Bears get first chance to sign Josh Sitton

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you guys think cutting Slauson was a good idea? Is it that we all know it was Special person and you're just sick of hearing about it?

I'm trying to figure out if anyone thinks it was a shrewd move.

I don't think anyone thought it was a good move...I didn't, but with the non-stop crying you'd think he was HOF.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Sitton has never played a down at center according to his ProFootballReference bio. This move would seem to be a move that would have the Bears putting Whitehair at center and then having him covered by two Pro Bowl guards. You don't want center as your weak point, but it sure would help to have two stout men on either side of him to balance the line out.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I can't see them starting a rookie guard at center. Think that's the least likely of the three options.

Madden

Liked Posts:
I hope Pace can pull this off and sign him. There will be injuries to the OL at some point. We need the depth badly or else the line will go to shit when the injuries hit.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Add more talent. Positions will sort themselves out.

Whitehair at C is probably best.

Sitton would help Whitehair and Leno if he was at LG.

Would be a STEEP learning curve! Judging by the snaps he took at center against the Broncos anyway.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:

I'm concerned as to why everyone keeps saying Whitehair to C when they just claimed C Eric Kush

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Every once in a while a player gets better with more reps...
True story��

Ha, smartarse! I'm good with it as long as we lay off him when he makes mistakes. We're not competing this year anyway.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Ha, smartarse! I'm good with it as long as we lay off him when he makes mistakes. We're not competing this year anyway.
I'm willing to live with the growing pains. Not expecting him to be rookie of the year.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Then why sign Sitton at all?

I guess because he is such a significant upgrade on what we have and we have no depth and plenty of cap room. Larsen is already pencilled in to start so Sitton taking his place should make us all happy. No chance both Sitton and Larsen start.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
I guess because he is such a significant upgrade on what we have and we have no depth and plenty of cap room. Larsen is already pencilled in to start so Sitton taking his place should make us all happy. No chance both Sitton and Larsen start.

So you would sign him to more than a 1 year deal in this scenario? Ok, that would make more sense than the one year deal being touted on here by some.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No point in paying premium money for a premium guard and playing him out of position. If you have Sitton you figure who's better at center between Whitehair and Larsen asap and get it done.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
If they sign him I hope to god it's for Center. Would be dumb to sit Whitehair and I don't think Whitehair is ready for Center.

Leno - Whitehair - Sitton - Long - Massie. Now that looks pretty freaking solid and Larsen can sit on the bench. Also gives insurance in the event that Long's injury gets worse. Hell, people might even stop sobbing over Slauson.

Holy shit would that would nice!!!

baredown

Liked Posts:
Sorry, don't see the logic in moving Whitehair to center. He was drafted to be a guard, and his long term position is presumably still at guard. Meanwhile, he's not as good as Larson at center right now. Moving him to center seems like both a short term loss and not in line with the big picture for his development. If Sitton signs, it would seem best for the Bears in the short term & long term to keep Whitehair at guard, even if it means being a backup this year.

Sitton seems like a bad match for the Bears from a contract perspective. At 30, he's going to be looking for 3-4 year, big dollar contract. The Bears are obviously in full rebuild mode, and looking for young players with long term potential. Just doesn't look like a good fit...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sorry, don't see the logic in moving Whitehair to center. He was drafted to be a guard, and his long term position is presumably still at guard. Meanwhile, he's not as good as Larson at center right now. Moving him to center seems like both a short term loss and not in line with the big picture for his development. If Sitton signs, it would seem best for the Bears in the short term & long term to keep Whitehair at guard, even if it means being a backup this year.

Sitton seems like a bad match for the Bears from a contract perspective. At 30, he's going to be looking for 3-4 year, big dollar contract. The Bears are obviously in full rebuild mode, and looking for young players with long term potential. Just doesn't look like a good fit...

Last time I checked the only long term success by any teams in the NFL is a combination of youth and experience. Becoming young for the sake of becoming young is plain stupid.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Did Whitehair play some C in college?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
So you would sign him to more than a 1 year deal in this scenario? Ok, that would make more sense than the one year deal being touted on here by some.

Mate, I have no idea, he's 30 and has had injuries problems. If he would last out a two-year deal then maybe, front-loaded with any guaranteed money in year one? The long term plan is for Whitehair-Grasu-Long to start but even next year I'd be happy for Sitton to back up those three or take/keep Grasu's spot. Better asking people that know more about O-line play about this though!