3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Who is going to trade for Montero? Get off the hard drugs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Who is going to trade for Montero? Get off the hard drugs

Really?

If they can trade Montero go for it. If not let him be Jake's caddie. Contreras takes the rest.

I used a if. Not saying it will happen but if a team wants to take him and the Cubs eat some who knows. I believe his back is the real issue here.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Really?

If they can trade Montero go for it. If not let him be Jake's caddie. Contreras takes the rest.

I used a if. Not saying it will happen but if a team wants to take him and the Cubs eat some who knows. I believe his back is the real issue here.
You arent listening: no one is trading for Montero and his $13M contract so stop saying "if"

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You arent listening: no one is trading for Montero and his $13M contract so stop saying "if"

"If" he starts to hit like he did last year then maybe there is a good chance that "if" becomes more likely.

You say he is done.

I say he is dealing with back issues this year and should have been put in rehab for it vs taking one for the team.

Now most likely he will be Jake's caddie while Wilson takes the load.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
"If" he starts to hit like he did last year then maybe there is a good chance that "if" becomes more likely.

You say he is done.

I say he is dealing with back issues this year and should have been put in rehab for it vs taking one for the team.

Now most likely he will be Jake's caddie while Wilson takes the load.
He is done. He cant hit and he has put on 20 lbs. No one is paying $13m for him

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He is done. He cant hit and he has put on 20 lbs. No one is paying $13m for him
So eat some of his contract and send him somewhere else. That happens all the time in baseball. Or trade a bad contract for a bad contract and see of that other player can be turned. There are all kinds of options that could happen, Captain Debbie.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
So eat some of his contract and send him somewhere else. That happens all the time in baseball. Or trade a bad contract for a bad contract and see of that other player can be turned. There are all kinds of options that could happen, Captain Debbie.
My own personal troll follows every post I make

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Done? he has another year on his contract

Done as in his age has rapidly caught up with him. It was starting middle of last year but has gotten worse. Yes he can still frame well, and his game calling skills are good. But he can't hit, and he can't throw anyone out on the bases to save his life.

Contreras can hit, is deadly with his arm, his framing is improving, and his game calling skills appear to be rapidly improving with more reps. With Ross retiring, I'd like to see Contreras catch 4/5 games next year. Montero can be primary back-up catcher, and Schwarbs as emergency back-up catcher.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If Heyward was producing like he should have then I would agree here. The lacking of a 2nd LH power bat has been noticeable. When Zobrist is your #4 hitter it is a statement on how the line up falls south after Rizzo on RHSP days. A example of this was game 1 vs the birds. Nothing going on until a rushed swing by Cog's when the ump didn't give him time. Then a bunt by Ross. But losing Baez, Soler and Contreras killed the line up.

I would like to see Schwarber and Contreras playing the personal catcher game. Set Schwarber up with Hammel like he was supposed to. If they can trade Montero go for it. If not let him be Jake's caddie. Contreras takes the rest.

This allows them to keep Soler in LF at a decent rate. Ideally they work on his routes so he can take over RF. Then use Almora as a switch guy with Heyward starting in CF. this nets the highest impact line up every day. Baez you rotate 3B/SS/2B/Off. To keep those guys fresh.

Over all it comes down to run production. These starters are pretty damn good as it is. What they need is run support.

Odd are Lester is going to want Montero as his personal catcher next year. Schwarber and Contrares can swap the rest. We will have two out of three catchers that can play other positions next year, and Montero as the only catcher. Montero knows he will be in his final year, so he will look to get in shape and get another payday.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Odd are Lester is going to want Montero as his personal catcher next year. Schwarber and Contrares can swap the rest. We will have two out of three catchers that can play other positions next year, and Montero as the only catcher. Montero knows he will be in his final year, so he will look to get in shape and get another payday.
If Montero back next year, which I'll assume he will be
There really won't be any need for Schwarber to catch except for emergency or injury reasons..

Montero will get 1 or 2 starts through the rotation depending on giving Contreras extra rest and Montero will probably face the tougher RHers..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont think it will be any different than what Joe expected this year, which was definitely Hammel, possibly one more. Joe wants options and just putting Schwarber behind the plate for extra innings or blown leads is not going to work either.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I dont think it will be any different than what Joe expected this year, which was definitely Hammel, possibly one more. Joe wants options and just putting Schwarber behind the plate for extra innings or blown leads is not going to work either.

Hammel was going to match up with Schwarber anyways. He never made it that far.

He seems serviceable and if he can focus on 1 guy and get on the same game plan no big deal. Gives Contreras a blow.

Montero depends on a few factors.

Say they let Fowler go and decide to run Soler in RF and let Contreras and Schwarber platoon in LF and catch Montero's non catching days. Nothing is wrong with that. They would have Almora in the mix when needed. Szczur I can see traded. He has built up some quality value this year and is a roster block. Not really a desirable quality for a back up when you need a extra arm all of a sudden.

So I can see this happening. Heyward is serviceable in CF. Zobrist is serviceable as a lead off. This is really not a reach.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Or they can toss the plan in the fire and start Szczur in CF and lead off. He has always been one of those prospects that seemed to have impact potential. Given regular play it makes you wonder what his ceiling is.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Hammel was going to match up with Schwarber anyways. He never made it that far.

He seems serviceable and if he can focus on 1 guy and get on the same game plan no big deal. Gives Contreras a blow.

Montero depends on a few factors.

Say they let Fowler go and decide to run Soler in RF and let Contreras and Schwarber platoon in LF and catch Montero's non catching days. Nothing is wrong with that. They would have Almora in the mix when needed. Szczur I can see traded. He has built up some quality value this year and is a roster block. Not really a desirable quality for a back up when you need a extra arm all of a sudden.
Really? Szczur and Almora are equals on defense and overall speed. Szczur is a better hitter with more power. Maybe Almora should be on the block

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Does Szczur and Almora have UZR/150 that are close? MiLB really is not stat friendly

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fan graphs has his 150 in CF at -20.4
LF and RF are stronger. 15.9/17.9

Almora 13.3 CF/ LF:/RF: 82/29

So no not accurate info.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Heyward is a CF: 23.9 RF: 27.9. So more than serviceable in CF.

Now if they can teach Soler to run proper routes in RF they can go back to plan A