical, but I stayed on that bandwagon until the latter half of his last year... well beyond any rational sense.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a reason he had trouble passing up Grossman/Orton on the depth chart.

The only reason he didn't is because the Bears were trying to see what they had in younger QB's. No idea who was "hyping" Griese as a 35 year old backup at the end of his career and I again repeat:
I'm looking for answers in the vein of Tomczak, PT Willis, Moses Moreno, Steve Stenstrom, Henry Burris, etc

What one of THOSE level of awful QB's did you hitch your wagon to only to see it explode in your face

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And you would think him doing those things would be a reason to hype him up? He end up being shit here. Put some ice on that bruised vagina

Again:

Griese at one point lead the NFL in passer rating and Compl %. From the OP:

What one of THOSE level of awful QB's did you hitch your wagon to only to see it explode in your face?

You are seriously putting Griese in the Hanie, PT Willis, Moses Moreno, etc category?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I was definitely duped by Hanie. Thought, I never really saw him as a starter, but definitely as a solid backup. Preseason I always thought he put on a good show... And when he came in for 3 minutes or whatever in that terrible Giants game in 2010 when Cutler got sacked 12,000 times before being concussed I thought he showed a lot of promise.

For the life of me I couldn't understand why he kept falling behind Todd Collins, who couldn't even throw a football. Perhaps Martz knew something we all didn't and that Hanie was simply not a good quarterback. When he relived Collins in the NFC Championship we got even more a teaser. Yeah, the Packers were in prevent D the entire time, but just something about it showed Hanie had it. Then in 2011 when Cutler died... Hanie came in and just looked lackluster in that first game vs Oakland.. until the game was out of hand and they went prevent D, and then he came alive and brought the Bears to within 5 points. It was kinda like a very very poor man's Tebow. Suck the entire game until the prevent D comes in then make all these throws and win the game (or well.. in Hanie's case... come close). After that Oakland game, there was nothing to like about Hanie though. He just plain out sucked.. Martz ended up right (and fired) about Hanie.
Martz HATED Hanie.

HATED him.

I remember the cluster fuck at the end of 2011 when Martz wanted Enderle to start but he couldn't even get him activated for game day. Hanie couldn't understand the Martz offense, was terrible with accuracy, and was mental wreck.

Chinese

Liked Posts:
I had hope Rick Mirer would have panned out. That was a horrible trade. He lasted a year i think only with us

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Again:

Griese at one point lead the NFL in passer rating and Compl %. From the OP:

You are seriously putting Griese in the Hanie, PT Willis, Moses Moreno, etc category?

As a Bear, yes.