Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 23 to 44 of 63

Thread: 5 yr plan

  1. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,493

    Default

    If you wanna say it is going to take the Bears 5 years because mgmt is inept, that is your opinion and it is valid I guess.

    If you wanna say that it is normal for a NFL team that hit rock bottom to take 5 years to rebuild - if that rebuild is done correctly, then I will say you are wrong.

  2. A message from our sponsors.


    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.


  3. #24
    Vagabond Wannabe iueyedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,796
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BearsFan51 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So one year and three preseason games into a rebuild is a good time to judge the final product, logic is strong with this OP.
    When Biff becomes the sobering voice of reason, you know CCS has entered it's event horizon.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iueyedoc For This Useful Post:


  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by didshereallysaythat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you wanna say it is going to take the Bears 5 years because mgmt is inept, that is your opinion and it is valid I guess.

    If you wanna say that it is normal for a NFL team that hit rock bottom to take 5 years to rebuild - if that rebuild is done correctly, then I will say you are wrong.
    we don't know if it's being done correctly.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ikkoikki View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    we don't know if it's being done correctly.
    That is an entirely different argument. My point is that if it was done correctly, it wouldn't take 5 years.

    If it isn't done correctly, it could take 100 years.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to didshereallysaythat For This Useful Post:


  8. #27
    Senior Member hester247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    336
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by didshereallysaythat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is an entirely different argument. My point is that if it was done correctly, it wouldn't take 5 years.

    If it isn't done correctly, it could take 100 years.
    that's all i am really saying is yes i fully can acknowledge that very well run organizations can turn around a football team in 2-3 yrs i honestly see nothing in Pace thats speaks to that ability..by the time his drafts start catching up then the free agents he has signed like McPhee, Trevathan, Freeman, Massie will be long in the tooth and need replacing as well. Yes alot has to do with Emery and lack of ability to hit on damn near anyone in 3 yrs outside of Long and Jeffrey. I mean for christ sake Cutler is gone next yr so now its rebuild again under a rookie QB and then try and rebuild the OL aroun Long, Grassu, and Whitehair because both bookend tackles need to be replaced. The TE position is an NFL embaressment. The RB position is nothing Special and Jeffrey by all accounts seems to want out (creating another hole)...its just seems like an endless hole of replacing talent

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hester247 For This Useful Post:


  10. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hester247 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that's all i am really saying is yes i fully can acknowledge that very well run organizations can turn around a football team in 2-3 yrs i honestly see nothing in Pace thats speaks to that ability..by the time his drafts start catching up then the free agents he has signed like McPhee, Trevathan, Freeman, Massie will be long in the tooth and need replacing as well. Yes alot has to do with Emery and lack of ability to hit on damn near anyone in 3 yrs outside of Long and Jeffrey. I mean for christ sake Cutler is gone next yr so now its rebuild again under a rookie QB and then try and rebuild the OL aroun Long, Grassu, and Whitehair because both bookend tackles need to be replaced. The TE position is an NFL embaressment. The RB position is nothing Special and Jeffrey by all accounts seems to want out (creating another hole)...its just seems like an endless hole of replacing talent
    Gotcha. I think it is a bit too early to tell but I understand your logic. As a fan, there really isn't any optimism that can be justified so far by results on the field.

  11. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by didshereallysaythat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is an entirely different argument. My point is that if it was done correctly, it wouldn't take 5 years.

    If it isn't done correctly, it could take 100 years.
    Does 'being done correctly' entail a best case scenario? Because I think it's far more likely for there to be hits and misses in the draft. Far more misses than hits.

    I know fans tend to think every draft pick made has potential and is likely to live up to that potential but...

  12. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ikkoikki View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does 'being done correctly' entail a best case scenario? Because I think it's far more likely for there to be hits and misses in the draft. Far more misses than hits.

    I know fans tend to think every draft pick made has potential and is likely to live up to that potential but...
    Not a best case scenario, but hitting on your top picks and finding contributors later in the draft. Seattle was probably a best case scenario rebuild FWIW.

  13. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Just when I thought shit couldn't get any dumber. No new GM would ever make it 5 years if they spent all of those years in "rebuild" mode. It normally takes 3 years at the most. 2 with a decent level of competency and some teams have turned things around in 1

  14. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    361
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    The CBA expires after the 2020/21 season if i'm not mistaken. Our goal should be to win at minimum 1 Super Bowl by then. Not get to, WIN.

  15. #33
    Senior Member bossfan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Posts
    134
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I thought the unofficial timeline from Pace's perspective was Year 1 get things in order, Year 2 compete for a WC spot, Year 3 compete for the Division. I forgot where I read this, but that seemed reasonable at the time. Football has more parity than any other sport. This isn't baseball or basketball where 5 years is an acceptable time period to turn around a team. Three years is plenty in the NFL.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to bossfan23 For This Useful Post:


  17. #34
    Senior Member hester247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    336
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bossfan23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought the unofficial timeline from Pace's perspective was Year 1 get things in order, Year 2 compete for a WC spot, Year 3 compete for the Division. I forgot where I read this, but that seemed reasonable at the time. Football has more parity than any other sport. This isn't baseball or basketball where 5 years is an acceptable time period to turn around a team. Three years is plenty in the NFL.
    So next season when they need to draft a QB draft a TE, LT, RT, 2 CBs a S.....What will the excuse be?.give them another yr..onto yr 4

  18. #35
    what the whaaaaat? xer0h0ur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    14,904
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Pace may be saying one thing but his actions clearly show his true intentions and that has nothing to do with being competitive for the division in 3 seasons from when he took over.

