Bears-Chiefs Thoughts

Nick80

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;VuAZTWGfQTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuAZTWGfQTs[/video]

Edit:

I wanted to edit this because well, this is how we all really feel after what we witnessed!

Last edited:

Nick80

Liked Posts:
I thought the WRs that played after Alshon and White all made a case for themselves and just because Royal has a cap hit shouldn't mean his place in the team should be a given. He has done nothing this offseason.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I thought the WRs that played after Alshon and White all made a case for themselves and just because Royal has a cap hit shouldn't mean his place in the team should be a given. He has done nothing this offseason.

White and Jeffery looked like bozos. Shaw had the backups rolling for a bit.

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
Obi-won Ken-obi can't even help this.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right now they're looking like a team that will struggle to break .500.

AussieBear

I'm not going to waste my time with specific thoughts on the game, because it just causes angst with the CCS posters and then I'm lectured by people who say that the preseason is just like the pro bowl.

Everything I said prior to the Chiefs game came to fruition...Fox's OC choice was/is no different than Lovie's OC merry-go-round, with the added caveat that Loggains was "Cutler's guy", much like Jeremy Bates. Bears picked up zero impact players through FA. Lack of talent at the skill positions is a problem. Bears secondary is a mess and should have been addressed during the FA period. But we all can see this with our own eyes, so there is no sense in discussing this.

Here are three thoughts that haven't really been brought up by the media (to my knowledge):

1) Dowell Loggains isn't really the problem. The offense is going to suck this year. Much will be made about the regression of going from Gase at OC to Loggains at OC. I thought a well-connected HC like Fox should have made a stronger hire at the OC position, but regardless the Bears are really lacking talent on offense. The OL is still a disaster. Langford has distinguished himself at RB because the other two RBs are completely unimpressive. TE is not good. Kevin White has mastered the 3-yard catch (perhaps Eddie Royal is mentoring him). Cutler is still around. And the "don't ask, don't tell" aspect is that there is a very high chance that Alshon Jeffery will not be a Bear in 2017.

2) Even the best of the Bears' young players will have 'growing pains'. I think Goldman is nearly a finished product. He is very good. I like what I see in Whitehair and Bullard, but they are going to be 'tricked' by NFL vets their rookie years. Floyd and White will have learning curves despite their physical talent. Basically, other than Goldman, who has a full year of starting under his belt, I see all of the other young players of the Bears as being liabilities in some sense. None of them have surpassing physical ability or a 'maturity greater than their years'.

3) The veterans on the Bears, including the offseason FA signings, just aren't that "good". With so many young players, the Bears need the veterans to make plays. They don't appear to have that ability. Freeman, Trevathan & Hicks all look to be competent NFL starters, which is an improvement, but none of them appear to be 'impact players'. Massie and Larsen are nominal starters. Tracy Porter is surprisingly back. For all the talk about the Bears' revamped defense, I think its a bad sign when Willie Young is still your biggest playmaker.

nah dem bears is gunna prove u wrong boi.. but well witten .. well thought out.. n a safe consurvative realist position

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The offensive line didnt get anyone murdered, so that is a plus. They didnt open many holes in the run game, but whatever.

White looks sloppy, and Him and Jay must not have a ton of chemistry. I dont recall Jay looking Whites way too often. I do want to go back and watch the pass plays to see if Jay even scanned for him.

The AJ drop- bad, but it happens. not too worried about it.

I had a really hard time reading the defense- Hicks looked good a couple times. The d had a couple good stops, But Kansas is pretty damn conservative on o- Opting for a field goal over a td is common. I am a little worried that a more aggressive d will shred them. I guess we will see come week one if they were good stops or if they were just KC trying to run the clock and leave the game healthy.
My big concern was lack of containment- Those 2 big smith runs were way too easy for him. I hope that does not continue to be an issue- Both Rodgers and Bridgewater are perfectly capable of sneaking out the same way and extending drives.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Uh, pretty much what Novak said. There wasn't much to be pleased about in that game.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The worst thing about the other day was that I walked away from the 3rd preseason game "the dress rehearsal" with virtually no take aways other than two. It was such a bland uninspiring performance. As much as nothing really went "right" not a ton went "wrong" either. It was just a listless pointless game.

Two takeways:

-Deiondre Hall looked great in the 1st half against starters. Against backups he looked like a rookie. Not sure if it was concentration or focus issues and mentally letting up or what but pretty confusing.

-The Connor Shaw injury really sucks.

Other than that....I got nothing else for this game.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The worst thing about the other day was that I walked away from the 3rd preseason game "the dress rehearsal" with virtually no take aways other than two. It was such a bland uninspiring performance. As much as nothing really went "right" not a ton went "wrong" either. It was just a listless pointless game.

