Liked Posts:
@AdamHoge: Interesting quote from Willie Young on Pernell McPhee:

CrDBsk-WcAAs64h.jpg:large

Last edited by a moderator:

hester247

Liked Posts:
@AdamHoge: Interesting quote from Willie Young on Pernell McPhee:

CrDBsk-WcAAs64h.jpg:large

I would bet a large sum of money that he had micro fracture surgery done on that knee and that's why its taking so long to recover...Simple arthroscopic cleanup does not take this long..my bet is he misses at least first 6 games..that would be an additional 7-8 weeks of recovery

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Damn.

Makes sense tho, at this point it was a fuck up move on pace. Everyone knew about the dudes knee problems

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Damn.

Makes sense tho, at this point it was a fuck up move on pace. Everyone knew about the dudes knee problems

We didn't know, the media didn't know, Ravens fans didn't know. I guess the Ravens knew, maybe that's why they let him go. It is 100% on the Bears to know about these things. If this is another Pace fuck up, we might be approaching billboard time.

From March 2015:
"McPhee had 64 quarterback pressures last season and 24 quarterback hits last season. A fifth-round draft pick in 2011 out of Mississippi State, the 6-foot-3, 280-pound McPhee remained healthy all year, unlike previous seasons when he dealt with knee and shoulder problems. McPhee previously had knee surgeries and groin surgery.

McPhee emphasized that his knees and shoulders are feeling good, saying: "God done touched 'em."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-joining-bears-on-nearly-40-million-deal-exraven-pernell-mcphee-says-he-plays-violently-20150311-story.html

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
We didn't know, the media didn't know, Ravens fans didn't know. I guess the Ravens knew, maybe that's why they let him go. It is 100% on the Bears to know about these things. If this is another Pace fuck up, we might be approaching billboard time.

From March 2015:
"McPhee had 64 quarterback pressures last season and 24 quarterback hits last season. A fifth-round draft pick in 2011 out of Mississippi State, the 6-foot-3, 280-pound McPhee remained healthy all year, unlike previous seasons when he dealt with knee and shoulder problems. McPhee previously had knee surgeries and groin surgery.

McPhee emphasized that his knees and shoulders are feeling good, saying: "God done touched 'em."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-joining-bears-on-nearly-40-million-deal-exraven-pernell-mcphee-says-he-plays-violently-20150311-story.html

I remember on this board people posting likes to ravens fans thoughts and many said they knew he had some real knee problems and would miss the guy, but his body isn't holding up.

They were right.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Damn.

Common dialogue with Pace..."everbody knew"....

Everybody knew Miller is an injury risk yet he let Bennett go. Everybody knew the Oline depth and talent wasn't good yet he let Slauson go. Everybody knew this offense was generated by Forte yet he let him go. Everybody knew Marshall was the best WR ever in a Bears uni yet he let him go.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

Everybody knew Miller is an injury risk yet he let Bennett go. Everybody knew the Oline depth and talent wasn't good yet he let Slauson go. Everybody knew this offense was generated by Forte yet he let him go. Everybody knew Marshall was the best WR ever in a Bears uni yet he let him go.

Hard to argue with that.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
It was a bad signing for the Bears if he does not get back to playing at a high level and staying healthy. As of right now and even when he was signed and read about the knees, I didn't think it was smart to sign him. Pace has not been good in free agency so far. Drafts have been good but free agency, not so much (Though most teams miss in free agency, that's why even Pace mentioned he would not like to go that route - was kind of forced to).

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
It was a bad signing for the Bears if he does not get back to playing at a high level and staying healthy. As of right now and even when he was signed and read about the knees, I didn't think it was smart to sign him. Pace has not been good in free agency so far. Drafts have been good but free agency, not so much (Though most teams miss in free agency, that's why even Pace mentioned he would not like to go that route - was kind of forced to).

And that's the bigger point. Free agency is more often then not fools gold. McPhee was a calculated risk. The knee could have held up for a few years. There is no crystal ball with these things. McPhee gets about $7.5 mil a year. If he stays healthy he's a bargain. If not it's not a contract that kills you or keeps you from making other moves. There's almost always a reason a good young player becomes a free agent.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Everyone knows Marshall and Bennett are head cases. Everyone knows Forte is old. Everyone knows Slauson isn't a mobile enough to place in a ZBS.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I would be hopping in my car right now and driving to Halas Hall and going "Jay Ratliff" if Ryan Pace had signed Pernell McPhee to a contract that killed the team or kept the team from making other moves. At what point do we raise the bar with Pace and quit praising him for not immediately running the franchise into the ground?

McPhee at $7.5M/year is not a 'bargain', its a significant contract for a guy who was a situational player in Baltimore. Pace paid $15.5M for 8 very good games from McPhee...thats a TERRIBLE signing. Jared Allen-level bad. If the Bears were actually trying to be competitive, then it would be a significant screw-up. But since the Bears are in perpetual 'rebuild' under Pace, no one bats an eye even if a top10 pick has 3 preseason catches for 9 yards in two years.

Mcphee played 14 games last year. And I said if he stays healthy he's a bargain at that salary. This is all just educated gambling. There are no sure things. The only reason McPhee is available is the injury issues. So you take a calculated risk.

And perpetual rebuild? I love how you talk like Pace has been here for 10 years. One regular season. 16 games. Coming off the most disastrous season this franchise has had since the 70s. That's it. Your lack of patience is staggering.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Writing was on the wall when they drafted Floyd.....they knew something was up. Shame, really had high hopes for McPhee....not over yet but certainly not off to a good start

Payton!34

Liked Posts:

Great point that I have been saying all along is the real problem. It's not any one dumb move, it's that Pace hasn't learned his lesson and continues to make the same mistake.

He doesn't make sure that he has someone on the team that can fill these voids and even if you do, an injury will derail the point he was trying to make.

All these moves were also at a time when we were in very good cap shape.

These moves wreak of Pace wanting none of the success to come from pieces that were there before him. His ego is getting in the way of early success.

Think about it, why draft White when you have both Marshall and Jeffery? I know, he's a head case. What the hell do you pay head coaches for if they can't players in line. Pace could have drafted something else of need as wide receiver was loaded at the time.

I understand wanting to be a more defensive team but why shred the offense of talent of every key position other than quarterback.

Pace also hired John fox who is a safe pick but he's not the young innovative boom or bust coach that could win us a possible super bowl and or be here for twenty plus years.

I am not at all impressed with him so far. Everyone is calling his drafts a success in a real short period of time. I'm the opposite, give it time. The funny thing is that the draft picks with the biggest question marks are out two first round picks. That's scary! They may end up being stars but we just don't know yet.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
-Pernell McPhee is not going to play the first 6 games of the season. Take it to the bank, all of these PUP stories 5 days before the deadline tells you everything you need to know.

-Luckily the Bears deepest position it OLB.

-If he does not come back then the ears sent 15.5 million for his services. That is a lot, but add in the culture change and I think his impact on the team has been about more than just stats.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
-Pernell McPhee is not going to play the first 6 games of the season. Take it to the bank, all of these PUP stories 5 days before the deadline tells you everything you need to know.

-If he does not come back then the ears sent 15.5 million for his services. That is a lot, but add in the culture change and I think his impact on the team has been about more than just stats.

Maybe I've completely missed it but how does Pace's main free agent signing getting too fat to play football and having injury issues help the culture? Did I miss the McPhee Mentoring stories from last year or just forget them?

What is this based on?

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe I've completely missed it but how does Pace's main free agent signing getting too fat to play football and having injury issues help the culture? Did I miss the McPhee Mentoring stories from last year or just forget them?

What is this based on?

Simply because he said he hates the Packers and he plays "violent."

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I kind of disagree in that I do not think that he had good drafts in that their two top picks have yet to play. The top draft picks pretty much define how drafts are rated and thus far, admittedly with only three pre-season games to consider, I would give Pace no more than a "C' rating in his drafts. In free agency, I'd give Pace a "B-" in that I think that he signed a couple of very solid defensive players and a pretty good offensive tackle in Massie.

Where I give him a "D" or even lower is on his trades where he really gave up too much and got nothing in return.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Staleys View Post

Everyone knows Marshall and Bennett are head cases. Everyone knows Forte is old. Everyone knows Slauson isn't a mobile enough to place in a ZBS.

Not everyone "knows" and I will take your HEAD CASES over anyone on the Bears that plays the same positions. As for Forte, he will outgain the top two Bear's running backs. As for Slauson, he will be much better than whoever ends up as the Bear's center.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think that a whole lot of Pace's reputation is on the line regarding Floyd and White. They had better be successful or else pretty much because both of them were reaches at where they were drafted.