Playoff Roster?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
this is what I was thinking. You keep Arrieta comfortable at home, and Hendricks home split and era warrants consideration.

Lester is better at home too, but I like the thought of entrusting the crusty playoff veterans Lester/Lackey to handle the road environment as they have seen it all.

People are really putting too much on this road and home thing. There is not a team that travels like the cubs, jeez, there must have been 25,000 cub fans at the game last night. Cubs fans are going to spend big money to watch this team in the playoffs wherever they are.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There is a pecking order that starts with Arrietta and Maddon will not break that unless Arretta totally falls apart
Arrieta was on ESPN radio yesterday waddle and silvy

They asked him if the starters talk amongst themselves about who should pitch first in playoff.. He said not really

Then they asked if he felt he should be the no. 1 guy...
He said of course he wants to be that guy, but if someone is hot and has thrown like 2 or 3 shutouts at end of season
Then they should ride the hot hand..
He said bottom line is winning games no matter who on the mound..

So, basically it was good to hear he has no ego and feels he deserving of being that no. 1 guy

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maddon not going to change anything around and go with the way he started..

Arrieta Lester Lackey

If he needs a 4th starter, he will go with match-up between Hammel and Hendricks

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Maddon not going to change anything around and go with the way he started..

Arrieta Lester Lackey

If he needs a 4th starter, he will go with match-up between Hammel and Hendricks

Is this serious? There is 100% chance Hendricks pitches. Hammel won't start in the post season. He.'a obviously the odd man out.

Hendricks is one of the best pitchers in baseball. No way he doesn't pitch in one of the first three games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Is this serious? There is 100% chance Hendricks pitches. Hammel won't start in the post season. He.'a obviously the odd man out.

Hendricks is one of the best pitchers in baseball. No way he doesn't pitch in one of the first three games.

First Round best of 5, so probably won't see either starting unless disaster strikes with first 3..

Game 4 of NLCS, depending on how series going..
Definitely Maddon going to start whoever matches up better between the two, plus he can simply go with one for as long as he can and then use the other in relief..

Hendricks may pitch but it not 100% he will start a game

Maddon might prefer to start Hammel and give him one or two times through order then go to Hendricks depending on score..
Maddon not your typical manager with his thoughts.. Lol

Me, I'd personally start Hendricks game 2 right now and just keep Hammel in pen

CSF77

Liked Posts:
First Round best of 5, so probably won't see either starting unless disaster strikes with first 3..

Game 4 of NLCS, depending on how series going..
Definitely Maddon going to start whoever matches up better between the two, plus he can simply go with one for as long as he can and then use the other in relief..

Hendricks may pitch but it not 100% he will start a game

Maddon might prefer to start Hammel and give him one or two times through order then go to Hendricks depending on score..
Maddon not your typical manager with his thoughts.. Lol

Me, I'd personally start Hendricks game 2 right now and just keep Hammel in pen

If they are up 2-1 going into game 4 it will be Hendricks. They would save Jake if either it goes to the last game or starting the new series. If they are falling behind who knows. Depends if Jake was good or not game 1. If he blew you go with Hendricks. If he won and the other 2 lost you go with Jake then Hendricks to clinch. Start off with Jon.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If they are up 2-1 going into game 4 it will be Hendricks. They would save Jake if either it goes to the last game or starting the new series. If they are falling behind who knows. Depends if Jake was good or not game 1. If he blew you go with Hendricks. If he won and the other 2 lost you go with Jake then Hendricks to clinch. Start off with Jon.
Too many ifs...

Don't know how old you are but in 84 the NLCS was a best of 5

Everyone questioned Frey decision not to go with his Ace Sutcliffe in game 4, up 2 games to 1 to close out the Padres.
Plus he had Trout a lefty, who was solid and was more then capable of getting job done if it went to game 5.

He instead went with Sanderson his no. 4 starter hoping to save Sutcliffe for game 1 of world series ..
Padres won game 4 and with all the momentum also took game 5..

Point is.. Don't count your chickens before they hatch
Win the series you're playing, then worry about who starting game 1 when you get there.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was starting high school that year. Remember it well.

That team lacked rotation depth. Cubs have 4 you can hang your hat on right now. Well Lackey is a gamer

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hendricks could win the Cy and they are going with Lackey. Period. He is a big time playoff pitcher. My theory

Jake game 1
Hendricks game 2(He is much better at Wrilgey throught his whole career)
Lester game 3
Lacey game 4
Jake game 5
Lester game 6
Jake/Lackey game 7 with everyone on deck.

This is no hate towards Hendricks, but Maddon plays numbers. Hendricks is kind of lack a better Travis Wood when he had that great year. Great season, but he is going with his horses. Lackey was brought here to pitch in the playoffs. He has balls of steel. Like he said, he didnt come here to get a haircut. He came here for a ring and the Cubs brought him here for that very reason.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Agree.
A week or so ago, begore Hammel's last two starts, Hendricks was 1st in ERA and Hammel was 3rd.

And I told a friend it is very possible - likely, actually- that neither is among first three playoff starters.