Two takeways:

-Deiondre Hall looked great in the 1st half against starters. Against backups he looked like a rookie. Not sure if it was concentration or focus issues and mentally letting up or what but pretty confusing.

-The Connor Shaw injury really sucks.

Other than that....I got nothing else for this game.

Didn't catch it, did Porter play one side or did they shadow receivers?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't catch it, did Porter play one side or did they shadow receivers?

I'd have to go back and re-watch to double check...please don't make me do this, but I'm pretty sure they had Porter playing to the field side and Hall playing to the boundary side, but that's a guess based on my fuzzy recollection of that shit show of a game.

WR shadowing didn't stand out if it was happening.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
First Team Offense - absolute garbage. Langford has 2.8 YPC with KC missing their two best players. Entire offense was dreadful.

WR - embarrassing. Alshon had his typical 'uninterested' vibe. Dropped what would have been a 30 years plus reception. Cutler's numbers were bad, but they would have been serviceable if his WR could catch. Remember, Alshon showed us this before. 2014 - 4 games left with Marshall out. Alshon could have stepped up and gotten himself paid. Instead, he ran lazy routes and dropped balls. Kevin White has been an embarrassment. That's two big drops in two straight games and more importantly, he's invisible. That's telling me he's not separating on routes. Either way, it's bad. TE is a open hole.

Cutler - seems to have regressed. Of note, he still can't read pressure and get rid of the ball. With this terrible OL, that will mean a lot of common Cutler Sack Fumble.

Defense - no real pressure all game. A nice play by Hicks on one and a nice hit by Freeman on the other, but for the most part, KC marched up and down the field. Very high 3rd down conversion % and I recall many 3rd and long conversions. Their contain with a mobile QB was awful. Secondary is going to be a nightmare.

Coaching - that's on Fox. His team looked completely disinterested. Reid's didn't Although Reid throwing a challenge flag with 5 minutes left in a blowout game in pre-season? Really, Chumley?

Gould - yet another missed FG. Has been a problem for the last 2 seasons and looks like it may continue.

Back Up QB - Shaw flashed against scrubs, but that's a dead story. Hoyer has been abysmal. Don't know why Fales couldn't get in. The Bears will be bad with Cutler. They'll be abysmal if (and when) Cutler goes down. Hoyer has been epically bad.

Everyone else - who really cares. The NFL is a league made of difference makers. Look around at the top teams. They all feature difference makers on one or both sides of the ball. The Bears have none. Alshon deserves no anointing. I'm not even sure he's a #1. He hasn't proved it. No difference makers on D.

This team, year in and year out, is the definition of mediocre. That's what they be for sure, but I'm more inclined to say 'very bad'. The starters lack difference making ability and more important, are hurt. The team is horribly lacking on depth. Any injury is disastrous. But, injures WILL happen. As such, I'm saying this is a 5-6 win team with yet another season looking up at GB at the top of the division.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I'd have to go back and re-watch to double check...please don't make me do this, but I'm pretty sure they had Porter playing to the field side and Hall playing to the boundary side, but that's a guess based on my fuzzy recollection of that shit show of a game.

WR shadowing didn't stand out if it was happening.

I'll look at some more highlights. I saw one of Porter playing left side of field. I'm worried Hall/Bausby or Callahan will be lined up on Hopkins

Nick80

Liked Posts:
That Gould mention, it's a concern, maybe getting a bit long in the tooth. What a servent though to the Bears.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The Bears went 1-7 at home last year and 5-3 on the road. So far in preseason, they had 2 horrible performances at home and 1 decent performance on the road vs the best team in the NFL.

What gives?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
WR - embarrassing. Alshon had his typical 'uninterested' vibe. Dropped what would have been a 30 years plus reception. Cutler's numbers were bad, but they would have been serviceable if his WR could catch. Remember, Alshon showed us this before. 2014 - 4 games left with Marshall out. Alshon could have stepped up and gotten himself paid. Instead, he ran lazy routes and dropped balls. Kevin White has been an embarrassment. That's two big drops in two straight games and more importantly, he's invisible. That's telling me he's not separating on routes. Either way, it's bad. TE is a open hole.

Agreed. Alshon had that "no fucks given" vibe all game. The drop was horrendous, what was even worse was Miller's commentary of it acting as though it was a difficult catch. His "drop" of the low and outside throw by Cutler was marginal, that's a crazy tough catch and arguably a ball that shouldn't have been thrown but go back and look at the play, Jeffery's route is fucking horrible and he's clearly jogging on it and not giving a shit.