Can Cutler be Elway?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
What's sad is Connor Shaw is a better leader than Cutler. And he also has better pocket awareness. The tide turned against Jay for good when McCown came in and tore the league a new one under Trestman. That was the perfect time to ditch Cutler.

Bahahhaha my god, this isn't real is it?

Thanks for letting us know you're in the locker room when ya say Jay's not a good leader.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Only game I have ever seen where the Bears never punted. Just pure offensive perfection. So what does this franchise do after that perfect game? Bench the QB and release him in the offseason. Blows my mind till this day.

and the league was so convinced that McCown was the real deal that he has been on 2 teams since and benched several times....mind blowing indeed.

Liked Posts:
On this topic, if the tenure around CCS is what NFL fans is moving to in years then I fear that Elway will turn into the Joe Namath of our generation in terms of people simply just looking at his numbers and labeling him overrated or "How the fuck did people think this guy was good?"

I hope not, Elway was a physical freak. Back in the 1980's Elway was the only active QB during that time who I believe had a stronger arm than Marino. I always thought Marino had the quicker release to avoid being sacked where Elway used his feet to buy time to fire the ball down the field with velocity that showed why the Yankees wanted him to pitch for them. Not only could Elway carry a team but damn that guy could throw a bullet father than most QBs could throw a deep ball. Elway not only has the intangibles Cutler lacks but also had a stronger arm & was more accurate too.

It's funny that posters are still bringing up Cutler in these hose brain comparisons & scenarios that are in left field. How can anyone not see that this franchise never going anywhere with Cutler under center. I hope & pray that the Bears finally draft a QB this year like Kaya or Chad Kelly if he can keep improving his character, his, game & cut back on taking too many risks in the passing game.

Monster O

Liked Posts:
It's pure entertainment reading the same guys on Twitter defending cutler. It's always everyone else's fault but never cutler's.

mecha

Liked Posts:
It's pure entertainment reading the same guys on Twitter defending cutler. It's always everyone else's fault but never cutler's.

it's Cutler's fault when it's actually his fault. I don't know why this myth keeps getting perpetuated like he's permanently absolved of all blame in every single circumstance. here, here's a good example. you wanna know when it's Cutler's fault? when he has a 4 interception game. that's his fault. and the insistence that he was vastly outplayed by Josh McCown is also silly, Cutler probably played 2 more games (which was technically like 2 halves of games) and his stats minus interceptions were almost identical to McCown's. the fucking offensive system worked for that one little stitch in time known as the 2013 Bears.

to Rory's point, Cutler was benched for Clausen when the entire team collapsed and Aaron Kromer resorted to his cocksucker shit. Cutler wasn't benched because Clausen was a better option than him; Cutler was benched for little else than politics and people wanting to cover their own asses.

if you honestly believe the former then fuck it. I don't care anymore.

austtint

Liked Posts:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's Cutler's fault when it's actually his fault. I don't know why this myth keeps getting perpetuated like he's permanently absolved of all blame in every single circumstance. here, here's a good example. you wanna know when it's Cutler's fault? when he has a 4 interception game. that's his fault. and the insistence that he was vastly outplayed by Josh McCown is also silly, Cutler probably played 2 more games (which was technically like 2 halves of games) and his stats minus interceptions were almost identical to McCown's. the fucking offensive system worked for that one little stitch in time known as the 2013 Bears.

to Rory's point, Cutler was benched for Clausen when the entire team collapsed and Aaron Kromer resorted to his cocksucker shit. Cutler wasn't benched because Clausen was a better option than him; Cutler was benched for little else than politics and people wanting to cover their own asses.

if you honestly believe the former then fuck it. I don't care anymore.
LOL

If by "the same" you mean McCown lead in every single category...sure.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
An interesting thread got locked due to immaturity, and nobody got to discuss the main point... the Cutler can be Elway theory.

(mods, if you want to nuke this, nuke it- but immaturity aside, there was a degree of effort put in to the "another damn qb thread"- I thought it might make an interesting discussion among adults)

The topic has been brought up frequently around this time of year in the past, because Cutler and Elways numbers many times seem similar on the surface.
The people who bring it up pay lip service to the two guys playing in different eras, but I dont think they grasp how different the eras were.
Rating plus is a great way to look at it, but many people completely blow that off when talking about Jay. So lets talk turnover percentage as compared to their eras.

in 83, Elways first year, The average team threw 22.3 tds, 22.1 ints.
In Elways final year, the average team threw for 22 tds and 17 ints.

Last season, the average team threw for 26.3 tds and 13.6 ints.... almost 2-1.

At the end of the day, what we are talking about is turnovers. Elway is perceived to have a lot, just like jay.
However, interception percentage year by year changes the way things look.

