Panarin's contract negotiations

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Reports all over the Twitterverse today had Panarin asking for a 6-year, $36-million dollar deal from the Hawks.

Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune had the initial report with the numbers mentioned above.

Stan Bowman said just about exactly what you'd expect to say regarding the negotiations:

"I don't think it's a productive thing to negotiate through the media," Bowman said. "Obviously, Artemi is a big part of our team. We're excited for the season he had. We're looking forward to him building on that.

"And then the negotiations will be what they are between his agent and myself. I respect Tom. He's a very knowledgeable guy and I know Artemi put a lot of faith in him. Tom and I will work to get something done."

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
that would be an excellent deal. hopefully that's how it will end up-

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Depends on who we will lose to make it happen. Hossa, Kruger, Seabrook, or Anisimov I'm okay with to make the space. Anyone else in the 4M+ bracket I'm not really okay with losing.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depends on who we will lose to make it happen. Hossa, Kruger, Seabrook, or Anisimov I'm okay with to make the space. Anyone else in the 4M+ bracket I'm not really okay with losing.

I can't think of anyone else either. Hate to lose any of them, but it would be worth it to sign Panarin.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think it will get done soon, Panarin is the new wave of core members for this team

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
If true, Panarin would definitely be worth $6mil on the open market (based on his performance last year obviously). Blackhawks will certainly have a lot of figuring out to do if they add another $6mil player to the cap going forward.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Perhaps Hossa can finish his career in Ottawa, and we can get a draft pick or young prospect. Depends on cap issues there, too, of course.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Perhaps Hossa can finish his career in Ottawa, and we can get a draft pick or young prospect. Depends on cap issues there, too, of course.

95329fdf9e229b7e0d169fa5fb65ec74.jpg

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

I think the contract that might get moved first (if they can find a taker) would be Seabrook's, personally.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The thought of Hossa finishing his career elsewhere is a sad one indeed. But do what you must I suppose. With a core like Toews, Kane, and Panarin, you do what you must to keep it.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the contract that might get moved first (if they can find a taker) would be Seabrook's, personally.

Seabrook, 7 mil per year for 7 years...isn't Seabs 32? Then there is the Hossa contract, 8 mil per for how many more years? Kane and Toews deals = cap hell, the price of success.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Seabrook, 7 mil per year for 7 years...isn't Seabs 32? Then there is the Hossa contract, 8 mil per for how many more years? Kane and Toews deals = cap hell, the price of success.

Those deals didn't seem so bad when they were signed based on the assumption that the cap would steadily increase. Then the Canadian dollar tanked.

I'd still say Kane's deal is probably worth every penny because of how dominant he was last year. A bit torn on the Toews' one because his production hasn't been there the last few seasons.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am sure Toews will have a rebound year. A longer summer might also help the core overall. But yeah, Panarin should be part of the core, although I would like to see another season like his rookie year to be sure.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Other players are taking less than they could get, Stamkos, Marchand, etc., so that there teams can get that extra player or two, that cap space provides. When Toews and Kane signed, players weren't doing that, though, as D-Melt noted the assumption was that cap space was going to increase every year, but the Canadian dollar - er loonie - tank put a kibosh on that.

and in more good news...

Loonie rally is over and the currency is heading back to low 70s, says analyst
http://business.financialpost.com/i...rency-is-heading-back-to-low-70s-says-analyst

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yes, more upside to taking on Seabrook's K than Hossa's, most likely, but maybe Hossa'd like to retire in Ottawa, if (when) trading him becomes a necessity, and maybe the Senators would like him to finish his career there, but maybe not.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
First off, nobody wants Hossa. The guy is 76 years and declining at an astronomically high salary. Who in their right mind would take his contract on? Hopefully Seabrook has a bounce back year because he looked incredibly slow last year. At this point, I would him rotate him in with Campbell behind Duncan Keith and Nic.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I am sure Toews will have a rebound year. A longer summer might also help the core overall. But yeah, Panarin should be part of the core, although I would like to see another season like his rookie year to be sure.

Absolutely. And there is still a hint of doubt in my mind about whether or not he'd put up the same numbers without Kane. Of course, any skilled player is going to thrive alongside a guy like Kane. But I think Panarin would be okay as long as there is some decent talent on his opposite wing, like he displayed in the World Cup.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Also can't wait for Tater to get back to this thread.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Yes, more upside to taking on Seabrook's K than Hossa's, most likely, but maybe Hossa'd like to retire in Ottawa, if (when) trading him becomes a necessity, and maybe the Senators would like him to finish his career there, but maybe not.

Hossa strikes me as a future LTIR candidate who gets traded to another team just for the cap hit, like Arizona Coyotes legends Pavel Datsyuk and Chris Pronger.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
First off, nobody wants Hossa. The guy is 76 years and declining at an astronomically high salary. Who in their right mind would take his contract on? Hopefully Seabrook has a bounce back year because he looked incredibly slow last year. At this point, I would him rotate him in with Campbell behind Duncan Keith and Nic.

There are actually quite a few teams who would likely take Hossa. Especially as his actual salary continues to dwindle while his cap hit stays the same. Teams that are never going to get near the cap or need to get to the cap floor would all be for a contract and player like Hossa.

The bigger issue would be the Blackhawks not being able to control some of that recapture penalty.