IST: Cubs @ Rockies

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's called good reporting.

That's kind of a can of worms isn't it? I agree with you that sometimes I wish more probing questions be asked but as in most sports today managers/coaches aren't likely to answer them, at least in anything but a perfunctory way. To ger more specific to baseball the beat writers have a real tightrope to walk. They have to build relationships with the teams in order to get the content they need to produce and oft times they have to prioritize their timing on the tough questions. The recent issues of the Chapman trade and then the La Stella AWOL adventure had many of them really pressing for answers to the point where the team had to give them, at least to a point, but not every situation is weighted that way and if they press hard too often they're going to get cut off on some big stories. At least in baseball we still get some candid talk, in football and increasingly hockey you get absolutely nothing anymore.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That's kind of a can of worms isn't it? I agree with you that sometimes I wish more probing questions be asked but as in most sports today managers/coaches aren't likely to answer them, at least in anything but a perfunctory way. To ger more specific to baseball the beat writers have a real tightrope to walk. They have to build relationships with the teams in order to get the content they need to produce and oft times they have to prioritize their timing on the tough questions. The recent issues of the Chapman trade and then the La Stella AWOL adventure had many of them really pressing for answers to the point where the team had to give them, at least to a point, but not every situation is weighted that way and if they press hard too often they're going to get cut off on some big stories. At least in baseball we still get some candid talk, in football and increasingly hockey you get absolutely nothing anymore.
I agree with you as well, however....

To be a great reporter you need to ask the tough questions fairly, but as the situation calls for it. It's for me at least the definition of a truly great reporter.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
First off Jason is not a righty only player. His lefty splits is ahead of what he is doing in 2016 against any pitcher.
Most friendly hitting park in all of baseball so you play the odds. All decisions are based on it or should be.
They could be playing in Williamsport with 200 foot fenches and it wouldn't of helped Heyward much because the majority of his contact are groundballs and pop-ups..

So odds are, he would of continued to struggle and probably dug himself deeper into having zero confidence of ever getting out of it because he couldn't hit in the friendly hitters Park.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with you as well, however....

To be a great reporter you need to ask the tough questions fairly, but as the situation calls for it. It's for me at least the definition of a truly great reporter.

From what I've seen of Madden he doesn't mind tough questions from media. Last week after the double header a reporter questioned Maddens use of Chapman in both games and Madden gave a calm 5 min response explaining why.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
They could be playing in Williamsport with 200 foot fenches and it wouldn't of helped Heyward much because the majority of his contact are groundballs and pop-ups..

So odds are, he would of continued to struggle and probably dug himself deeper into having zero confidence of ever getting out of it because he couldn't hit in the friendly hitters Park.

LL fences are 225 ft

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: #Cubs vs. #Padres, Friedrich (8/23):
Fowler CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Zobrist LF
Russell SS
Heyward RF
Baez 2B
Contreras C
Arrieta P

Contreras gets second start behind plate with Arrieta

Probably Maddon game 1 playoff lineup

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
@TheCCO: #Cubs vs. #Padres, Friedrich (8/23):
Fowler CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Zobrist LF
Russell SS
Heyward RF
Baez 2B
Contreras C
Arrieta P

Contreras gets second start behind plate with Arrieta

Probably Maddon game 1 playoff lineup

Wrong thread. ;)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

That thinking is against the odds and poor decision making which is why I am questioning what they decided to do.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
From what I've seen of Madden he doesn't mind tough questions from media. Last week after the double header a reporter questioned Maddens use of Chapman in both games and Madden gave a calm 5 min response explaining why.

Then you agree with me that Maddon needs to be asked.