IST: Cubs @ Padres

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Pump the brakes. Russell has a looong way to go before he does enough offensively to catch up to Bryant's overall value. So long that he will almost certainly never get there.

Well he's not the offensive player that Bryant is. But baseball players have to play defense. And Russell is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Bryant defensively. Addy is only 22 and he's on pace to hit 100 RBI's and play elite defense at the most important position. Plus his hitting is incredibly clutch.

It would not surprise me to see Russell top out at .290/.350 with 30 HR's and 115 RBI's -- all while playing gold glove caliber defense. He may not even peak for 4-6 years. It's scary.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Also wouldn't surprise me to see Babe Schwarber put up the following stat line:

.400 BA
.500 OBP
82 HR's
151 RBI's
38 SB's
220 IP
1.75 ERA
287 K's
20 BB's

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Well he's not the offensive player that Bryant is. But baseball players have to play defense. And Russell is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Bryant defensively. Addy is only 22 and he's on pace to hit 100 RBI's and play elite defense at the most important position. Plus his hitting is incredibly clutch.

It would not surprise me to see Russell top out at .290/.350 with 30 HR's and 115 RBI's -- all while playing gold glove caliber defense. He may not even peak for 4-6 years. It's scary.

Weighting defensive value the same as offense? RBIs? "Clutch" hitting (Russel's RISP slash line is .256/.333/.459, BTW, hardly impressive)? There's so many bad baseball thoughts in this post it's hard to know where to begin unpacking them...

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Weighting defensive value the same as offense? RBIs? "Clutch" hitting (Russel's RISP slash line is .256/.333/.459, BTW, hardly impressive)? There's so many bad baseball thoughts in this post it's hard to know where to begin unpacking them...

Timely point as a lot of people are bent out of shape because the team's biggest pay out is going to a .225 hitter....BUT, he is playing a Gold Glove RF. That doesn't seem to be enough, does it?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Uhm...Addisson is not near Gold Glove Caliber. As he gets bigger he'll slip some defensively.
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...6&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I've said this a few times but it would not surprise me to see Russell develop into the best of our young guys.

Better than Bryant and Schwarber. He'll never put up offensive numbers like those guys but he's a gold glove-caliber defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I very highly doubt he will surpass Bryant.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:

I'm thoroughly convinced people don't even watch the games any more. Nobody is "weighting defensive values the same as offense." You are literally not even weighting defense at all. In the NL you have to play defense. I've watched all but maybe 5 games this year and any one watching the games knows Russell is better than Bryant at defense. It's indisputable. He's better in every facet -- instincts, athleticism, foot work, etc. He is literally better by every metric and to act like defense doesn't exist is a joke.

Again, any one watching the games consistently knows Russell's had several very clutch hits. You reference Russell's un-"impressive" offensive numbers -- why don't you weight his age. He's 22 friggin' years old. For a 22 year old SS to be on pace in mid August for 100 RBI's is extremely impressive.

You can't even really argue any of my points -- let alone calling them "bad baseball thoughts."

Let's be honest - how many games have you truly watched this year? Full games.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Uhm...Addisson is not near Gold Glove Caliber. As he gets bigger he'll slip some defensively.
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...6&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Ah, the obligatory citing of fangraphs. Can people please watch more games instead of citing fangraphs to manipulate a point. I wish people would comprehend that stats can be used to manipulate any point.

Russell plays excellent defense and absolutely has elite/gold glove trajectory. Any one watching knows this.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm thoroughly convinced people don't even watch the games any more. Nobody is "weighting defensive values the same as offense." You are literally not even weighting defense at all. In the NL you have to play defense. I've watched all but maybe 5 games this year and any one watching the games knows Russell is better than Bryant at defense. It's indisputable. He's better in every facet -- instincts, athleticism, foot work, etc. He is literally better by every metric and to act like defense doesn't exist is a joke.

Again, any one watching the games consistently knows Russell's had several very clutch hits. You reference Russell's un-"impressive" offensive numbers -- why don't you weight his age. He's 22 friggin' years old. For a 22 year old SS to be on pace in mid August for 100 RBI's is extremely impressive.

You can't even really argue any of my points -- let alone calling them "bad baseball thoughts."

Russell is a plus defender, but he is also stationed at one position. Bryant is playing everywhere while putting up MVP offensive numbers and above average D. He is also the better base runner. I dont think anyone is knocking Russell. He just has a long,long ways to go to catch Bryant in anything. Yes, he does have a ton of RBI's because he is like 3rd or 4th in the entire league in RBI opportunities. He has been a better hitter with runners on this year. So, maybe, just catch your breath and let him develop. Bryant may turn out to be the best player in the league before its done. I dont think Russell has that ability, but we will see. You know how many Cubs in history have hit 30 home runs and scored a 100 runs before the age of 25? Kris Bryant.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Ah, the obligatory citing of fangraphs. Can people please watch more games instead of citing fangraphs to manipulate a point. I wish people would comprehend that stats can be used to manipulate any point.

Russell plays excellent defense and absolutely has elite/gold glove trajectory. Any one watching knows this.

Yes, watching just Russell and not the others has no bias. Pardon me.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Russell is a plus defender, but he is also stationed at one position. Bryant is playing everywhere while putting up MVP offensive numbers and above average D. He is also the better base runner. I dont think anyone is knocking Russell. He just has a long,long ways to go to catch Bryant in anything. Yes, he does have a ton of RBI's because he is like 3rd or 4th in the entire league in RBI opportunities. He has been a better hitter with runners on this year. So, maybe, just catch your breath and let him develop. Bryant may turn out to be the best player in the league before its done. I dont think Russell has that ability, but we will see. You know how many Cubs in history have hit 30 home runs and scored a 100 runs before the age of 25? Kris Bryant.

