Can Cutler be Elway?

OBearsWon Kinobi

Liked Posts:
It's not Cutlers fault that Matt forte could not score on first second or third down and goal 90% of the time or convert that third and short for first down. I loved Forte but his main weakness IMO is that he couldn't get 3 yards anytime we had to have 3 yards. I like our backs and think Howard can be what we hope Bush and that moron Barber were supposed to be.

It's not Cutlers fault that Robbie was suspect several games last year. Easily could have won 2-3 games. Hopefully just had a hitch in his giddy up and he's cool this year.

Not Cuttys fault that the defense HAS BEEN HORENDOUS SINCE TRESTMANS FIRST SEASON.......and gotten worse every year since except this season they should be better.

This myth that Cutler is awful comes from the 2010 NFC title game and everyone's dissappointment at the outcome and the medias and some fans ridiculous scrutiny over body language which is just subjective B.S. We could have and have had many worse and this idea were are just gonna draft his replacement and then the team will be able to compete for a Super Bowl is ludicrous. What in our teams recent past makes you believe we are capable of drafting a replacement quarterback that will lead the Bears to success? We might have a chance at wild card this year.

I think next year is when you draft a young guy and let him sit for 1 or 2 seasons and let them compete for the job year 3 hopefully. I,d be all about trading Cutler if an upgrade was a viable option but I don't see it and look at the K.C game last year. He can bring a team back so ef it I ride with Cutty. He's our quarterback and you should too.

OBearsWon Kinobi

Liked Posts:
You rule!

Kinobi gets the credit for inspiring the thread.

However... I kind of disagreed with his premise that elway all of a sudden got awesome at the end. Elway was consistently above average in the turnover department- despite the totals, he was better than league average.

Nowadays, more than ever before, turnovers are absolute daggers. With Jay never having 2 seasons back to back even above league average in int percentage, It is doubtful he could have a career renaissance like elway... especially when you factor in his fumblitis.

I see your point especially with the stats you put up in the beginning of the thread. Elway was solid his whole career but getting over the hump and winning the big one twice at the end put him in the all time great discussion. He played good but TD and company helped a lot. Give our defense another year and draft/sign some Olineman and I think that for the first time in a while we could have a well balanced playoff contending team and that Cutler is good enough to take us deep in playoffs. We might be a wild card team this year? Pre season don't mean nothing, I'm excited to get the season started and see what this team has when it counts.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I see your point especially with the stats you put up in the beginning of the thread. Elway was solid his whole career but getting over the hump and winning the big one twice at the end put him in the all time great discussion. He played good but TD and company helped a lot. Give our defense another year and draft/sign some Olineman and I think that for the first time in a while we could have a well balanced playoff contending team and that Cutler is good enough to take us deep in playoffs. We might be a wild card team this year? Pre season don't mean nothing, I'm excited to get the season started and see what this team has when it counts.

Davis was the key- 38 regular season tds in the superbowl years, over 3700 rushing yards with a 2000 yard season.
He also put up 11 post season touchdowns.... but the most important bit of all was the yards per game... in 97 he put up 145 yards per game in the playoffs- and 156 yards per game in 98.

To break it down, Davis put up 1100 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns in 7 post season games over those years. That is better than most running backs put up over 16 games against a mix of playoff and bottom feeder teams.

Elway was a superior player than jay, they had a great defense, and they also had one of the most spectacular post season RBs to ever play the game.
After looking at what Davis did, I am honestly curious if there has ever been a running back so absolutely dominant in the postseason.
Not even the great Jim Brown can match that output (maybe he could have had he had as many games).

For frame of reference, one of the most important and successful post season RBs I can remember is Smith... who had 1500+ yards in 17 post season games and 19 tds.

I may have just talked myself in to believing Davis is the best post season runner in history.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
If McCown had been given a Cliff Stein contract like Cuter, I doubt he would have been on 2 teams, even if he had been benched in favor of Jimmy Clausen like Cutler.

McCown had a higher QB rating than Cutler last year, despite Cutler's "career year". If you are going to criticize McCown because he was dumped by Tampa after a 1-year deal, then its just as easy to criticize Cutler for having no team in the NFL willing to trade for him, despite Pace trying to move him.

Cutler had the largest contract in the NFL, and was benched for Jimmy Clausen. That fact is still remarkable to me. Cutler has no shame, because it evidently did not make him 'more dedicated' to football. He has the same lazy mechanics and slow reads that he's always had.

His contract was a lot more friendly this year, why didn't they try moving him this off season?

Oh. Forgot.

Fox and pace both said 6 is the guy they are building around.

Best part is fox is a very good HC. Bout damn time. Cutty had to work with such highly respected coaches like lovie and trestman. Both really flourished when they left terrible cutler under center. Am I right or what

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
His contract was a lot more friendly this year, why didn't they try moving him this off season?

Oh. Forgot.

Fox and pace both said 6 is the guy they are building around.

Best part is fox is a very good HC. Bout damn time. Cutty had to work with such highly respected coaches like lovie and trestman. Both really flourished when they left terrible cutler under center. Am I right or what

Lovie made it to the SB with Rex grossman, yet could only manage 1 playoff win with Cutler. Food for thought.

Same tired mantra. You're boring.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Elway, Farce may have similar characteristics, but they where able to hit top level highs....they could carry a team...Jay can't and simply makes no one better. Those guys made WRs better and playmaking their ability was ridiculous at times

Yeah, you're right.

Fuck you cutler.

Fuck you for not making these highly respected and achieved players BETTER.

Devin Hester

Roy Williams

Rashied Davis

Devin Aromashadu

Kellen Davis

Johnny Knox

-- I mean according to you these guys should've had great careers after leaving Jay, ya know?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Lovie made it to the SB with Rex grossman, yet could only manage 1 playoff win with Cutler. Food for thought.

Same tired mantra. You're boring.

Your wife probably says that quite often to you, fatty

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
That aspect has nothing to do with the money. Usually if a coach benches a regular starter in hopes of having the starter play up to his own potential, then the benching serves as a wake-up call/motivating factor for the player to re-dedicate himself to improvement.

Cutler being benched for Clausen had no such effect...in fact, people like Mecha somehow portray Cutler as the VICTIM in the benching. Its incredible.

Well I mean.. How's trestman doing now? He really kicked ass after he left the Bears, right?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
At the end of the day we all know which one of y'all get all excited about the Bears drafting a qb and they never do. "This is the year!"

And here we are, once again, and no qb drafted.

Eventually you just need to accept the franchise believes in jay. If you want to argue about how he sucks and you don't like him, go ahead. A few of us just laugh because you're not changing anything. He's not going anywhere. So please sit and bitch during the games this season and next when 6 once again is under center.

Well he getting the last laugh.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No one said fatvak had taste in much, much less any football knowledge or even played the game.

I played all the way up to 2 years in college. You?

You're like 5'10, right? Probably weren't big enough to play. Not with that incredibly small frame you have.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nice- once again someone has to squeeze out their tampon all over the thread.

Loved the conversation while it lasted, but....

:enough:

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nice- once again someone has to squeeze out their tampon all over the thread.

Loved the conversation while it lasted, but....

:enough:

Same person, everytime. Attention whore who makes everything about him.

Yet, he's still allowed here. Mind blowing.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I didn't start anything airtime, stop kissing ass to the guy