Rio Olympics 2016 thread

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Anyone see the stuff about how the Olympics are supposedly very sexist?

All the examples they give seem very petty or misconstrued....

Bears DLman Mitch Unrein's wife won a medal and the Tribune reported it in that context and people took it as "Oh so it only matters because she is the wife of a Bears player?"

Some female swimmer won a medal and the announcer said something about how important her husband was to her victory, apparently because some shit happened where she couldn't/wouldn't get out of bed and he had to work to get her back out there and swimming..... but they took it as the announcer was crediting it all to the husband.... which is not what the dude meant, but ok.

There were also claims that in general the coverage leans towards showing Men rather than women.... which I have not noticed.... I see more women's events in prime time than men's.... I've seen more women's events period than men's....

Anyone else catch this and agree/disagree with it?

I think it's just a few SJW's making a big deal out of nothing.

Take for example Mitch Unrein's wife; she won bronze in a sport most people have never heard of. Would she have made the news is she wasn't the wife of a Chicago Bear? Of course not. The news cares about ratings, and anything that has to do with the Bears will bring in ratings in this city.

The other example they're bringing up is the female Hungarian swimmer Katinka Hosszú, whose husband was shown on tv screaming in the stands as his wife was not only winning a gold medal, but also beating the world record. The announcer of the race gave credit to her husband, and feminists everywhere lost their minds... The reason why her husband deserves some credit is because he's not just her husband, but also her trainer.

The third example I've heard is that people call Katie Ledecky "the female Michael Phelps", as if being compared to the greatest swimmer/Olympian ever is some sort of insult. As I posted above, Ledecky is just a phenomenal swimmer. Nevertheless, she still only has 5 total Olympic medals in her life, compared to 25 for Phelps. Most importantly, Michael Phelps' greatness came before Katie Ledecky started competing in the Olympics, so naturally she'll always be seen in his shadow. It's like Kobe being compared to Jordan throughout Kobe's whole career; Jordan came first, and Kobe followed suit. It's certainly not an insult to Kobe when he's considered the Michael Jordan of the 2000s.

All in all, these issues are so petty. There are females being put through genital mutilation in the Middle East, yet SJWs in the West are focusing on millionaire athletes not getting enough name recognition.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Announcers and interviewers are shitty.. and it's simple responses that are dumb that will continue and pointing out things like family or asking, what's the most surprising or famous congratulations you got that will continue and should be mocked as bad coverage.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

Houston

Liked Posts:
Announcers and interviewers are shitty.. and it's simple responses that are dumb that will continue and pointing out things like family or asking, what's the most surprising or famous congratulations you got that will continue and should be mocked as bad coverage.

The Olympics are much more enjoyable during the day, before prime-time, without NBC and Bob Costas covering them.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who gives a shit about the Olympics. The IOC are so fucking corrupt. The poor people in these countries get but fucked. The winners are all paid. All of it sucks.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Who gives a shit about the Olympics. The IOC are so fucking corrupt. The poor people in these countries get but fucked. The winners are all paid. All of it sucks.

:hawked:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I've seen highlights of phelps and simone biles dominate the competition. Biles is pretty fucking ridiculous. She gets some real air on her jumps.

Houston

Liked Posts:
Can't believe our women's soccer team just lost in the first elimination round.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:

Can't believe our women's soccer team just lost in the first elimination round.

I can't believe I agree with The Hawk.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I do agree with what you're saying. The one thing that draws me in is the fitness level these athletes are at and the competition. Sadly some judges have unjustly ruined dreams due to their dis-honesty. Not all of the doping is detected but it never can or will be as that science seems to stay a step ahead of the testing.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Race walking is an Olympic sport...

:obama:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I love that the embossed eagle T-shirt brigade is raging over Gaby Douglas not putting her hand over her heart for the anthem.

Almost as amusing as the annual "war on Christmas" crisis.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad to see Hope Solo is still gonna be Hope Solo.