Can Cutler be Elway?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
An interesting thread got locked due to immaturity, and nobody got to discuss the main point... the Cutler can be Elway theory.

(mods, if you want to nuke this, nuke it- but immaturity aside, there was a degree of effort put in to the "another damn qb thread"- I thought it might make an interesting discussion among adults)

The topic has been brought up frequently around this time of year in the past, because Cutler and Elways numbers many times seem similar on the surface.
The people who bring it up pay lip service to the two guys playing in different eras, but I dont think they grasp how different the eras were.
Rating plus is a great way to look at it, but many people completely blow that off when talking about Jay. So lets talk turnover percentage as compared to their eras.

in 83, Elways first year, The average team threw 22.3 tds, 22.1 ints.
In Elways final year, the average team threw for 22 tds and 17 ints.

Last season, the average team threw for 26.3 tds and 13.6 ints.... almost 2-1.

At the end of the day, what we are talking about is turnovers. Elway is perceived to have a lot, just like jay.
However, interception percentage year by year changes the way things look.

Elways interception percentage vs. the average on each season-
83- 5.7- Average team- 4.4- 1.3% below average
84- 3.9- Average team- 4.1- 0.2% above average
85- 3.8- Average team- 4.2- 0.4% above average
86- 2.6- Average team- 4.0- 1.4% above average
87- 2.9- Average team- 4.0- 1.1% above average
88- 3.8- Average team- 3.9- 0.1% above average
89- 4.3- Average team- 3.9- 0.4% below average
90- 2.8- Average team- 3.6- 0.8 above average
91- 2.7- Average team- 3.5- 0.8 above average
92- 5.4- average team- 3.9- 1.5% below average
93- 1.8- Average team- 3.3- 1.5% above average
94- 2.0- Average team- 3.1- 1.1% above average
95- 2.6- Average team- 3.1- 0.5% above average
96- 3.0- Average team- 3.4- 0.4% above average
97- 2.2- Average team- 3.0- 0.8% above average
98- 2.8- Average team- 3.3- 0.5% above average

In 16 seasons, Elway was below the average interception percentage 3 times. 13 years above average.

Now Jay-
06- 3.6- Average team- 3.2- 0.4% below average
07- 3.0- Average team- 3.1- 0.1% above average
08- 2.9- Average team- 2.8- 0.1% below average
09- 4.7- Average team- 3.1- 1.6% below average
10- 3.7- Average team- 3.0- 0.7% below average
11- 2.2- Average team- 2.9- 0.9 above average
12- 3.2- Average team- 2.6- 0.1% below average
13- 3.4- Average team- 2.8- 0.6% below average
14- 3.2- Average team- 2.5- 0.7% below average
15- 2.3- average team- 2.4- 0.1% above average

That is 3 years above average, 7 below.

To put it simply- Elway had as many seasons better than average in interception percentage after year 4 than Jay has had in 10 years.
Elway never had Back to Back seasons where he was below average in interception percentage... Jay has never had Back to Back seasons where he is above average.

If Jay were to continue at this rate (and there is no reason to believe he will not) He would need a 41 year career to reach 13 seasons above average.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'd have allow it in the main actually. Threads that someone clearly put a lot of effort into we'll let stand on their own, for at least awhile anyways.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It wasn't the OP but the direction the posts went. I like this thread.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cutler can't be Elway in quality obviously, but one area he could emulate him, and we all hope he does, is by hanging up his cleats as a champion. According to Rose, that's next year, so this is the year to do it.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I watched Elway play his entire career. To me, he was more impressive in the 80's when he was putting up 'worse' stats but was carrying a mediocre team to the Super Bowl. He was a great playmaker who could, most importantly, make plays in a limited number of opportunities.

