Panarin's contract negotiations

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Someone with a hefty contract will be picked up in the expansion draft by Vegas that will be the swap for Panarin contract.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hossa strikes me as a future LTIR candidate who gets traded to another team just for the cap hit, like Arizona Coyotes legends Pavel Datsyuk and Chris Pronger.

...or Nathan Horton. I'm just trying to imagine any scenario that will take his cap hit off the books.

Hopefully, his numbers will be better this year than last year. I think they will be. Can't be any worse.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hossa did look good last night in the WCoH--if not offensively gifted, he was still outskating younger guys, was key parked in front of Canada's net on Euro's only goal, and was taking the puck away.

Seabrook last year, on the other hand, looked as old and slow as Chara on the back end during the WCoH.

Now, I do hear rumors that Brent "The Refrigerator" Seabrook looks in good shape after this offseason, which clouds things further.

Looking at the actual cap situation: With 15-ishM in cap space (this year's ceiling) going into 2018, the 'hawks need 1G (backup), 2D (1 roster, 1 spare), and 8F (7 roster, 1 spare) based on who is signed through next season, according to CF. Assuming best case expansion scenario (Kruger gets taken off the 'hawks hands, that trebels to 9FWD, 2D, and 1G needing to be signed, with 18-ishM cap space. That translates to about 1.5M/player.

Now, let's assume that the backup netminder, and the spare skaters are all 750k. That leaves the 15.8M in cap with 9 players needing to be signed--or 1.75M/player.

Signing Panarin to a 6 for 6 then means the 'hawks now have 9.8m in cap space with 8 players to be signed. That's 1.2M/player.

That's not only do-able, but better than how we're doing it this season! All of our forwards not named Toews, Kane, Hossa, Anisimov, and Kruger are making sub-1M, and all of our defensemen not named Keith, Hjammer, Seabrook, and Campbell are making sub-1M.

As such, the 'hawks might not be in too dire of straights--as long as they relieve themselves of Kruger at a minimum, and keep all "spare" positions cheap.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First off, nobody wants Hossa. The guy is 76 years and declining at an astronomically high salary. Who in their right mind would take his contract on? Hopefully Seabrook has a bounce back year because he looked incredibly slow last year. At this point, I would him rotate him in with Campbell behind Duncan Keith and Nic.

That's it!!! Logan Square, 10:30.

Bring it!!!

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's it!!! Logan Square, 10:30.

Bring it!!!
tenor.gif

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Someone with a hefty contract will be picked up in the expansion draft by Vegas that will be the swap for Panarin contract.
The only umph of any contract on the team no also with a NMC is Kruger.

If they want to swap around and get Anisimov or Seabs to agree with a potential to be taken and ask then to allow it, it's possible but otherwise it's not likely gonna be a cap helping expansion in that way.

Btw, is that teddykgb guy still on this sight. Because the whole give that man his money thing works right with Panarin

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it sets up the Hawks moving 81 and possibly 50 after this season. You may see a few extra starts from Darling as the season progresses to see if he can be comfortable enough to handle more of a role of starting more frequently.
The bottom line is that they need to cut some salary, and I just don't see it coming from moving 2,4 or 7-- especially when Dmen are commanding some high contracts.

I guess we'll see how this all pan(arin)s out.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Problem with moving Hossa is the re-capture penalty the Hawks will be with if he decides to call it quits. I could see it happening if he gets moved to some shit team in a shit city.