Examining the Different NLDS Scenario's

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Mets won. Cards pulled the comeback. 0-0 SFG vs Shaw. It may end up a perfect storm.

And 55: not about the ace going 1 time at all. It would be a 1 game then the next day a 1 game.

Oct 2 is season final. Oct 7 is game 1.

That means if there are 2 games in between that and they have to pitch both their 1/2 in that span.

Oct 8 is game 2. Oct 10 is game 3. This means game 3 would be their ace then game 4 their 2. So this forces them to use their #4

It has no real impact on the Giants (they'd swap Moore and Shark for game 2/4) or the Cardinals (Leake would go game 2, Martinez would go game 4).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Might not matter. All 3 won.

NYM holds the tie break with SFG. Cards can't catch them so they have home field now.

SFG win and in. Lose and Cards win in 1 game series as visitor.

If that happens it would most likely be both aces in that 1 game. Winner's #2 goes up vs Noah in a 1 game. So say SFG pull it off and use up both Bum and Cueto in both games.

That means in games 1-2 they have to use Moore and Shark vs Lester and Hendricks

Games 3-4 Bum and Cueto vs Jake (most likely) and Lester again. Back to Kyle vs what they have left.

If that extra game doesn't happen Cueto pitches game 1 and 4. Moore game 2 and 5.

No shark etc.

It makes a huge difference.

Only thing is not sure on who pitched today for them. Beating Shaw is not a small thing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ty Blach. Lefty doing pretty well. Debut was Sept 5th so I doubt he is play off eligible. Might be a good thing as he is pitching very well right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Read on SFG site that Shark may pitch the tie breaker if it happens vs the Cards. That is his expected next assignment.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Might not matter. All 3 won.

NYM holds the tie break with SFG. Cards can't catch them so they have home field now.

SFG win and in. Lose and Cards win in 1 game series as visitor.

If that happens it would most likely be both aces in that 1 game. Winner's #2 goes up vs Noah in a 1 game. So say SFG pull it off and use up both Bum and Cueto in both games.

That means in games 1-2 they have to use Moore and Shark vs Lester and Hendricks

Games 3-4 Bum and Cueto vs Jake (most likely) and Lester again. Back to Kyle vs what they have left.

If that extra game doesn't happen Cueto pitches game 1 and 4. Moore game 2 and 5.

No shark etc.

It makes a huge difference.

Only thing is not sure on who pitched today for them. Beating Shaw is not a small thing.

Bum pitched Friday.. He not pitching Monday on 2 days rest.
His next start would be WC game on Wednesday.
Then Game 3 of NLDS if they win WC.

Cueto pitching tomorrow Sunday, so his next start won't be til Friday Game 1 if they get to NLDS.

Shark would pitch tie breaker Monday if needed

Cubs will not be facing Giants or Cardinals 4th starter til the 4th game if needed..
I showed you above, no matter what happens, extra game Monday or not.
because NLDS don't start til Friday, both teams if they get by Mets in WC will be able to pitch their 2,3, and 1 starter in first 3 games of NLDS. All starters will have regular 4 days rest between starts.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Read on SFG site that Shark may pitch the tie breaker if it happens vs the Cards. That is his expected next assignment.
That what I've been telling you..lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That what I've been telling you..lol

I was shocked to read that they were thinking of risking the season on Shark for a 1 game match up with the Cards. In the same article Shark was even wondering if he would be on the post season roster.

Seems he redeveloped his split finger where he can now use his fastball up in the zone more as the split also starts in that spot.

He got into more trouble in the past when he was using his cutter more than his split. This style seems to fit him better.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I was shocked to read that they were thinking of risking the season on Shark for a 1 game match up with the Cards. In the same article Shark was even wondering if he would be on the post season roster.

Seems he redeveloped his split finger where he can now use his fastball up in the zone more as the split also starts in that spot.

He got into more trouble in the past when he was using his cutter more than his split. This style seems to fit him better.
They dont really have a choice with using Bum on Friday and Cueto Sunday.
That the disadvantage of needing to win these games at end of season.

Be interesting to see if Dodgers go all out to try and win or rest guys against Cueto on last day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They dont really have a choice with using Bum on Friday and Cueto Sunday.
That the disadvantage of needing to win these games at end of season.

Be interesting to see if Dodgers go all out to try and win or rest guys against Cueto on last day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

They have it listed as Moore vs Maeda.

Cards is Wainwright vs Vogelsong.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:

They will go all out and try to win. Or at least they will do everything in their power to make it look like they are going all out to try to win. Anything less is very disrespectful to the Cardinals and against the unwritten rules.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Dodgers/Giants is one of the biggest rivalries in baseball. I would think sending San Fran home would be a nice finish for LA.

