Good Job White Sox management

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be fair, I must congratulate them when I agree with hard decisions, since I have been hard on them.

Rather then sell Sale low in the midst of controversy, or parlay Quintana into a windfall of probably mediocre talent 3 years from now with a small chance of hitting gold, the Sox had to spurn public pressure and sit tight.

But that makes this ship fixable in one off-seaosn. We are still 2-4 acquisitions from contention. A reliever, a premium ower lefty at third or left field, a hitting catcher, or 2B or another reliever and I think one more winning pitcher would stack the deck. Rodon is a great #3, Shields as #4 is workable, a 5th pitcher would give the White Sox a chance to win everyday and challenge for the playoffs, but this offense is anemic.

The thing is that isn't a ridiculous shopping list. If we had prospects instead of Sale/Quintanna/Abreu I wouldn't be optimistic.

Lightning in a bottle isn't that far fetched with this starting pitching staff if they got hot like 2005, and were in a wild card playoff.

Its all but done this year, though we may have one final chance at a push if we finished the season as hot as we started.

But I don't think the answer is to blow this up, its to build around the young premium pieces another season or two, and only trade those 3 + Rodon if they fail again next season. Our chances are too high to just blow it up and rebuild indefineitely. We don't lose value on those players by waiting.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fuck the Bears, let's talk about the White Sox.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
my bad, I don't know how that happened. :)

too many open windows, but if a mod would kindly move.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I am going to connect this to the Bears for you. If the Bears had focused like a laser on building and maintaining a top notch oline just like if the Sox had done the same with getting the best possible leadoff men table setters and even a ninth place hitter second leadoff man type as well both teams would have spent a lot more time in the playoffs than they have the last few decades. The Sox only got to the World Series when both times they had the best leadoff man in the game of their time Pods and Little Louie. They should have made the WS in 1983 with Rudy Law Julio Cruz and their 99 wins.

The good news for the Sox is that this team when motivated like they were early in the year can be very compettive. However the emotional juice from the LaRoche episode eventually faded and demoralization set in. Replace Robin with Ozzie and things might turn around real fast.