Willson Contreras

TL1961

Liked Posts:
"If" he starts to hit like he did last year then maybe there is a good chance that "if" becomes more likely.

You say he is done.

I say he is dealing with back issues this year and should have been put in rehab for it vs taking one for the team.

Now most likely he will be Jake's caddie while Wilson takes the load.

How's he going to start hitting if Contreras is getting the playing time?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
How's he going to start hitting if Contreras is getting the playing time?

I believe he needs the off season to recover. He is playing with a injury to his back. That is why Contreras' catching time increased and they pushed for Cog coming back and pushed Soler back.

Most likely he will stick next year to help mold Conteras and Schwarber.

Actually Schwarber becoming a plus catcher is a good thing. Contreras is a way better LF than Schwarber. He pretty much could go out there and play every day there.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I believe he needs the off season to recover. He is playing with a injury to his back. That is why Contreras' catching time increased and they pushed for Cog coming back and pushed Soler back.

Most likely he will stick next year to help mold Conteras and Schwarber.

Actually Schwarber becoming a plus catcher is a good thing. Contreras is a way better LF than Schwarber. He pretty much could go out there and play every day there.

Yeah but Contreras is miles ahead of where Schwarber was at any point in terms of catching ability AND Schwarber is coming of a major knee injury. I'd be shocked if the plan calls for Schwarber to catch at all next year except as the third catcher. I mean C defense + ability is way more important than LF defense.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Yeah but Contreras is miles ahead of where Schwarber was at any point in terms of catching ability AND Schwarber is coming of a major knee injury. I'd be shocked if the plan calls for Schwarber to catch at all next year except as the third catcher. I mean C defense + ability is way more important than LF defense.

at least the odds are greatly reduced at catcher from having your own team running into you blowing out your knee.

people seem to forget he was running in left field when we lost his bat for the season.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Having Contreras , Montero, and Schwarber catching next year is going to be a great thing for the club. Because Schwarber and Contreras will be everyday players. But Contreras has been outstanding. He works hard, he hits the ball, he can run, the guy hustles. And did you guys see him in the first inning at Colorado when he threw his mask at the last second? That was smart as hell because he didn't want to trip on it. The guy plays the game with brains and braun and he's fricking awesome.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Really? Szczur and Almora are equals on defense and overall speed. Szczur is a better hitter with more power. Maybe Almora should be on the block

Szczur is playing well. I like him.

You're crazy if you think he is Almora's equal defensively in CF.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Having Contreras , Montero, and Schwarber catching next year is going to be a great thing for the club. Because Schwarber and Contreras will be everyday players. But Contreras has been outstanding. He works hard, he hits the ball, he can run, the guy hustles. And did you guys see him in the first inning at Colorado when he threw his mask at the last second? That was smart as hell because he didn't want to trip on it. The guy plays the game with brains and braun and he's fricking awesome.

Schwarber is beyond horrible as a catcher. Unquestionably as bad as I have ever seen in his limited time back there last year. I have not seen another C who flat out fails to catch pitches multiple times per game. I would stop anything (almost) to watch him hit. But he should never ever sit behind the plate again - even without the injury.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You do realize that how you throw the mask once you know whee the ball is at is a standard teach for catchers...even at the Little League level? Well maybe you don't, so now you do.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
You do realize that how you throw the mask once you know whee the ball is at is a standard teach for catchers...even at the Little League level? Well maybe you don't, so now you do.
I was doing that in little league 50 years ago. Forgive him he is new to baseball

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Contrares is all about the right now, a motion up to throw the mask off when the ball is down on the ground, he wants to get that ball and throw it. Not defending not losing the mask, but you are also taught to hold your mask until you know where you have to get to before throwing it so you dont trip over it.