Is Kris Bryant Top Five in MLB?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
But he plays all those positions at a below average level. So it's not so valuable. I would argue it hurts him some.

Actually that's completely false. Bryant is above average at every defensive position he's played in 2016. The link below mentions that his UZR might be propped up slightly due to playing behind the likes of Arrieta and Hendricks but in his 2 primary positions, 3B and LF, he grades out as slightly above average at 4.8 UZR at both of them with 0 being average. Even if you include that bump from the pitchers he would be above that 0 average threshold.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kris-bryant-might-be-the-best-all-around-player-in-the-nl/

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Even your numbers show that he's barely below average at 3B in fielding % and slightly above in LF. This is one of the things that ranks him lower in bWAR than fWAR in that Fangraphs relies more heavily on advanced defensive metrics that are admittedly not foolproof. Taking both takes into account the worst you could call him is about average defensively.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Something Len has been mentioning is now Bryant is 15 home runs away from Joe Dimaggio's record of 75 for his first two years.

If he misses this by one or two home runs, (the possible two he could have hit the first two weeks of last season) will these expert fans still think that Bryant wont hold that against the cubs when its time to negotiate a deal? He already filed the grievance to get super two status and lose that year anyway, and there is no doubt the cubs try to sign him to a rizzo type deal anyway which the two weeks are insignificant anyway.

Sure would be a nice record for Arrenado to shoot for next year.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Something Len has been mentioning is now Bryant is 15 home runs away from Joe Dimaggio's record of 75 for his first two years.

If he misses this by one or two home runs, (the possible two he could have hit the first two weeks of last season) will these expert fans still think that Bryant wont hold that against the cubs when its time to negotiate a deal? He already filed the grievance to get super two status and lose that year anyway, and there is no doubt the cubs try to sign him to a rizzo type deal anyway which the two weeks are insignificant anyway.

The grievance was filed at the behest of the MLBPA in order to get the issue into negotiations for the new CBA. It means very little substantively. As far as using that in negotiations for a deal? I don't see why they wouldn't and I also don't see why it matters. In the end the decision is strictly about money and who is offering the most.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
LOL, So fucking what? He has 0-5 games too. That's like saying Barry Sanders sucked because most of his yards came on big gains.

Do have a sub 70 IQ? It's like you live in Manitowec County in the selvedge yard. I love debating people who have brother and sister for parents!

#FatBlimp

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Even your numbers show that he's barely below average at 3B in fielding % and slightly above in LF. This is one of the things that ranks him lower in bWAR than fWAR in that Fangraphs relies more heavily on advanced defensive metrics that are admittedly not foolproof. Taking both takes into account the worst you could call him is about average defensively.

Oh I agree. I called him below average because 49 is below 50. But really he's average if you give average a range bigger than .01

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

So McGwire's Cup of Coffee disqualifies him I would assume.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Oh I agree. I called him below average because 49 is below 50. But really he's average if you give average a range bigger than .01

Again though when one site measures his skills as ever so slightly below average and the other close to the above average mark I wouldn't say he was below average. Hopefully defensive stats will become more standardized and reliable over time.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Again though when one site measures his skills as ever so slightly below average and the other close to the above average mark I wouldn't say he was below average. Hopefully defensive stats will become more standardized and reliable over time.

Statcast may play a big role in that.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
For me it's about split on who they like.

That said, just because you are top 5 war does not mean you are a top 5 player in the game today, right? Example could be Harper. Last year this time many were saying an all time great. How that perception has changed.

Harper is not even the best player on his team right not. Oh how things change.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If Bryant was hitting #4 he would have over 100 RBI's right now. Sure he has pushed 100 runs but when you look at power hitters RBI's tend to be a heavy weight. You put his RBI's over 100 with a .300 BA and pushing 40 RBI's this would be a dead topic.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
If Bryant was hitting #4 he would have over 100 RBI's right now. Sure he has pushed 100 runs but when you look at power hitters RBI's tend to be a heavy weight. You put his RBI's over 100 with a .300 BA and pushing 40 RBI's this would be a dead topic.
If he were playing for the Padres or Braves he would have 20 less RBI

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No bias here, because I'm not a Cubs fan. The top 5 everyday players going forward are:
1. Harper
2. Trout
3. Bryant
4. Machado
5. Altuve

I suppose that is the order I'd put them in.
I don't agree with your order, Gus, but your input is appreciated. I would put Harper in the 3 spot.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Welcome to the 1970's when people thought the top RBI guy needs to always hit 4th.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Welcome to the 1970's when people thought the top RBI guy needs to always hit 4th.

He would. Russell is feasting right now hitting #5.

All they would have to do is put the top OBA guys ahead of him. Hitting #2 he has the pitcher spot killing RBI opportunity.

Fowler .389
Zobrist .388
Rizzo .396
Bryant .393

That is 3 guys ahead of him sitting around .400 OBA each vs Fowler and the pitcher who is lucky to sniff a .300 OBA.

It is not about old school. It is about the odds.

The whole #2 hitter is the top hitter works in the AL more where they can put a 2nd best lead off hitting #9 then the #2 hitter becomes well fed in RBI chances. In the NL that style of play limits the #2 hitter's run production.

Case in point: 86 RBI's. 33 of them are himself. So he has hit a guy in 53 times in his 144 hits.
Russell hitting #5 for a good chunk: 83 RBI's 19 are himself so he has hit a guy in 64 times in 105 hits.

It is just a numbers game. The fact is the Cubs get on base at the top. Then there is a drop off at the bottom. Baez has been the exception when playing. But even then youy have to deal with a pitcher. So that is the reason Bryant is not feasting like Russell is. Bryant is by far having a stronger season but leads him by 3. 40 more hits. 14 more HR's and only 3 more RBI's.

So no....... logic is logic. Your judgement doesn't add up.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
He would. Russell is feasting right now hitting #5.

All they would have to do is put the top OBA guys ahead of him. Hitting #2 he has the pitcher spot killing RBI opportunity.

Fowler .389
Zobrist .388
Rizzo .396
Bryant .393

That is 3 guys ahead of him sitting around .400 OBA each vs Fowler and the pitcher who is lucky to sniff a .300 OBA.

It is not about old school. It is about the odds.

The whole #2 hitter is the top hitter works in the AL more where they can put a 2nd best lead off hitting #9 then the #2 hitter becomes well fed in RBI chances. In the NL that style of play limits the #2 hitter's run production.

Case in point: 86 RBI's. 33 of them are himself. So he has hit a guy in 53 times in his 144 hits.
Russell hitting #5 for a good chunk: 83 RBI's 19 are himself so he has hit a guy in 64 times in 105 hits.

It is just a numbers game. The fact is the Cubs get on base at the top. Then there is a drop off at the bottom. Baez has been the exception when playing. But even then youy have to deal with a pitcher. So that is the reason Bryant is not feasting like Russell is. Bryant is by far having a stronger season but leads him by 3. 40 more hits. 14 more HR's and only 3 more RBI's.

So no....... logic is logic. Your judgement doesn't add up.

Bryant is an ideal fit in the #2 spot because hits into an extraordinarily small number of double plays. That frequently gives Rizzo in the #3 spot the opportunity to hit with at least one, and many times two men on.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kris-bryant-might-be-the-best-all-around-player-in-the-nl/