botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leonard Floyd proving he can play well against run despite weight

1100x619

Rich CampbellContact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

When the Bears traded up to draft linebacker Leonard Floyd ninth overall in April, general manager Ryan Pace insisted he would be a capable run defender because of his long arms. Despite Floyd's relatively light weight — about 235 pounds — he can extend and avoid getting wired to blocks, Pace said then.

Throughout the summer, Floyd repeatedly has proven Pace right. Although the speed pass rush Floyd was known for in college did not surface in exhibition games, Floyd has shown he can defend the run.

That was again the case Thursday night in the 21-7 victory over the Browns in the exhibition finale. On second-and-goal from the Bears' 1-yard line, Browns running back Isaiah Crowell tried to score around the left end, which was Floyd's side.

But Floyd set the edge against second-string tackle Dan France and helped string the play out for a loss of 3.

"It's all about technique," Floyd said. "It's getting your inside foot down so you can set the edge and things like that. I've felt confident in that area."

Floyd played the first five series before being poked in the eye. The equipment staff fitted his helmet with a visor shield and he returned to action in the third quarter.

Night off: As expected, coach John Fox rested most of the Bears' first stringers. Eighteen healthy players attended the game but only watched after doing conditioning work on the field about two hours before kickoff.

On offense, quarterback Jay Cutler sat out. So did running back Jeremy Langford; receivers Alshon Jeffery, Eddie Royal and Marc Mariani; tight end Zach Miller; offensive linemen Charles Leno, Cody Whitehair, Ted Larsen and Bobby Massie.

From the defense, linemen Akiem Hicks, Eddie Goldman and Mitch Unrein sat out, as did outside linebackers Willie Young and Lamarr Houston, inside linebacker Jerrell Freeman; and safeties Harold Jones-Quartey and Adrian Amos.

Receiver Kevin White was the only projected starter who played.

A handful of injured players did not travel to Cleveland, including right guard Kyle Long, inside linebacker Danny Trevathan and cornerbacks Tracy Porter and Kyle Fuller.

Making case: Cornerback Jacoby Glenn made his case for Saturday's 53-man roster by picking off Browns quarterback Josh McCown in the second quarter.

Defensive lineman Will Sutton disrupted McCown's footwork with a late surge into the pocket and McCown floated a ball toward the sideline that Glenn undercut. Later in the first half, though, Glenn was flagged for pass interference.

Hoyer fine: Second-string quarterback Brian Hoyer played the first half before yielding to David Fales. Hoyer finished a rocky preseason by completing 12 of 16 passes for 112 yards. He also lofted a fade to White in the end zone that netted a 26-yard pass-interference penalty that set up Ka'Deem Carey's 1-yard touchdown plunge.

"Improvement upon the last few weeks," Hoyer said. "There was rhythm, and we were able to hit some good throws."

Hoyer was sacked twice behind the Bears' second-string offensive line.

Washington hurt: Defensive end Cornelius Washington left the game in the first half with a left knee injury. He remained on the sideline with his helmet into the third quarter.

Washington has played well during the preseason, making a convincing push for the roster, but he continues to be dogged by durability questions.

Scar tissue: Former Bears receiver Brandon Marshall believes his desire to appear regularly on Showtime's "Inside the NFL" contributed to the new regime's decision to trade him in 2015, he told MMQB.com Thursday.

As the former Pro Bowler described it, Pace insisted Marshall limit his appearances on the show to the offseason. It would have been a departure from his weekly appearances during the season in 2014 under then-general manager Phil Emery.

That year, which ended with Emery and coach Marc Trestman being fired, Marshall would fly round-trip to New York for filming on Tuesdays, which were off days for players.

"Right then, I knew I wouldn't be a Bear anymore," Marshall told the site, "because I think that the business of the NFL is growing every single day, and players are being told to stay in a box and just play football. We're missing out on a lot of opportunities, not only to grow as men and businessmen but to experience different things."

Marshall was traded for a fifth-round draft pick to the Jets, who allow him to appear on the show.

The Bears' new regime concluded his priorities and personality didn't match what they were trying to build. The show was just one piece of evidence. But Marshall, who fancied himself a team leader, never publicly took responsibility for his role in the team's free fall in 2014. Marshall went on a tirade in the locker room after an October loss to the Dolphins. He finished the 5-11 campaign on injured reserve with a collapsed lung.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...floyd-bits-bears-spt-0902-20160901-story.html

Nick80

Liked Posts:
Though he showed some good things against the Browns the other night, it was positive to watch. Hopefully he continues to improve. Thanks for the article.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has he really played that well though? He's been ok going against backups

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
I knew he would be fine against the run what surprised me was his ability in coverage

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I knew he would be fine against the run what surprised me was his ability in coverage

His ability in coverage has been highlighted since he was drafted. Floyd covered slot receivers in college he was asked to play like a safety at times. He has the athletic ability.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
His ability in coverage has been highlighted since he was drafted. Floyd covered slot receivers in college he was asked to play like a safety at times. He has the athletic ability.
well college and pro are two different speeds so for him to be able to adjust to nfl speed in coverage is my point

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Hopefully he gets on the same diet plan as Clay Matthews.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Hopefully he gets on the same diet plan as Clay Matthews.
I don't know if that's the best thing for him and mean look at clay....

th
I don't think we need any girley men here. plus don't need al Jazeera snooping bullshit about our players

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Floyd is going to be a goddamn stud.

I sure hope so! I've heard so many people so he's gonna be a bust and would love to see him prove everybody wrong.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I sure hope so! I've heard so many people so he's gonna be a bust and would love to see him prove everybody wrong.

"Everybody" won't be proven wrong. The only place I've read about Floyd being a "bust" is right here. There are a few here that didn't like the pick. Some, legitimately, thought there were better options at that pick but that's not necessarily calling him a bust. Other, also legitimately, believe that he was drafted too high due in large part because of his build. The ones calling him a bust just to call him a bust are just haters. You can dislike the pick or disagree with the pick and not consider it a "bust". A "bust" is he won't be on the team in two years due to ability or maturity issues. Neither of those are likely. Calling him a bust at this point is just plain silly if not downright ignorant.