Elways interception percentage vs. the average on each season-
83- 5.7- Average team- 4.4- 1.3% below average
84- 3.9- Average team- 4.1- 0.2% above average
85- 3.8- Average team- 4.2- 0.4% above average
86- 2.6- Average team- 4.0- 1.4% above average
87- 2.9- Average team- 4.0- 1.1% above average
88- 3.8- Average team- 3.9- 0.1% above average
89- 4.3- Average team- 3.9- 0.4% below average
90- 2.8- Average team- 3.6- 0.8 above average
91- 2.7- Average team- 3.5- 0.8 above average
92- 5.4- average team- 3.9- 1.5% below average
93- 1.8- Average team- 3.3- 1.5% above average
94- 2.0- Average team- 3.1- 1.1% above average
95- 2.6- Average team- 3.1- 0.5% above average
96- 3.0- Average team- 3.4- 0.4% above average
97- 2.2- Average team- 3.0- 0.8% above average
98- 2.8- Average team- 3.3- 0.5% above average

In 16 seasons, Elway was below the average interception percentage 3 times. 13 years above average.

Now Jay-
06- 3.6- Average team- 3.2- 0.4% below average
07- 3.0- Average team- 3.1- 0.1% above average
08- 2.9- Average team- 2.8- 0.1% below average
09- 4.7- Average team- 3.1- 1.6% below average
10- 3.7- Average team- 3.0- 0.7% below average
11- 2.2- Average team- 2.9- 0.9 above average
12- 3.2- Average team- 2.6- 0.1% below average
13- 3.4- Average team- 2.8- 0.6% below average
14- 3.2- Average team- 2.5- 0.7% below average
15- 2.3- average team- 2.4- 0.1% above average

That is 3 years above average, 7 below.

To put it simply- Elway had as many seasons better than average in interception percentage after year 4 than Jay has had in 10 years.
Elway never had Back to Back seasons where he was below average in interception percentage... Jay has never had Back to Back seasons where he is above average.

If Jay were to continue at this rate (and there is no reason to believe he will not) He would need a 41 year career to reach 13 seasons above average.

Elway, Farce may have similar characteristics, but they where able to hit top level highs....they could carry a team...Jay can't and simply makes no one better. Those guys made WRs better and playmaking their ability was ridiculous at times

Liked Posts:
and the league was so convinced that McCown was the real deal that he has been on 2 teams since and benched several times....mind blowing indeed.

You know whats funny about this is that everyone knows that McCown is subpar as a QB, but in Trestmans offense he proved to be consistently & highly productive as the second highest rated passer in the NFL over 5 starts & two separate halves. Everyone knew that Trestmans offense was & will be the only offense McCown can say he succeeded in, making him a system QB. System or no system with how McCown was flawlessly running Trestmans offense I don't care what kind of a QB he was with the results he was producing in circles around anything Cutler has ever done to date.

Then the Bears fuck up everything McCown & the offense were doing in spite of grabbing the division lead, only to favor Gods precious gift to the QB position(Again), just so the offense could immediately, even with the win in Cleveland, return to it's fragmented & inconsistent shortcomings due to Cutler. The rest of the season after slappy mcbluelips took the reins from McCown is there to add more evidence to the already heaping pile of examples that show, that while McCown may only have had success in 1 system, thats still 1 more system than Cutler has ever been & will never be better than average at best, or just plain horrible.

For the first time in basically ever in 2013 God gave the Bears a gift from out of nowhere with a Journeyman QB who happened to be perfect for the offense he played in, & the dumb fucks running this franchise were still too football stupid to tell that they had their fit with Trestmans offense for the remainder of the season with McCown. God the Bears front office is shit brain stupid.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was almost certain I posted this in the Cutler forum.... did it get moved out or am I mistaken?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler has no shame, because it evidently did not make him 'more dedicated' to football. He has the same lazy mechanics and slow reads that he's always had.

I agree with you but, come on, do you expect him to give the money back? Agreed, bad mechanics, slow read (lots of OC and revolving door at WR), I get a lot of the negativity.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was almost certain I posted this in the Cutler forum.... did it get moved out or am I mistaken?
I moved it because it's an A+++ quality thread.

I was gonna move it when you originally posted it but I got busy forgot. Then firsttimer bumped it and I moved it on over last night.

Monster

Liked Posts:
If Jay retires they will have that in common.
If Jay opens a dealership they will have two things in common.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I was gonna move it when you originally posted it but I got busy forgot. Then firsttimer bumped it and I moved it on over last night.

I what now?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

You rule!

Kinobi gets the credit for inspiring the thread.

However... I kind of disagreed with his premise that elway all of a sudden got awesome at the end. Elway was consistently above average in the turnover department- despite the totals, he was better than league average.

Nowadays, more than ever before, turnovers are absolute daggers. With Jay never having 2 seasons back to back even above league average in int percentage, It is doubtful he could have a career renaissance like elway... especially when you factor in his fumblitis.