IST: Cubs @ Pirates

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Scrub team. Joe said he is resting guys this week. He got his 100 win goal and he is cashing it in until round 1. I'm fine with it. Today 3 guys starting. guess that will be the norm. Rotate the days off and keep 3 regulars per game to keep their timing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Soler hurt means Baez starting. I'm fine with Soler out until the DH. Baez is hot right now and you want that to carry into round 1

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is about the worst team they can put out there. I guess it pays to give guys days off.

Reverse psychology. Played the regulars for weeks with Lackey pitching....rarely got him more than a run or two. Maybe the backups will light up the scoreboard for him.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Pittsburgh can't spoil anything either. The Cubs clinched division, HFA and 100 wins. There isn't much for Pittsburgh to do other than fall over with their legs open for the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pittsburgh can't spoil anything either. The Cubs clinched division, HFA and 100 wins. There isn't much for Pittsburgh to do other than fall over with their legs open for the Cubs.

Pride. Cubs put in subs. It would be a slap in the face to be beat by 1/2 of Iowa.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Let the Pirates be spoilers at the end of this week.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pride doesn't throw strikes and play defense.

Pretty funny when you say that. Just making it to majors normally means you are in the top 1%.

Like I said getting beat by 4 guys that should not be on a play off roster much less being a every day major league player. Or not in the 1% is a slap to the face. Lackey tosses a shut out you deal with it. But there should be no reason why the Pirates lose here unless they play the sub game also.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Pretty funny when you say that. Just making it to majors normally means you are in the top 1%.

Like I said getting beat by 4 guys that should not be on a play off roster much less being a every day major league player. Or not in the 1% is a slap to the face. Lackey tosses a shut out you deal with it. But there should be no reason why the Pirates lose here unless they play the sub game also.
If that was the case, everyone in the top 1% wouldn't ever get DFA'd.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Pride doesn't throw strikes and play defense.

Neither does Joe Smith. :smug2:

Just a stroll down memory lane. Look at some of the names that took the field at some point for Dave Sveum in 2012, just four years ago.

Pitching:

Jairo Asencio
Jeff Beliveau
Jason Berken
Michael Bowden
Alberto Cabrera
Shawn Camp
Lendy Castillo
Jaye Chapman
Casey Coleman
Manuel Corpas
Ryan Dempster
Rafael Dolis
Matt Garza
Justin Germano
Alex Hinshaw
Rodrigo Lopez
Paul Maholm
Scott Maine
Carlos Marmol
Blake Parker
Brooks Raley
Chris Rusin
James Russell
Jeff Samardzija
Miguel Socolovich
Chris Volstad
Randy Wells
Kerry Wood
Travis Wood

Catching:

53 Welington Castillo
51 Steve Clevenger
55 Koyie Hill
47 Blake Lalli
20 Anthony Recker
18 Geovany Soto

Infield:

3 Jeff Baker
15 Darwin Barney
45 Adrian Cardenas
13 Starlin Castro
11 Blake DeWitt
6 Bryan LaHair
44 Anthony Rizzo
2 Ian Stewart
24 Luis Valbuena
5 Josh Vitters

Outfield:

24 Marlon Byrd
1 Tony Campana
9 David DeJesus
7 Brett Jackson
5 Reed Johnson
16, 21 Joe Mather
17 Dave Sappelt
12 Alfonso Soriano

Rizzo and Travis Wood are the only holdovers from that year. Rizzo came up halfway through the year, and Wood was a starter. Wow!

Kinda puts things into perspective at just how far they have come. :yep:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Some times it feels like Baez is not a natural SS. He looks so much better at 2B and 3B.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cogs getting hot at right time

Funny a few weeks, Cogs and Montero were the last guys you wanted to see play in playoff
Now they both might start

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Cogs getting hot at right time

Funny a few weeks, Cogs and Montero were the last guys you wanted to see play in playoff
Now they both might start

Montero has the best chance to start games. With Joe, anything can happen and he will play matchups.

That said. If you want a good defensive team on the field, Cogs will not be playing much because Joe loves defense, and there are far better and quicker defensive players than Cogs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Who knows. It sounds like 11 pitchers from what Joe is saying. Most likely Hammel in long relief. If they carry 14 bats it would be Fowler,Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist, Russell, Heyward, Montero, Baez. Then mix in Ross, Contreras.

Soler injured puts either Zobrist or Bryant in LF. This makes LaStella have higher value as a back up. That makes it 22. At that point Keeping Almora and Coghlan works. 1 to boost late D other for PH duty. Still leaves a free spot.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Montero has the best chance to start games. With Joe, anything can happen and he will play matchups.

That said. If you want a good defensive team on the field, Cogs will not be playing much because Joe loves defense, and there are far better and quicker defensive players than Cogs.
I didnt say he was going to start every game or that he would start, just said he might

With Soler maybe missing the first series

LF options

Contreras
Bryant
Zobrist
Coghlan

As far as better defensively
Go ahead and rank them from the choices above

I think it basically going to come down to against certain RH pitcher if Maddon goes with Baez ( Bryant or Zobrist in LF) or Cogs.. Maddon just might want to load up with LH against a RH starter in a game or two.
I don't think Contreras will start but might be used late at Catcher ..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lackey season over
Everyone satified.. Expected better or worse

29 starts 188 IP 3.35 ERA 11 wins

About what I expected, was thinking hed get 15 wins
But can't complain