Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Too soon to begin discussing this?

Who wants to take a stab at it?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think largely it will remain the same. However, I think given you only need 4 starters you move hammel into a reliever and probably replace Smith considering his performance. That would free up another bat. If we assume the starting line up is something like this

C - Contreras(for Hendricks, Lackey), Montero(Arrieta), Ross(Lester)
1B - Rizzo
SS - Russell
CF - Fowler
RF - Heyward

In terms of LF, 3B and 2B, I think you're looking at Zobrist for everyone but Hendricks. Maddon likes Baez up the middle with Hendricks on the mound. In that case you probably play Bryant at 3B and Zobrist in LF. When Arrieta is on the mound, you're probably playing Contreras in LF, Bryant at 3B and Zobrist at 2B. When Lackey is on the mound, Bryant LF, Baez 3B, Zobrist 2B. Lester is likely the same as Arrieta. That would leave your bench mostly Soler, Szczur, the off day catcher, and Coghlan with a high chance La Stella returns. Soler's gonna see some starts. It's harder to predict when and where. Pretty good chance he starts vs LHP though given he has hit .279/.353/.459 on the year.

From pitching stand point, your 4 starters are pretty obvious. Assuming everyone is healthy you have Strop, Rondon, Chapman for 7th-9th. Montgomery and Wood are LH guys. Grimm Edwards and Hammel would be RH guys. You might fit Cahill in there as well and potentially Joe Thatcher(just signed LHP) and possibly Papelbon could offer alternatives to LHP and RHP down the stretch.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
La Stella better not play another game for the Chicago Cubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
La Stella better not play another game for the Chicago Cubs.

Well, he just reported to AA, and is starting 2B in their lineup tonight, so I'd say the odds are pretty good we see him back on the roster in a couple weeks...

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Well, he just reported to AA, and is starting 2B in their lineup tonight, so I'd say the odds are pretty good we see him back on the roster in a couple weeks...
good, love to have him back

DanTown

Liked Posts:
SP (4) - Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hendricks
RP (8) - Hammel, Montgomery, Wood, Edwards, Strop, Grimm, Rondon, Chapman
C (3) - Contreras, Ross, Montero
IF (6) - Rizzo, Russell, Baez, Zobrist, LaStella, Bryant
OF (4) - Heyward, Fowler, Soler, Szczur

Next up - Coghlan, Cahill

greg23

Liked Posts:
SP (4) - Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hendricks
RP (8) - Hammel, Montgomery, Wood, Edwards, Strop, Grimm, Rondon, Chapman
C (3) - Contreras, Ross, Montero
IF (6) - Rizzo, Russell, Baez, Zobrist, LaStella, Bryant
OF (4) - Heyward, Fowler, Soler, Szczur

Next up - Coghlan, Cahill

As if today:

Id say that's probably spot on with joe smith pitching his way off the roster and the final spot likely coming down to lastella or coghlan.....if lastella gets his head on straight he's a better pinch hitting option and also gives us a lh infielder which we lack.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Injury or sept 1, but with the current DL situation with Joe Smith and Coghlan hitting the DL now, and not DL'ing Lackey for his shoulder problem while Cahill is throwing well are all moves that might make a difference in October. Lackey wants his 200 innings but the smart thing is to let him skip a start or two. Now the discussion is does LaStella owe the players an apology for putting himself ahead of the team or will this average fielder with above average on base skills worth enough to cause a split in the clubhouse. Personally, I cringe every time LaStella starts over Baez, I could imagine how Javy feels about it.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
SP - Jake Arrieta, Jon Lester, Kyle Hendricks, Jason Hammel, John Lackey
RP - Justin Grimm, Travis Wood, Trevor Cahill, Carl Edwards Jr, Pedro Strop, Hector Rondon, Ardolis Chapman (this makes my mouth water)
IF- Anthony Rizzo, Javy Baez, Addison Russell,Ben Zobrist - Kris Bryant
OF- Dexter Fowler, Tommy LaStella, Matt Szczur, Jayson Heyward, Jorge Soler,
C - David Ross, Wilson Contreras, Miguel Montero

25 guys going to bring home a title.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Whats your starting rotation if playoff started tomorow

Ok so we're officially 5 1/2 weeks before October so its coming up pretty soon. Time to start thinking about which 4 Joe will start in the playoffs. Or will he go with a 5 man rotation? I think he goes with a 5 man starting with Hendricks and then if there's a game 5 and Hedricks was dominant in game one Joe would start him in game 5. But then he would use Hammel as the 5th starter.

So Im thinking its

1. Kyle Hendricks
2. Jake Arrieta
3. Jon Lester
4. John Lackey

Just because Lackey and Lester have playoff experience and I think that shit matters. Thoughts?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No need to start a different thread. Talk about the rotation here.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Ok so we're officially 5 1/2 weeks before October so its coming up pretty soon. Time to start thinking about which 4 Joe will start in the playoffs. Or will he go with a 5 man rotation? I think he goes with a 5 man starting with Hendricks and then if there's a game 5 and Hedricks was dominant in game one Joe would start him in game 5. But then he would use Hammel as the 5th starter.

So Im thinking its

1. Kyle Hendricks
2. Jake Arrieta
3. Jon Lester
4. John Lackey

Just because Lackey and Lester have playoff experience and I think that shit matters. Thoughts?

Arrieta
Hendricks (because of his home splits)
Lester
Lackey

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
There is a pecking order that starts with Arrietta and Maddon will not break that unless Arretta totally falls apart

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They need to have a .250 BA cut off for being a starting position player in the play offs.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arrieta
Hendricks (because of his home splits)
Lester
Lackey

this is what I was thinking. You keep Arrieta comfortable at home, and Hendricks home split and era warrants consideration.

Lester is better at home too, but I like the thought of entrusting the crusty playoff veterans Lester/Lackey to handle the road environment as they have seen it all.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Montero is a waste of a roster spot, imo.