What was the closed door meeting all about?

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
I heard today that Ozzie called a closed-door meeting and that it was really long because the Sox were late for stretching.

What was it all about and what happened during it?

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
well since it was closed door, i doubt that anyone will find out. probably just a general meeting that they wanted to keep private

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Nah, the details of the meetings are usually found out/leaked very quickly, they just do the "closed doors" part so reporters can't directly quote guys swearing at/about other guys, etc.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
And apparently there is a USA Today report that Kenny has personally told the team that he has no plans to fire or trade away anyone in the near future, perhaps this is related to that?

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
wow. Kenny, DO SOMETHING

OPWhiteSoxfan

Liked Posts:
Maybe Kenny told the team he was pissed they were late for the meeting and he might miss his Tee time becuse he has already thrown in the towel on this crap team he built.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I know Im a Cubs fan, so im not the most knowledgeable....do the sox have money to make a few moves and get better?

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I know Im a Cubs fan, so im not the most knowledgeable....do the sox have money to make a few moves and get better?

Depends on who you're asking. Reinsdorf will tell you there's no money to be had, KW will tell you that money is not an issue, and Ozzie will ask WTF you're talking bout when you ask him about contracts and payroll. So yeah, the word is that they're close to the budget line, but exactly how close they are or exactly what where that line resides is anyone's guess.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
got ya....thx

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
everyone says we dont spend money but we are always over the 100 million mark. it isnt how much you spend it is how you spend it. and jerry also said there was no money for peavy...we got him, and again he said his hands were tied and we took on rios contract.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
everyone says we dont spend money but we are always over the 100 million mark. it isnt how much you spend it is how you spend it. and jerry also said there was no money for peavy...we got him, and again he said his hands were tied and we took on rios contract.

Well, that's what owners (or any prospective buyer) does. You can't expect JR to wade into Free Agency or the trading pool with a big sign that says "willing to spend a ton to get what we want", because chances are you're going to end up vastly overpaying or overvaluing what you get.

Think about it, if you go into Best Buy looking for a TV, and you tell the first salesman that asks that you are looking for a 36" TV and have around $2000 to spend, you're probably not going to be shown the 36" sets they have in the $600-$1200 range, are you? No, the salesman is going to take you to the sets that cost two grand flat, and work from there.

There's a difference between actually having the money to spend and showing your hand at the betting table and losing any and all leverage you had on the holders of the assets you wish to attain. Hell, just look at what happened to DePaul when they tried to bring in a new head coach after the AD went on the radio and told everyone that was listening that the Blue Demons were looking to make one of a few certain candidates the highest paid coach in the Big East.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, that's what owners (or any prospective buyer) does. You can't expect JR to wade into Free Agency or the trading pool with a big sign that says "willing to spend a ton to get what we want", because chances are you're going to end up vastly overpaying or overvaluing what you get.
Think about it, if you go into Best Buy looking for a TV, and you tell the first salesman that asks that you are looking for a 36" TV and have around $2000 to spend, you're probably not going to be shown the 36" sets they have in the $600-$1200 range, are you? No, the salesman is going to take you to the sets that cost two grand flat, and work from there.

There's a difference between actually having the money to spend and showing your hand at the betting table and losing any and all leverage you had on the holders of the assets you wish to attain. Hell, just look at what happened to DePaul when they tried to bring in a new head coach after the AD went on the radio and told everyone that was listening that the Blue Demons were looking to make one of a few certain candidates the highest paid coach in the Big East.

I understand that and agree with his philosphy. at the same time doing the opposite of that works out for teams as well. im not saying i would want jr to do that but it does work.