IST: Cubs vs. Marlins

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Great job by Hendricks..

OH and are we done with Contreras being a horrible catcher
He just caught a complete game shutout by a guy who uses every inch of plate with fastballs and change-ups
Amongst other solid games caught since break

Not saying he doesn't have more to learn but he far from being horrible

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm....when the pitchers all stunk he wasn't to blame. But he now gets the credit? ?

By the way, I am high on Contreras. I just see the effect it seems yo have when he catches. But at least it's not Schwarberesque. And he throw runners out.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hmmmm....when the pitchers all stunk he wasn't to blame. But he now gets the credit? ?

By the way, I am high on Contreras. I just see the effect it seems yo have when he catches. But at least it's not Schwarberesque. And he throw runners out.
No..
I'm not giving him full credit, nor do I think he deserves blame for when they went South..
One.. He never caught Arrieta or Lester, who went really bad
Two.. In games he did start they were something like 5-7

I put most of the blame on the pitchers themselves going through a rough patch..
Just as they get credit for when their good

Yes Contreras needs some work, but he far from being terrible as some think on here.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It's fairly nuts that there are people who in the media who are starting to whisper about Hendricks in Cy Young consideration. Don't get me wrong I love Hendricks but.... DAMN. The thought process is apparently that there's a chance Hendricks passes Bumgarner for the ERA crown and Kershaw being injured might not make enough starts to qualify. And if you can win the NL ERA crown then you're in the conversation. Needless to say, most seemed to think I was terribly optimistic about him being a potential #3 starter. The way he's played this year is striking even in comparison to that.

As an aside, it's hard to tell because a lot of stuff is connected but soft contact rate seems to be something this front office really likes out of their pitchers or at the very least it's the outcome of what they are looking for. If i were to describe what a typical "cubs" pitcher looks like it's above average k/9(7-9) but not "elite," fairly elite bb/9(anything sub 2.5 really but closer to 2), above average ground ball rate(45%+ preferably) and high soft contact. It's kind of an unusual profile for what people typically think of as "top pitchers." Then again, that's probably what makes said pitchers cheaper and hence why they are attractive. That basically describes their top 3 starters this year in Lester/Arrieta/Hendricks and while I don't have the same access to minor league batted ball data, it seems to describe similar players like Preston Morrison, Jeremy Null, Ryan Williams, Jen-ho Tseng....etc.

Just something to keep in mind when the talks of who the cubs want for a new young starter come up.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers @ESPNChiCubs
Maddon mentioned Hendricks the rare pitcher who has no issue getting down in the count. After 2-1 counts this year opponents hitting .141.

Jesse Rogers @ESPNChiCubs
That .141 avg after 2-1 counts is better than Clayton Kershaw, (@ESPNStatsInfo)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka 11h11 hours ago
Kyle Hendricks: 0.79 ERA in July-August (6 games, 5 starts, 34.1 IP)
#Cubs

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka 11h11 hours ago
Kyle Hendricks: 0.79 ERA in July-August (6 games, 5 starts, 34.1 IP)
#Cubs
Plus something like the last 26 ip at home 1 run 0 ER

He in 2015 Jake Arrieta territory ☺️

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It's fairly nuts that there are people who in the media who are starting to whisper about Hendricks in Cy Young consideration. Don't get me wrong I love Hendricks but.... DAMN. The thought process is apparently that there's a chance Hendricks passes Bumgarner for the ERA crown and Kershaw being injured might not make enough starts to qualify. And if you can win the NL ERA crown then you're in the conversation. Needless to say, most seemed to think I was terribly optimistic about him being a potential #3 starter. The way he's played this year is striking even in comparison to that.

As an aside, it's hard to tell because a lot of stuff is connected but soft contact rate seems to be something this front office really likes out of their pitchers or at the very least it's the outcome of what they are looking for. If i were to describe what a typical "cubs" pitcher looks like it's above average k/9(7-9) but not "elite," fairly elite bb/9(anything sub 2.5 really but closer to 2), above average ground ball rate(45%+ preferably) and high soft contact. It's kind of an unusual profile for what people typically think of as "top pitchers." Then again, that's probably what makes said pitchers cheaper and hence why they are attractive. That basically describes their top 3 starters this year in Lester/Arrieta/Hendricks and while I don't have the same access to minor league batted ball data, it seems to describe similar players like Preston Morrison, Jeremy Null, Ryan Williams, Jen-ho Tseng....etc.

Just something to keep in mind when the talks of who the cubs want for a new young starter come up.
They showed something last night that showed Hendricks Arrieta and Lester amongst the top Era at home, all under 2

WF with the wind and basket, etc is usually a hitter Park especially when it warms up..

So, the soft contact thing may be something they looked for with WF in mind...

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Great job by Hendricks..

OH and are we done with Contreras being a horrible catcher
He just caught a complete game shutout by a guy who uses every inch of plate with fastballs and change-ups
Amongst other solid games caught since break

Not saying he doesn't have more to learn but he far from being horrible

He also threw out Dee Gordon by a good 2 feet. Pop time is ridiculous. Also helps to have Javy with his lightning swipe tags.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He only 3 behind Bryant
68 - 65. now

Bryant betting 2nd don't have many chances with guys on to drive anyone in anymore...

Exactly. If you look at RBI opportunities I am guessing Addison is ahead by quite a bit.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Co4NWFqUIAAM2D7.jpg

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Contreras is perfect for the 2 hole

Move Bryant down to 5, give him more RBI chances

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, this is not a sac fly but i take it

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont know what just happened, but we scored a run. A bad baserunning play turned into a good baserunning play back to a bad running play with a run squeezed in between.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They scored the RBI to Rizzo, ok now changed to fielder choice

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Zorbist needs to take his head out off his ass.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
When Baez quits swinging for the fenches every pitch
He will then be a very good everyday player