Kerry Wood:

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
We were talking about this in another thread. Some suggested we re-acquire Kid K.

Kerry is my favorite Cub but there are a few reasons this shouldn't and won't happen.

First of all, Kerry has a large contract (that's why we let him go in the first place).

Another reason is because Wood is not only injury prone (as we know all to well) but has missed most of the season. He just came off of the DL last week and it hasn't been pretty.

Actually it's been really ugly. In 3.1 innings pitched, Wood has 5 walks, 3 strikeouts with and ERA of 18.90 and a WHIP of 3.60 along with a blown save.

That being said, I'd rather have Woody than Homerun Howry.

yoshiki89

Liked Posts:
Today's Kerry Wood is certainly not yesterday's.

I remember actually throwing a coffee mug across the room when I found out he got traded a couple of years ago. I'm glad it wasn't my favorite coffee mug, because a year later I thanked the baseball gods he didn't stay with us - that was a baaaaad year for him.

I haven't completely let go of him (or Reed Johnson, for that matter)...when I saw the Indians at the Royals last summer, my heart sunk like a lead battleship when Kerry took the mound to finish the game for the Royals.

I think he's better off now, not as a Cub...and I think the Cubs are probably better off without him.

Bob Howry...geez...

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
Yeah I was at the Indians/Cubs game in the bleachers last year. My two favorite players Derosa and Wood got standing ovations multiple times. DeRosa played left field that game and every single inning got a huge ovation.

It was awesome to see. That was the game we faced Cliff Lee and were down 7-2 in the 8th and we came back. Rich Harden was awful. But man oh man, what a game.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wood would be great addition for Cubs... he only pitched in 3 innings so far... its like his spring training... to me it wouldnt cost to much to get him RIGHT NOW..

ChicagoOwnsLebron

Why would we want him though? Maybe as a pitching coach.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
As much as it seems that Maddux has worked with the pitchers this spring (don't know about into the season) I would say it is his job now. Just without the title of pitching coach.

CarlosSilva

Liked Posts:
Bring him back to the NL. He would fit as a setup guy with the Cubs.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs could get Wooh for a low level spect like Patton who was recently DFA if they pay like whole contract.

Or the Indians pay more than half like 7-8 million. The Cubs give up 2 mid level spects, But I think it can happen.

TheDude13

Liked Posts:
The unfortunate truth is that, our favorite Cubs may not be the best Cubs(except in the case of Augie Ojeda who ultimately became a decent hitter to add to his solid glove after he left the Cubs). While I would tend to agree that Woody would be a better option than Howry, it would be a risky gamble. The reason we got rid of Woody was because the Cubs felt that he would want a large contract and that his production could not match that. Howry, on the other hand, was signed for the veteran minimum. Woody is still throwin in the mid-90s but it just isn't the same. As much as I'd love to see Kid K back in the Cubby Blue Pinstripes, it would do more harm that good at this time. But hey, the baseball gods are having a little fun this year aren't they? i.e. Carlos Silva for Cy Young!

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carlos Silva for CY, lol. Good luck with that but would be awesome.

I also love Wood but you could be right.

Manticore

Liked Posts:
I love Kerry as much as anyone, but he definately isn't living up to the contract he was given,and I doubt it would take as little as a "Patton" to get him. Just not in my top 5 list of relievers to make a deal for.