Looking to the offseason waaaay to early...

Goose22

Liked Posts:
I may be stating the obvious, but I think the FIRST priority for the front office is to find a way to re-sign Dexter Fowler. In my opinion, he is a must sign in the offseason. Fowler has been THE KEY in our offensive lineup this season and he is a great piece in our defensive alignment allowing Madden to place pieces to his puzzle around Fowler in the outfield. I know many will be crying for the front office to make a deal to keep Arietta in the off season, but IMHO, Fowler is a must sign...even given the depth of young players that can play the outfield. Thoughts?

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I love Dexter this year, he's been great but let's be real.

1. He's going to be 31 at the START of next year
2. He's a guy who misses games quite often (only played above 140 twice, only 150 once)
3. He's going to command a fairly decent amount of money
4. When you have Schwarber next year, you basically have to make either him, Fowler, Heyward, or Baez a part-time player
5. You can likely replace everything Fowler's given you with Schwarber/Almora as a platoon next year at literally less than 10% of the cost of Fowler
6. You're only two years away from Arrieta either getting a new deal or signing someone to a similarly large deal to replace Jake
7. While they'll be not full-boat level FA, it's going to be quite a bit of money to Russell/Bryant in a few years when they're in arbitration

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Bryant is going to be a Super 2 guy and Russell likely is so they'll be arb eligible after 2017. I can't see inking Fowler although I get that the production at lead off could be hard to replace. That's really the only place you'll miss him though as the lineup improves with Schwarber and all the young guys a year older. Plus I fully expect Heyward to bounce back.