  19. #36
    Senior Member Newblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S.L.Ut
    Posts
    9,211
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xer0h0ur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pace may be saying one thing but his actions clearly show his true intentions and that has nothing to do with being competitive for the division in 3 seasons from when he took over.
    He has been here for 3 seasons? God damn, that nap I took must have been longer than I thought.

  20. #37
    Senior Member BEARZOMBIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,900
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hester247 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so uh...its now year 2 under Pace and this team looks worse than ever....5 yr rebuild is not as ridiculous as it sounded 2 yrs ago is it
    How old are you now? You have been this whiny and emo since the original cbmb. I would have thought some would have grown up by now.....

    Our team was old and void of talent. The teams you see with quick turnarounds wasn't a talent issue but coaching leadership for example the transition in San Fran from singletary to harbaugh. give it a chance everyone wanted a rebuild well this is the pain that goes with it. And of pace does his job right we will have something to enjoy in the long term and of not on to the next gm

  21. #38
    what the whaaaaat? xer0h0ur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    14,904
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newblood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has been here for 3 seasons? God damn, that nap I took must have been longer than I thought.
    Were also not going to compete for a wildcard spot this season either in year two. He will be lucky to be competing for the division in 4 years. This team has proven time and time again that we don't have the depth to withstand injuries. Even if Pace does a phenomenal job putting starters in place (of which I have my doubts) then he still wouldn't be able to have good enough backups to the starters either, by season 3. I am looking ahead. If you want to focus on the now that is all you.

  22. #39
    Senior Member Newblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S.L.Ut
    Posts
    9,211
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xer0h0ur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Were also not going to compete for a wildcard spot this season either in year two. He will be lucky to be competing for the division in 4 years. This team has proven time and time again that we don't have the depth to withstand injuries. Even if Pace does a phenomenal job putting starters in place (of which I have my doubts) then he still wouldn't be able to have good enough backups to the starters either, by season 3. I am looking ahead. If you want to focus on the now that is all you.
    No team in the NFL has solid backups in every position. Hell, not sure any team has solid backups in all key positions. Every year you see teams make the playoffs because they either, get healthy at the right time, or have a very good to elite QB that can mask the deficiencies of their roster.
    So if you are waiting for the day that Pace has quality backups at all the key positions, then sure, I will hop on your Pace is going to fail wagon.

  23. #40
    Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400 Gravis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,482
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hester247 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so uh...its now year 2 under Pace and this team looks worse than ever....5 yr rebuild is not as ridiculous as it sounded 2 yrs ago is it

  24. #41
    what the whaaaaat? xer0h0ur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    14,904
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newblood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No team in the NFL has solid backups in every position. Hell, not sure any team has solid backups in all key positions. Every year you see teams make the playoffs because they either, get healthy at the right time, or have a very good to elite QB that can mask the deficiencies of their roster.
    So if you are waiting for the day that Pace has quality backups at all the key positions, then sure, I will hop on your Pace is going to fail wagon.
    Can you knock it off with your strawmans already. I am not being unrealistic here. I am just asking for respectable starters and somewhat competent NFL caliber backups. Were not there on either front. Which is why I am saying its pathetic to believe we will be competing for a WC this year or for the Division next year. Is that so difficult for you to comprehend?

    Ryan is not on pace for his own bullshit plan. He is talking out of his ass.

  25. #42
    Senior Member Newblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S.L.Ut
    Posts
    9,211
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xer0h0ur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you knock it off with your strawmans already. I am not being unrealistic here. I am just asking for respectable starters and somewhat competent NFL caliber backups. Were not there on either front. Which is why I am saying its pathetic to believe we will be competing for a WC this year or for the Division next year. Is that so difficult for you to comprehend?

    Ryan is not on pace for his own bullshit plan. He is talking out of his ass.
    So you accuse me of strawmanning, Then respond to me about competing for a WC this year, when I didn't say anything about competing for anything this year? Mkay...

    I thought I responded to a post about Pace having quality depth to compete for the division in 4 years. Weird..

  26. #43
    what the whaaaaat? xer0h0ur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    14,904
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newblood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you accuse me of strawmanning, Then respond to me about competing for a WC this year, when I didn't say anything about competing for anything this year? Mkay...

    I thought I responded to a post about Pace having quality depth to compete for the division in 4 years. Weird..
    I am really trying hard to not lob insults at you right now. You're responding to me. Not me to you. I am clarifying what I am talking about. If you can't understand that then I am wasting time here.

  27. #44
    Senior Member Newblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S.L.Ut
    Posts
    9,211
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xer0h0ur View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am really trying hard to not lob insults at you right now. You're responding to me. Not me to you. I am clarifying what I am talking about. If you can't understand that then I am wasting time here.
    Lob away, I'd be interested to see what you have to say. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with your Pace expectations without flying off the handle, then so be it.

    Edit: Not to mention, my initial response was just giving you shit about saying Pace was here for 3 seasons (and that was all I commented on). Then you went off on me with some rant about competing for a WC this year and so on.

  28. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.



    Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •