ESPN article on Theo

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Reading an article like that, it gives great insight to why they made the Chapman move for example. I thought that the Chapman deal may have been an ownership decision to alleviate fears around the team slumping but if the Cubs feel that Chapman makes them 5-6% more likely in the aggregate to win the WS, that's worth giving up a prospect like Torres.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Yeah thanks for the link. Getting Chapman will turn out to be one of the smartest things this organization has ever done. Assuming they can resign him in the offseason and why not? They will have about $1B to play with after winning the world series. But the guy will have probably 60 saves next year. Worth every penny and if this club can pay Jason Heyward $182M for 8 years it can afford to pay Chapman about $12-15M a year for 5.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They will have about $1B to play with after winning the world series.

Uh.... you realize the franchise itself is only valued at like $2-3 billion total and they only get that if they ya know sell the team. Playoff runs do increase revenue but it's not really as much as you'd expect. Tends to be around $10-20 mil to the following years payroll depending on several factors.

Also for what it's worth, Chapman has reportedly already turned down $15 mil a year from the yankees prior to the trade so there's that.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Yeah thanks for the link. Getting Chapman will turn out to be one of the smartest things this organization has ever done. Assuming they can resign him in the offseason and why not? They will have about $1B to play with after winning the world series. But the guy will have probably 60 saves next year. Worth every penny and if this club can pay Jason Heyward $182M for 8 years it can afford to pay Chapman about $12-15M a year for 5.

He's reportedly looking for close to $20 million and 5 years. I don't think they do that but they might take a look at Kenley Jansen who would come a heck of a lot cheaper and could profile as a heck of a set up guy if Edwards can take that next step in the year or so and become a fireball closer. The thing about Chapman that would scare me with that money and those years is that if he loses velo he's not going to be very effective. In Edwards you have a guy with velocity in the high 90's that can continue to develop and both Jansen and Rondon are already quality closers. I seriously doubt they resign Chapman.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's reportedly looking for close to $20 million and 5 years. I don't think they do that but they might take a look at Kenley Jansen who would come a heck of a lot cheaper and could profile as a heck of a set up guy if Edwards can take that next step in the year or so and become a fireball closer. The thing about Chapman that would scare me with that money and those years is that if he loses velo he's not going to be very effective. In Edwards you have a guy with velocity in the high 90's that can continue to develop and both Jansen and Rondon are already quality closers. I seriously doubt they resign Chapman.

Yeah, it was blatantly obvious in the one outing where he really got lit up. He never hit more than 97, while still big time heat...it's very hitable particularly if it doesn't have a lot of movement. Combine that with his control issues...he could lead to a considerable amount of lost revenue. I agree, I don't think they even try to sign him...he's a rental and that's all.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yeah, if Chapman wants to stay he'll sign for much less than he could elsewhere.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

I'm not sure it makes any sense to justify any contract based on Heyward.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Long, but well worth it. Good stuff.