Ben Zobrist
Chris Coghlan
Dexter Fowler

All but Hendricks of the starters are past prime years
This is what Epstein Hoyer need to address this off season
to have ready for 2018..

Position players are pretty much set for a few years

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Average prime for players is about 28-32, of course with more and more players coming up younger that could bring the bottom down a year or two. Then you have outliers like left handed starting pitchers who might be in their prime until 33 or so.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With Ped's players were cruzing til 38-40 on avg. that is why teams were giving out mega deals to guys in their early 30's. I believe that era will end with the cut off at 36. After that guys would be lucky to sniff a 2 year deal.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If the cubs stay on the same pace they've already clinched the NL central. They are on pace to win 105 games or 23 more and have a magic number of 22.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
With Ped's players were cruzing til 38-40 on avg. that is why teams were giving out mega deals to guys in their early 30's. I believe that era will end with the cut off at 36. After that guys would be lucky to sniff a 2 year deal.

Fangraphs had a piece on this a few years back showing the average best season by age in the steroid era vs today's game. The average best year then was around 33 while now it's 28-29. Huge difference.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I think you guys are being way too generous to the average prime being as old as 28-32 for position players. Maybe that's true of pitchers because there is so much to learn in terms of throwing and many pitchers don't get there until they're 23-24 years old but for position players, I would say that in a non-steroid era that 28 is the tail end of their peak value and then they're on the decline. Some guys who are fantastic hitters stretch that curve out but you think of all the multi-tool players, their highest WAR seasons were typically in the early to mid 20s when they still were at their peak athletically. The only guy who fits that description for the Cubs is really Rizzo and maybe Schwarber where as Russell, Bryant, Heyward, etc are all guys who's high value is tied to their elite quickness/athletic ability both at the plate and in the field.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
In his second year, Kris is just a beast. I can't believe the Cubs have players like Bryant, Rizzo, and Russell. Everything the Cubs management did, it mostly came out roses. Hendry gave away minor leaguers for aging players. Now the Cubs young players in their prime. I'm excited to see this team compete year after year like the Red Sox, Yanks, Giants, and Braves during their prime years.

To be fair, Hendry won a lot more trades then he lost because his young players never amounted to anything. I mean he raped the Pirates for Ramirez and Lofton.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cq4W6VGVIAEFguH.jpg

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
They are facing a lefty. That 4-3 won us the game last night.
Nope, heard one of the beat reporters say that Maddon is really starting to sour on 4-3 and he may be a defensive replacement come playoff

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Average prime for players is about 28-32, of course with more and more players coming up younger that could bring the bottom down a year or two. Then you have outliers like left handed starting pitchers who might be in their prime until 33 or so.
Because I was interested in seeing.. Everything I saw on that topic had 26 to 29 being prime years for MLB players...

IMO .. I think once guys hit 30 to 32, they pretty much hit their peak and there a higher percentage that their production either maintains or starts to decline a bit, depending on the player..

Obviously there are some that are better at that age then they were their previous years, but I think their just the exception to the norm.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope, heard one of the beat reporters say that Maddon is really starting to sour on 4-3 and he may be a defensive replacement come playoff

Yea, thats why Maddon called him a winner last night.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To be fair, Hendry won a lot more trades then he lost because his young players never amounted to anything. I mean he raped the Pirates for Ramirez and Lofton.

He did great in 2003. Most of that was from the hip and current needs. I.e. Demand and taking what was out there. He sucked in the offseason in general. Except when he signed Lilly and DeRosa on a hospital bed. That was a solid signing. Sori was a sale drive up and I believe he was not involved in it.

But when he had time each trade sucked. Headlined by Piere running away after a 1 year buy. Or not extending Loften or later Jimmy ball game in 2009. He never said he was done and he did play after a lay off. But no they decide to goto MB and Patterson before that. They had a perfect CF already in place and just had to work a deal.

Another reason why they should resign Fowler. 3rd time is not a charm

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Because I was interested in seeing.. Everything I saw on that topic had 26 to 29 being prime years for MLB players...

IMO .. I think once guys hit 30 to 32, they pretty much hit their peak and there a higher percentage that their production either maintains or starts to decline a bit, depending on the player..

Obviously there are some that are better at that age then they were their previous years, but I think their just the exception to the norm.

You might be right in today's era. I think it comes down to parameters. This is a piece citing a study using data from 1921-2006 and breaks a hitter down into categories reaching the conclusion that hitter's peak is 29.6. If you you set the parameters of prime as 2 years before and 2 years after as the prime years you get 27.6-31.6. Of course that's arbitrary. Maybe you say only 1 year and it's 28.6-30.6. Either way the Cubs are in fine shape.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

On avg most likely it is correct. Individualy most likely not as guys start at diffrent ages. Baez May last longer as his early years were part time. Bryant started later etc.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He did great in 2003. Most of that was from the hip and current needs. I.e. Demand and taking what was out there. He sucked in the offseason in general. Except when he signed Lilly and DeRosa on a hospital bed. That was a solid signing. Sori was a sale drive up and I believe he was not involved in it.

But when he had time each trade sucked. Headlined by Piere running away after a 1 year buy. Or not extending Loften or later Jimmy ball game in 2009. He never said he was done and he did play after a lay off. But no they decide to goto MB and Patterson before that. They had a perfect CF already in place and just had to work a deal.

Another reason why they should resign Fowler. 3rd time is not a charm

Juan Pierre? He never had a season as good as he had with the Cubs 2006 by WAR the rest of his career. I thought of him as a mirage, he always looked better than he was.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
1-0. If it makes yall feel better, I beat the Dodgers on mlb2k16 5-1. Hammel went 9 IP with 11 K's. Seager got me in the 9th with a solo shot.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Don't really ever see the 4 hitter sacrificing to move 2 runners up for the 5 hitter..
That how hot Russell been..
But
Seeing that bat flying in the stands for first time in a while
Is that the end of the hot streak..
I think this run started after the last bat landed in seats?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings