Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Who gives a shit about the Lombardi vs. Thompson comparison.

Actually having a guy that knows the history of the franchise of the team he's covering is refreshing enough. It shows this guy actually did research before writing the piece and he had input from other personnel directors around the league aka guys who know the game (which so many desperately say is necessary in order to have an opinion on this board) about his decline in play.

You never get historical type of coverage by Bears beat writers.
As an example no one knew what to make of the Marc Trestman hire and merely pointed to his CFL experience.

No shit, because that isn't what a beat writer is supposed to be doing.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Biff your world is small.

You don't recall anyone discussing Trestman's previous NFL experience.......you moron

And what the fuck does releasing a pro-bowl OG have to do with Packer's history.......wtf is wrong with you

YFPb6x5.gif

Your stupidity makes me giggle. Everyone who pointed to Trestman's previous NFL experience all pointed to the statistical rankings of the teams he coached which is what the people on this board pointed to. When you have beat writers who do as thorough of a job as you and v your intellect it's a problem.

No one did the research on Trestman and then Jerry Rice makes a negative statement against the hire and the entire board comes unglued at one of the greatest receivers of all time and says his opinion doesn't matter.

If just for once you took off your Homer goggles and actually looked at a story in depth enough that you might realize there could be major concerns with a good signing.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah a beat writer isn't supposed to bring context or precedent to his articles.... What?

Piece is nothing but a complete propaganda piece. Ted T is a complete idiot. At the very least he could have traded Sitton for a conditional draft pick of inconsequential value in order to inure Sitton didn't go to a divisional rival. Instead, he had something to prove, and in fact he did...........

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Your stupidity makes me giggle. Everyone who pointed to Trestman's previous NFL experience all pointed to the statistical rankings of the teams he coached which is what the people on this board pointed to. When you have beat writers who do as thorough of a job as you and v your intellect it's a problem.

No one did the research on Trestman and then Jerry Rice makes a negative statement against the hire and the entire board comes unglued at one of the greatest receivers of all time and says his opinion doesn't matter.

If just for once you took off your Homer goggles and actually looked at a story in depth enough that you might realize there could be major concerns with a good signing.
Nope, I think Modo was right. You're fucking Special person.

hello

Liked Posts:
Thank you. I was wondering what the hell 51 was talking about. They are going to justify the cut anyway they can in order to keep up the illusion of genius in the Packers front office. Truth is we got stronger, packers got weaker. Fuck the packers.

I mean, their FO has done a good job though. That's not an illusion. Doesn't mean this move wasn't stupid, though.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
The article was a fluff piece for the fans but the strategy is sound. The NFL as a whole is getting much better at realizing this strategy.
Look at how many big named players are out of football much sooner than 10 years ago.
But, this is why not many teams are giving teams any compensation for such players because they know they're going to get cut.
I hope this pans out for the Bears

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
The packers have the most overrated FO in the league.

The only thing that you can tip their hat to is getting back to back HOF quarterbacks. In fact, I think the Packers may have the best history on QBs in the league. Getting two super bowls out of back to back HOF quarterbacks is not impressive.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If we get two great years outta Sitton, the acquisition would be well worth it

.........He did come to TC for the packers 20lbs lighter to be less likely to be hurt and in better shape..........

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

The only thing that you can tip their hat to is getting back to back HOF quarterbacks. In fact, I think the Packers may have the best history on QBs in the league. Getting two super bowls out of back to back HOF quarterbacks is not impressive.

The Packers only won a single Super Bowl with Brett Favre because Favre consistently lost to OTHER Hall of Fame QBs, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, John Elway, and Kurt Warner. Hard to be critical of a team that gets beat by other Hall of Fame QBs in the playoffs year after year.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Those were also better built football teams.

HOF RB's and WR's on each of those teams.

I am excited to see the day the packers roll with an average QB.

Washington

Liked Posts:
The Sitton cut was surprising to me given how the Packers are in a win it now mode and have the cap space. This move should have been done early in camp and they might have gotten a pick for him then versus when teams knew he'd be cut. The difference with the Pack though, is that they do have young guys they have drafted developing to take these positions unlike us. Whether Sitton's replacement proves to be better than Sitton this year is still TBD.

Sitton has started his decline but he's still better than all our OGs save for Long. The signing is good insurance in case Long's injury proves to be a season ending one. I think the Bears will get 2 good years out of Sitton.

The move by GB, really makes no sense to me and is more Pace-like than Lombardi-like IMO.

hello

Liked Posts:

I know you are a Bears fan who has to hate all things Packers but come on. Consistently making the playoffs for a long period of time isn't easy to do in the FA era of the NFL. Can't compare it to what the Patriots have done under Belichick because that's obviously not the standard

Their FO isn't perfect at all but if they are overrated which FO isn't? Just the Patriots?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

really?

no one.....

the guy is simply speculating which we all have done already

.......did you read the article?

in depth!?! there is nothing in depth in this article.

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
Clearly the Packers only did it to make us feel better about cutting Slausson.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At the end of the day, it was a well researched and well written article from a journalistic standpoint. Unfortunately, the content left a lot to be desired because trying to make the tenuous link between Lombardi to Thompson is simply a bridge too far.

Frankly I look at Ted Thompson's tenure in GB as mediocre. Having a HOF QB is pretty much half the battle in the NFL. If the Packers had made bigger splashes in FA then I suspect they would have had at least another Super Bowl. Instead they have been over reliant on Rodgers and the draft and to some extent have wasted some of Rodgers prime years with that strategy.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I understand what Biff is saying, I guess. I just don't understand why you need all the historical nonsense in there. It doesn't mean anything.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How's this for research? From 1963 on, Lombardi's Packers had more OL upwards of 30 than below.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Packers cut Sitton to be a mole within the Bears organization. Sitton will pull a Leno and chop block Long in the leg like he did to Montgomery.