So much of Elway is the opposite of Cutler. Defenses gameplanned to stop Elway...teams want Cutler to throw the ball as much as possible. Elway led a team whose best players were Sammy Winder and Karl Mecklenburg to back-to-back Super Bowls. Cutler is always on the periphery of game events....if the Bears dominate early, he'll end up throwing some TDs. If the Bears start slow, he'll add a few INTS to the mix. In terms of intangibles, Elway's teams always believed the could win because Elway won so many games in the last minute. '4th quarter rating' notwithstanding, I'm not really sure if Cutler's teams have any faith in him.

To your point, if you put Elway on those 2010-2012 Chicago Bears teams they likely make three straight Super Bowls. Winning two or three of them.

I assume the other thread was about Cutler having a late career revival?

Last edited:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
On this topic, if the tenure around CCS is what NFL fans is moving to in years then I fear that Elway will turn into the Joe Namath of our generation in terms of people simply just looking at his numbers and labeling him overrated or "How the fuck did people think this guy was good?"

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To your point, if you put Elway on those 2010-2012 Chicago Bears teams they likely make three straight Super Bowls. Winning tow or three of them.

Yup- You have seen it before.
Cutlers numbers equal Elways early numbers, therefor Cutler is Elway.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
jay ain't a leader. Elway was a leader, who teammates believe in. Ya don't see that with jay

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
To your point, if you put Elway on those 2010-2012 Chicago Bears teams they likely make three straight Super Bowls. Winning tow or three of them.

That NFC Championship game in 2010 is probably at least 14-14 going into halftime with Elway. And I believe we do win that game cause the only other points scored by the Packers was a pick 6 by Hanie who would obviously never seen playing time.

OBearsWon Kinobi

Liked Posts:
I made the OP and the point I was trying to make was Elway was ok for almost his whole career but the Super Bowls have made his whole career viewed with rose colored glasses. Also put up some numbers of other QBs that are of this era and Jays numbers were comparable. It's not impossible for him to put together a few really good years. This is the discussion I wanted to have. Thanks to this OP for bringing back up.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
What's sad is Connor Shaw is a better leader than Cutler. And he also has better pocket awareness. The tide turned against Jay for good when McCown came in and tore the league a new one under Trestman. That was the perfect time to ditch Cutler.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Another point to add to the debate is the supporting cast myth that somehow Jay Cutler doesn't win or doesn't produce because his supporting cast has never been up to snuff. John Elway never had a solid supporting cast around him until the final years of his career. Elway didn't have high level receivers until Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe, he didn't have a high level running game until Terrell Davis.

He cycled through players who rarely got to 1,000 yards rushing on a season. In fact the argue for Elway was what could he do with a solid supporting cast? Elway has one of the highest winning percentages of all-time so he did a lot on an annual basis year after year. He had two losing seasons during his career with the Broncos, TWO, each and every year he led his team to a winning record and did so with barely any great talent around him until he won the two Super Bowl titles at the end of his career.

Cutler is nowhere near John Elway, one of the all time greatest QBs in the history of the NFL precisely for the reasons mentioned and his ability to win games when the odds were entirely stacked against him with little help from his supporting cast.

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jay and John have 3 things in common-

Played for Broncos, Brunettes, and their names start with J.

The end. Period. Those 2 should never be mentioned in the same realm of a football discussion again. Jay is hot garbage.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No.

Cutler will not win a Super Bowl.

He will be the QB through this rebuild, and then he will be replaced when the right guy is available.

Rise

Liked Posts:
What's sad is Connor Shaw is a better leader than Cutler. And he also has better pocket awareness. The tide turned against Jay for good when McCown came in and tore the league a new one under Trestman. That was the perfect time to ditch Cutler.

Only game I have ever seen where the Bears never punted. Just pure offensive perfection. So what does this franchise do after that perfect game? Bench the QB and release him in the offseason. Blows my mind till this day.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
No.

Cutler will not win a Super Bowl.

He will be the QB through this rebuild, and then he will be replaced when the right guy is available.

Lol ok.

Sorry wind; we've heard that for few years now. Eventually you just need to accept the team likes Jay as the qb going forward.