2016 waiver moves

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
What do you mean? Like waiver trades or just waiver pick ups a la Valbuena?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What do you mean? Like waiver trades or just waiver pick ups a la Valbuena?

I'm guessing you're asking what I mean by looking to get pitchers..

Either or...

I mean they'd have to make claim first and see what happens..

I think their going to try and get a starter or two for a just in case depth..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
there is a pretty good analogy of trade deadline moves.

Before the deadline players who are outplaying their contracts are moved.

After the deadline, players who are not playing to the value of their contracts are moved.

There are Alex Rios type candidates every year, a team giving up, a team willing to try to fix them. I dont know who the candidates to fix are right now, but our 25 man cup runneth over.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing you're asking what I mean by looking to get pitchers..

Either or...

I mean they'd have to make claim first and see what happens..

I think their going to try and get a starter or two for a just in case depth..

Well problem is that literally every other team would have to not claim a guy before the cubs get a chance at him since they have the best record in the league. I don't think anything will really happen before the offseason.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Well problem is that literally every other team would have to not claim a guy before the cubs get a chance at him since they have the best record in the league. I don't think anything will really happen before the offseason.
I'm not talking anyone in great significant..
Just thinking if an arm or two gets through, the Cubs will probably try and grab them for depth purposes

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm not talking anyone in great significant..
Just thinking if an arm or two gets through, the Cubs will probably try and grab them for depth purposes

I get what you're saying but I just am not so sure anything even worth picking up will pass through waivers. Usually the "worth while" names that do get picked up tend to be guys like Leathersich who basically blew out his arm the previous year and was working his way back from TJS. However, he was a LOOGY not a starter. Additionally, I don't really thing the cubs depth at starter is all that terrible. They still have Dallas Beeler. He's probably a career minor leaguer but he can be effective in a short stint. They also have Aaron Brooks(guy they got in the first trade for Cogs) though he's been mostly hurt. They have Cahill though I think he's a FA after the year. They have Pierce Johnson though he's probably stuck in the bullpen going forward. They have Wood for spot starts though I know he's a FA. And they also have Ryan Williams(not on the 40 man) and Matusz who obviously wasn't good but in terms of depth he could be a guy they might be able to build up over the offseason.

In my eyes, the cubs probably need to aim for a few trades to increase their quality not necessarily their depth. For example, the cubs could probably run Ryan Williams out for 10 starts next year he wouldn't kill them. However, they don't really have an impact guys. That's where things become a bit tricky because usually teams are only dealing guys in the AA/AAA levels for big time trades and the cubs probably don't have that.

Overall though, I get the idea you're going for but I doubt anyone gets cut that really has any hope of starting. For example, the O's didn't cut Arrieta. Jacob Turner did get cut and we all had hope for him but it's obvious now why he was cut.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I get what you're saying but I just am not so sure anything even worth picking up will pass through waivers. Usually the "worth while" names that do get picked up tend to be guys like Leathersich who basically blew out his arm the previous year and was working his way back from TJS. However, he was a LOOGY not a starter. Additionally, I don't really thing the cubs depth at starter is all that terrible. They still have Dallas Beeler. He's probably a career minor leaguer but he can be effective in a short stint. They also have Aaron Brooks(guy they got in the first trade for Cogs) though he's been mostly hurt. They have Cahill though I think he's a FA after the year. They have Pierce Johnson though he's probably stuck in the bullpen going forward. They have Wood for spot starts though I know he's a FA. And they also have Ryan Williams(not on the 40 man) and Matusz who obviously wasn't good but in terms of depth he could be a guy they might be able to build up over the offseason.

In my eyes, the cubs probably need to aim for a few trades to increase their quality not necessarily their depth. For example, the cubs could probably run Ryan Williams out for 10 starts next year he wouldn't kill them. However, they don't really have an impact guys. That's where things become a bit tricky because usually teams are only dealing guys in the AA/AAA levels for big time trades and the cubs probably don't have that.

Overall though, I get the idea you're going for but I doubt anyone gets cut that really has any hope of starting. For example, the O's didn't cut Arrieta. Jacob Turner did get cut and we all had hope for him but it's obvious now why he was cut.

You can also add Grimm to that list, as he's the guy that's getting bumped up and down the most. I think it's very doubtful that every team will pass on someone that's as good or better than Grimm, Cahill or Johnson. Pitching is at premium prices for a reason, there's not much to be had.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
You can also add Grimm to that list, as he's the guy that's getting bumped up and down the most. I think it's very doubtful that every team will pass on someone that's as good or better than Grimm, Cahill or Johnson. Pitching is at premium prices for a reason, there's not much to be had.

If Matusz had pitched a good game instead of an awful one in his one start the day before the deadline Theo/Jed would have received calls about him immediately. We're talking Matusz. No way is there any pitching worth taking on waivers.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If Matusz had pitched a good game instead of an awful one in his one start the day before the deadline Theo/Jed would have received calls about him immediately. We're talking Matusz. No way is there any pitching worth taking on waivers.

While I generally agree with this, I think timing largely does matter. Teams basically clear guys off the 40 man after the season and occasionally then there's players to warrant minor consideration. For example, Leathersich actually could be a some what interesting bullpen arm say next year if his recover goes to plan. But the thing is you rarely find starters and honestly the cubs don't need more relievers.