I like how they did the same time for all games again today.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They will go all out and try to win. Or at least they will do everything in their power to make it look like they are going all out to try to win. Anything less is very disrespectful to the Cardinals and against the unwritten rules.
I don't think it would be disrespectful..

Their in playoff and know where their going
So, their only obligation today is to themselves

They need to make sure everyone comes out healthy
Rest regulars who need it
Give the others a couple AB and then sit them

No need to overwork pitchers

Besides .. Direspecting the Cardinals?
You know if it were reverse, the Cardinals wouldn't care less and sit everyone

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They have it listed as Moore vs Maeda.

Cards is Wainwright vs Vogelsong.
Wainwright was scheduled for today..
then they use Leake tomorrow if needed.

Giants must have switched to Moore because it Cueto turn in rotation.. Their IMO risking it today with Moore in order to probably have Cueto pitch tomorrow if needed..
Wonder if they got word that Dodgers are sitting some regulars to be comfortable going with Moore over Cueto..
Gives them opportunity and advantage to use Cueto if needed tomorrow.

If that the case then it could benefit the Cubs a bit for Game 1 against Giants, they would have to start Moore or Samardzija.
Cueto Game 2. Bum Game 3

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Good night, Cards. SF vs NYM on Wednesday. Thor vs Bum. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Might be irreverent. Moore is cruzing. Dodgers just letting them walk in.

Looks like the Thor/Bum match up. Cards have to hope for Moore to implode.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
So Cubs vs Mets/Giants winner. I'll be rooting for the Mets as I would much rather face a team with weaker SP than weaker bullpen.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Cueto vs Lester next Friday at Wrigley. Book it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goose22

Liked Posts:
Bring on the Mets! Would much rather face a depleted starting rotation with the Mets than against a San Fran team that played very well with their backs against the wall vs. the Dodgers. I believe the Cubbies would feel like they have a score to settle against the Mets as well given last year's post season results.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
If the playoffs started today, the Nats would face off against the Dodgers. We would play the winner of the Wild Card between SF and NYM. First off, a wild care game with Thor battling Madison Baumgarten would be amazing. That would be must-see TV. If the Mets win, we are basically going:

Game 1: Colon vs Lester
Game 2: Gsellman vs Hendricks
Game 3: Lugo vs Arrieta
Game 4: Thor vs Lackey

It would be tough to imagine the Mets winning a series against us with those match ups. I think we'd be looking at 3-0 sweep or a 3-1 series win.

SF advancing past the Mets wouldn't be quite as fun. This is what we'd be looking at:

Game 1: Cueto vs Lester
Game 2: Matt Moore vs Hendricks
Game 3: Shark vs Arrieta
Game 4: Baumgarten vs Lackey

Or would there be days off to allow Baumgarten to pitch in Game 3? If so, would Shark then go in Game 4 or back to Cueto?

Cueto runs from dominate to brutal. Moore just threw a nasty 11-strike out game against the Rockies but is up and down. Shark can pitch well at times but is not dominate or reliable. And Baumgarten is dominate the majority of the time. Obviously it would do us wonders to get to Cueto in game 1.

I would think both Hendricks and Arrieta can and probably will out-duel Moore and Shark. But you'd hate to go into game 4 with Madison having the opportunity to tie it at 2-2. Still, my gut tells we'd take them out in 4 games -- possibly 5.

Or If St. Louis advances, I'm not sure what order their starting rotation would go with Wainwright, Leake and Garcia all having bad years. I would think Martinez would pitch in the Wild Card game leaving the rotation like this:

Game 1: Reyes vs Lester
Game 2: Wainwright vs Hendricks
Game 3: Garcia vs Arrieta
Game 4: Martinez vs Lackey

While I want nothing to do with Reyes in game 1, I could see this going 3-0 or 3-1 with us advancing easily. They'd have to beat Lester and Hendricks at Wrigley -- which I just don't see happening.

My preference would be New York, St. Louis and then the Giants. Let's just hope SF gets eliminated.....

I like your analysis. Im thinking the same thing against what will likely be the Mets. The Giants have been so bad this year that they're not going to beat the Mets. So we sweep the Mets starting with Colon vs Lester? Are you serious? This really isn't fair.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Game 1: Colon vs Lester
Game 2: Gsellman vs Hendricks
Game 3: Lugo vs Arrieta
Game 4: Thor vs Lackey

How do not win 3 out these 4 games?? I think we win all 4.