Unless injuries change things, Lester Arrieta and Lackey will be top 3 in postseason. Hendricks starts will depend more on matchups, but he may get the nod. He's less help from the pen than anyone else.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Oddly enough, I almost trust Arrieta the least out of the big four. But I understand he's our ace and needs to be out there.

Regardless, Hammel is riding the pine in October. And I'm sick of his antics - crying every time he gets pulled early.

He's not good enough to feel so entitled.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Oddly enough, I almost trust Arrieta the least out of the big four. But I understand he's our ace and needs to be out there.

Regardless, Hammel is riding the pine in October. And I'm sick of his antics - crying every time he gets pulled early.

He's not good enough to feel so entitled.

Well, those Hammel antics are nothing compared to what lackey would be doing if he was pulled.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Well, those Hammel antics are nothing compared to what lackey would be doing if he was pulled.

Lackey has multiple WS rings and is by far the more accomplished pitcher. Hammel hasn't done enough to earn that.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Lackey has multiple WS rings and is by far the more accomplished pitcher. Hammel hasn't done enough to earn that.

Still does not make it alright to leave Lackey in games when he should be pulled, but the manager is afraid to do it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People are really putting too much on this road and home thing. There is not a team that travels like the cubs, jeez, there must have been 25,000 cub fans at the game last night. Cubs fans are going to spend big money to watch this team in the playoffs wherever they are.

Its not about the crowd nit wit its about familiarity with the mound and the way winds play a ball park. Its not surprising to see an intellectual pitcher like Hendricks able to use familiarity to his advantage, and perhaps a little fatigue on the other team rather than be amped up at home in front of a crowd and all over his subpar fastball.

Arrieta travels well, while Lester/Lackey have the experience to minimize a hostile full housed playoff environment. Right now Cubs fans can pick and choose and show up to every cubs game, but in the playoffs teams will be able to sell out with their own fans. Don't expect a mixed crowd in New York in game 3.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I was starting high school that year. Remember it well.

That team lacked rotation depth. Cubs have 4 you can hang your hat on right now. Well Lackey is a gamer
Lacked Rotation depth?

They had

Sutcliffe Cy young
Trout one of the better LH 3.41 ERA 6 CG
Eckersley best control pitcher in game 3.03 ERA
Sanderson 3.14 ERA

I'd hang my hat and coat with those guys

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Here my thinking on Roster for NLDS

Contreras
Rizzo
Zobrist
Russell
Bryant
Soler
Fowler
Heyward

Ross
Baez
Coghlan
LaStella
Szczur
Almora (if Maddon only goes with 7 relievers)

Arrieta
Lester
Lackey
Hendricks

Zastryzny
Wood
Grimm
Edwards
Strop
Rondon
Chapman

Smith/Montgomery/Hammel/Cahill
If Maddon decides to go with 8 relievers

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Here my thinking on Roster for NLDS

Contreras
Rizzo
Zobrist
Russell
Bryant
Soler
Fowler
Heyward

Ross
Baez
Coghlan
LaStella
Szczur
Almora (if Maddon only goes with 7 relievers)

Arrieta
Lester
Lackey
Hendricks

Zastryzny
Wood
Grimm
Cahill
Strop
Rondon
Chapman

Smith/Montgomery/Hammel
If Maddon decides to go with 8 relievers

Montero will be on the roster.

I see it as

Contreras, Ross, Montero

Bryant, Russell, Zobrist, Rizzo, Baez

Soler, Fowler, Heyward, Szczur

Coghlan and LaStella as maybe's.

Most likely a 4 man rotation

Arreta, Lester, Lackey and Hendricks

Pen

Set are Chapman, Rondon, Strop

Cahill and Wood should be there if they perform

Edwards has made a case with Zast. Montgomery also has made a case. Grimm has bounced back. Hammel will end up in the pen.

That is how it should play. I believe LaStella, Coghlan will not be on. They have to choose between Mont and Zast.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Montero will be on the roster.

I see it as

Contreras, Ross, Montero

Bryant, Russell, Zobrist, Rizzo, Baez

Soler, Fowler, Heyward, Szczur

Coghlan and LaStella as maybe's.

Most likely a 4 man rotation

Arreta, Lester, Lackey and Hendricks

Pen

Set are Chapman, Rondon, Strop

Cahill and Wood should be there if they perform

Edwards has made a case with Zast. Montgomery also has made a case. Grimm has bounced back. Hammel will end up in the pen.

That is how it should play. I believe LaStella, Coghlan will not be on. They have to choose between Mont and Zast.
You have 26 guys listed...

Montero a waste of a spot..
He not going to start and provides nothing off bench offensively or defensively..

At least Cogs and LaStella both lefties are better options as pinch hitters , can be used to pinch run, and if needed as defensive options late.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You have 26 guys listed...

Montero a waste of a spot..
He not going to start and provides nothing off bench offensively or defensively..

At least Cogs and LaStella both lefties are better options as pinch hitters , can be used to pinch run, and if needed as defensive options late.

Count again. Had Stella and Cog's off with a choice between Zast and Mont.

Montero will be on. To be honest he should be catching more in the series due to experience. He is taking a back seat right now so Contreras can log in more game experience but the play offs is a whole new animal and I doubt Joe will roll the dice here