Bears-Chiefs Thoughts

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post

I will have a more detailed write up tomorrow.

But this is what a 2-14, 4-12 team looks like. The Bears are incredibly young, they are incredibly light on impact players, and they are light on depth.

Fox and Pace can say they are not rebuilding, but that is what they are doing. As Sparrow said, watch the young guys develop, enjoy having more competent and competitive veterans like Hicks and Trevathan and watch the Bears take another step.

The Emery/Trestman era did way more damage than many of us wanted to admit. Terrible drafts that only ever yielded 1-2 players. Free agents who were signed cheap because they were psychopaths (Marshall and Bennett) or over rated (Houston, Allen).

Sure, Emery did some damage. However, Marshall and Bennett are not "psychopaths" nor over-rated(Houston). And Pace has not improved this football team. He has drastically weakened the offense. I predict that this team will score the least points in the NFL and that the team will implode totally by mid-season.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
This statement is beyond ridiculous. Even if by some stroke of good fortune the Bears manage to go 8-8 this season, they will have to perform markedly better than they did against KC. I'm not sure what aspect of the Bears game leads you to believe the Bears will win 8 games in 2016. If the Bears were what an 8-8 team looks like, are you predicting the Chiefs to go 16-0 this year?

Depends on if the Chiefs are only facing 8-8 teams this season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This statement is beyond ridiculous. Even if by some stroke of good fortune the Bears manage to go 8-8 this season, they will have to perform markedly better than they did against KC. I'm not sure what aspect of the Bears game leads you to believe the Bears will win 8 games in 2016. If the Bears were what an 8-8 team looks like, are you predicting the Chiefs to go 16-0 this year?

I think you are reading too much into one game.

They played like crap against the Chiefs. If they play like they did against the Patriots, I think they can be an 8-8 team, 7-9 more likely with health concerns.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you are reading too much into one game.

They played like crap against the Chiefs. If they play like they did against the Patriots, I think they can be an 8-8 team, 7-9 more likely with health concerns.

LOL.

1. Irony.

2. They also played like shit against the Broncos. So it's not just "1 game"

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL.

1. Irony.

2. They also played like shit against the Broncos. So it's not just "1 game"

It is preseason.

There will be improvements in the season as the coaches will have more of an impact on the games. Limited game plans and limited play books.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is preseason.

There will be improvements in the season as the coaches will have more of an impact on the games. Limited game plans and limited play books.

"If they play like they did against the Patriots, I think they can be an 8-8 team, 7-9 more likely with health concerns."

Pick a lane.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I learned today on CCS:

You can't read too much into one preseason game by the Bears unless it was the Patriots game.

On top of this improvements will happen in the season as coaches game plan more but ignore the "dress rehearsal" 3rd preseason abomination by the Bears because they played well against the Patriots.

Good talk.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Windy needs more coffee this morning.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

If the Bears play like they did against KC for the entire year, they might go 0-16.

Projecting 7-9 or 8-8 with what is on the roster is not that unreasonable considering what their record was last year and the schedule they had. If the schedule does indeed map out this year to the 2nd easiest, 8-8 is obtainable.

You have to remember that 16 games seems short right now when you are in the dog days of baseball, but it really is a LONG season for football players. There are so many instances where teams start off looking like ass and then rebound and become respectable. It happens every year. The Bears are not as bad as they have shown vs the Broncos and Chiefs IMO. Not even close.

If someone wants to say that they are going to go 2-14, I am not going to say shit because so far they have looked like ass. They have to play better to be better. But at the same time, I am not going to dig into someones fair assessment of his projection on how the team will actually play for the majority of the season.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears play like they did against KC for the entire year, they might go 0-16.

Projecting 7-9 or 8-8 with what is on the roster is not that unreasonable considering what their record was last year and the schedule they had. If the schedule does indeed map out this year to the 2nd easiest, 8-8 is obtainable.

You have to remember that 16 games seems short right now when you are in the dog days of baseball, but it really is a LONG season for football players. There are so many instances where teams start off looking like ass and then rebound and become respectable. It happens every year. The Bears are not as bad as they have shown vs the Broncos and Chiefs IMO. Not even close.

If someone wants to say that they are going to go 2-14, I am not going to say shit because so far they have looked like ass. They have to play better to be better. But at the same time, I am not going to dig into someones fair assessment of his projection on how the team will actually play for the majority of the season.

My issue with Windy's statement is that he's saying it's an overreaction to one game. That's not really true. The Bears starters have looked like ass for two of the three games this preseason and Windy's rationalization for 8-8 is an "overreaction" to one game vs the Patriots. His reasoning for his 8-8 flies in complete contradiction to his issue with someone saying the Bears will suck.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:

People are forgetting about injuries. Injuries happen every year to every team.

This team already has a ton. I see this team as a 6 win team as of today. If injuries happen to key positions, they are fucked. There is simply no depth.