Actually Fatbeard clearly knocked him. He said his defensive ability doesn't count and his offense is not impressive. He blatantly knocked him.

I should also mention Bryant will never be as good as Trout or Harper. So while he's a magnificent player - he really doesn't have the ability to be the best player in the game. I have to dispute that notion.

Also even if he was stationed at one position, you won't find much evidence that he'd be a better defender than Russell. So again I dispute that.

Having said all this, Bryant is clearly the better player now. And yeah, he'll probably be the better player in his prime. All I'm saying is Russell will be a an amazing overall player and if he developed over all player - it wouldn't be the most shocking occurrence ever. It's scary how good he could be.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually Fatbeard clearly knocked him. He said his defensive ability doesn't count and his offense is not impressive. He blatantly knocked him.

I should also mention Bryant will never be as good as Trout or Harper. So while he's a magnificent player - he really doesn't have the ability to be the best player in the game. I have to dispute that notion.

Also even if he was stationed at one position, you won't find much evidence that he'd be a better defender than Russell. So again I dispute that.

Having said all this, Bryant is clearly the better player now. And yeah, he'll probably be the better player in his prime. All I'm saying is Russell will be a an amazing overall player and if he developed over all player - it wouldn't be the most shocking occurrence ever. It's scary how good he could be.

Bryant is better than Harper this year.

Trout is a 6.9fWAR.

Kris Bryant is a 6.6fWAR

Bryant is def. in their category.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Bryant is better than Harper this year.

Trout is a 6.9fWAR.

Kris Bryant is a 6.6fWAR

Bryant is def. in their category.

I may not have believed that at the start of this year but how anyone can question it now is beyond me. There's no question that he's top 5 player in the game right damn now and he's in his second season

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
You are literally not even weighting defense at all.

I am weighting defense. Unlike you, however, I recognize that Bryant's enormous offensive value far surpasses the additional value Russell brings as a superior defender. The metrics prove this beyond any reasonable doubt.

In the NL you have to play defense.

8/9 players in the lineup have to play defense in the AL as well. What in the world does this apocryphal comment have to do with the overall value of Bryant vs. Russell?

I've watched all but maybe 5 games this year and any one watching the games knows Russell is better than Bryant at defense.

No one disputes this.

It's indisputable.

No one disputed it.

He's better in every facet -- instincts, athleticism, foot work, etc. He is literally better by every metric and to act like defense doesn't exist is a joke.

Cool strawman.

Again, any one watching the games consistently knows Russell's had several very clutch hits.

I'm sure Bryant has had several very clutch hits as well. So instead of relying on our faulty memories to determine who's more "clutch", maybe we should look at objective data that does not suffer from recency or confirmation bias? What a fucking amazing idea that would be.

You reference Russell's un-"impressive" offensive numbers -- why don't you weight his age. He's 22 friggin' years old.

Maybe because we're comparing Addison Russell right now to Kris Bryant right now. And right now is 22 years old and his production is what it is. I'm sorry if that's inconvenient for you.

For a 22 year old SS to be on pace in mid August for 100 RBI's is extremely impressive.

You continue to harp on RBI as if it's a point. It's baffling, really. What's next, the value of bunting?

Allow me to rephrase: Your post was a stinking, sweaty, STD-infested orgy of bad baseball thoughts. It was that bad.

So many that I don't bother counting them for the purpose of measuring myself against other fans. Your mileage may vary.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I may not have believed that at the start of this year but how anyone can question it now is beyond me. There's no question that he's top 5 player in the game right damn now and he's in his second season

Excluding pitchers right?

Top five all around batters...hmmmm...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Excluding pitchers right?

Top five all around batters...hmmmm...

Yes, I'm not sure I would include pitchers in that kind of a list but to be specific top five position players. The kid is likely to finish at about 8.5 WAR this year only behind Trout, and maybe Altuve.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yes, I'm not sure I would include pitchers in that kind of a list but to be specific top five position players. The kid is likely to finish at about 8.5 WAR this year only behind Trout, and maybe Altuve.

But top five? Hmmm...I started a thread for it.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I am weighting defense. Unlike you, however, I recognize that Bryant's enormous offensive value far surpasses the additional value Russell brings as a superior defender. The metrics prove this beyond any reasonable doubt.

8/9 players in the lineup have to play defense in the AL as well. What in the world does this apocryphal comment have to do with the overall value of Bryant vs. Russell?

No one disputes this.

No one disputed it.

Cool strawman.

I'm sure Bryant has had several very clutch hits as well. So instead of relying on our faulty memories to determine who's more "clutch", maybe we should look at objective data that does not suffer from recency or confirmation bias? What a fucking amazing idea that would be.

Maybe because we're comparing Addison Russell right now to Kris Bryant right now. And right now is 22 years old and his production is what it is. I'm sorry if that's inconvenient for you.

You continue to harp on RBI as if it's a point. It's baffling, really. What's next, the value of bunting?

Allow me to rephrase: Your post was a stinking, sweaty, STD-infested orgy of bad baseball thoughts. It was that bad.

So many that I don't bother counting them for the purpose of measuring myself against other fans. Your mileage may vary.

Not only do you not even watch the games, you don't even read the posts you are responding to. The entire basis of my original comment was Russell could ultimately end up the best.

I'm not going to say you are a seriously compromised individual with a border line IQ -- because that would be mean.....but.....it is best to remain silent and have people assume you are a moron, then to actually speak and confirm it.