Imagine a key injury at TE or CB or even Cutler (which happens every year). That could end them up with one of the worst records in the NFL.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My issue with Windy's statement is that he's saying it's an overreaction to one game. That's not really true. The Bears starters have looked like ass for two of the three games this preseason and Windy's rationalization for 8-8 is an "overreaction" to one game vs the Patriots. His reasoning for his 8-8 flies in complete contradiction to his issue with someone saying the Bears will suck.

I think based on what we have seen in the preseason the Bears are probably a 6-10 team.

I think with the some regular season improvements, praticularly in coaching and game plans, the Bears could be 8-8, more than likely 7-9 with injuries.

Part of that is also based on the fact that they played 3 playoff teams in the Preseason and in the regular season they have some far more winnable games than KC.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
People are forgetting about injuries. Injuries happen every year to every team.

This team already has a ton. I see this team as a 6 win team as of today. If injuries happen to key positions, they are fucked. There is simply no depth.

Imagine a key injury at TE or CB or even Cutler (which happens every year). That could end them up with one of the worst records in the NFL.

6 wins would not shock me at all. My guess is they will not play as bad as they did against KC all season, but if a couple guys on the OL get injured this could go sideways pretty quick.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think based on what we have seen in the preseason the Bears are probably a 6-10 team.

Now I'm just confused.

"This is what an 8-8 team looks like" to now you think they are 6-10 based on what we have seen.

FWIW I don't think the schedule is as easy as people say it is.

Monster

Liked Posts:
They will pull out just enough wins to miss a top 5 pick.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That is fair. That is why they play the games.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think with the some regular season improvements, praticularly in coaching and game plans, the Bears could be 8-8, more than likely 7-9 with injuries.

Part of that is also based on the fact that they played 3 playoff teams in the Preseason and in the regular season they have some far more winnable games than KC.

Couple that with the fact the Bears are playing at least 2 teams with awful QB's this season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Some Chiefs @ Bears Thoughts

1. Cornelius Edison is a powerful guy and he is a stout pass blocker. Where I thought that he struggled was getting to the ILBs on the outside runs, which is a problem if the Bears want to be a zone run team. He also missed some stunts and blitzs, which should clean up with more experience. A serious conversation needs to be had about starting him a C and letting him grow.

2. Ted Larsen may be worse at OG than he is a C. In New England I thought that he was okay at C, but I did not like what I saw at OG as much this week.

3. The backup OL has 2 guys who are not terrible. Gary Williams and Jason Weaver have been solid, but the rest of them are terrible.

4. There are plays where Cody Whitehair gets physically overwhelmed, but there are far more plays where his athletic ability and solid base make him steady and solid.

5. Jeremy Langford did not have a lot to work with. I liked his vision and he continued to show that he can find the right hole in the zone run game. Langford has had a very vanilla play package and we have not see him incorporated into the passing, screen, or draw game very often.

6. It is hard not to like Ka'deem Carey. That dude runs hard.

7. Would not be shocked if Jordan Howard is stealing carries from people early in the season. He has really good vision and he has a ton of size coming through the hall. The zone run wants to get the RB to the 2nd level clean. When you get 230lbs of Howard to the 2nd level clean and quick he can do some damage.

8. Alshon looked like a veteran who was done with the preseason, which is fine.

9. There is no way to look at Kevin White and not be disappointed with the pre season. I am in no way giving up on White, but it is clear that he is going to need more time to become and NFL WR.

10. Dowell Loggains play calling was painful.

11. The DL is really good. Hicks and Goldman destroy things, and when they get Bullard going in 1 on 1s because of the big boys beside him it could really be a dynamic group.

12. Unrien has a place, but he needs to play fewer reps.

13. Cross your fingers and hope Cornelius Washington stays healthy. When he is on he is looking like a potential difference maker. His ability to rush from the inside could be a real weapon in the rotation.

14. Lamaar Houston blew contain so many times it was difficult to count.

15. Pernell McPhee is not going to play the first 6 weeks of the season. It is so important for Houston and Young to start the season where they left off last season.

16. Deinodre Hall is going to need to play this season. Between Fuller and Porter's health how can anyone expect them to both play 16 games. Hall needs to stop letting WRs by him and then hoping to recover. He has good moments, but the bad are really bad like the 58 yarder.

17. Chris Prosinski got abused.

18. Jacoby Glenn, I am starting to see why they are starting him with the injuries.

19. HJQ looked good. He was active and physical and looks like he continues to grow into the SS role.

Bort

Liked Posts:
18. Jacoby Glenn, I am starting to see why they are starting him with the injuries.

19. HJQ looked good. He was active and physical and looks like he continues to grow into the SS role.

Glenn has played well in all 3 preseason games against starters. I'm starting to think we may have found an UDFA diamond in the rough.

I actually had the opposite impression of HJQ.... I thought he looked soft. Then again, I was just casually watching the game while dicking around on the internet, not watching intently.