Examining the Different NLDS Scenario's

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Bryant, Rizzo, and Russell, and Baez, and Heyward, and Coghlin are going to be destroying Colon and Gsellman vs Hendricks? The ERA leader by a large margin especially at home.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I was incorrect - this is how the Cubs/Mets series would play out.

Game 1: Lester vs Colon
Game 2: Hendricks vs Gsellam
Game 3: Arrieta vs Thor
Game 4: Lackey vs Lugo

I think we win that series 3-1.

SF is far more formidable of an opponent.

Game 1: Lester vs Cueto (toss up)
Game 2: Hendricks vs Moore (advantage Cubs)
Game 3: Arrieta vs Madbum (advantage SF)
Game 4: Lackey vs Shark (advantage Cubs)
Game 5: Lester vs Cueto rematch (toss up)

I think this series goes 5 games. Historically if you look at Cueto's playoff performances, he's unlikely to have 2 dominate performances in the same round. However, he's likely to have one dominate performance. I don't know, I feel like this series could go either way. We have a better bullpen, better team defense and better offense -- which, I think would mean more in the NLCS. But when you two teams have comparable pitching staffs in this short a series -- it's kinda a crap shoot.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Cueto and Moore pitch well in games 1 and 2. But it also wouldn't surprise me to see them both get hit hard. Either way, it's gonna be awesome. I am so thankful we're here!!

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I was incorrect - this is how the Cubs/Mets series would play out.

Game 1: Lester vs Colon
Game 2: Hendricks vs Gsellam
Game 3: Arrieta vs Thor
Game 4: Lackey vs Lugo

I think we win that series 3-1.

SF is far more formidable of an opponent.

Game 1: Lester vs Cueto (toss up)
Game 2: Hendricks vs Moore (advantage Cubs)
Game 3: Arrieta vs Madbum (advantage SF)
Game 4: Lackey vs Shark (advantage Cubs)
Game 5: Lester vs Cueto rematch (toss up)

I think this series goes 5 games. Historically if you look at Cueto's playoff performances, he's unlikely to have 2 dominate performances in the same round. However, he's likely to have one dominate performance. I don't know, I feel like this series could go either way. We have a better bullpen, better team defense and better offense -- which, I think would mean more in the NLCS. But when you two teams have comparable pitching staffs in this short a series -- it's kinda a crap shoot.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Cueto and Moore pitch well in games 1 and 2. But it also wouldn't surprise me to see them both get hit hard. Either way, it's gonna be awesome. I am so thankful we're here!!

Maybe you've read something I don't but why would Matt Moore start game 2? Samardzija has been a much better pitcher over the last month or so. Shark has a 2.95 ERA and a 1.173 WHIP since 9/1 and a 10.2 K/9 to go along with that. Conversely Moore has a 5.17 ERA and a 1.5 WHIP and less K's at 9.5 K/9. Unless it's the Wrigley thing I would think SF would be insane to go with Moore in game 2.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Maybe you've read something I don't but why would Matt Moore start game 2? Samardzija has been a much better pitcher over the last month or so. Shark has a 2.95 ERA and a 1.173 WHIP since 9/1 and a 10.2 K/9 to go along with that. Conversely Moore has a 5.17 ERA and a 1.5 WHIP and less K's at 9.5 K/9. Unless it's the Wrigley thing I would think SF would be insane to go with Moore in game 2.

Moore has been pitching out of his mind. Four of his last five starts have ranged from very good to out-right dominate. He destroyed the Dodgers, pitching 8 innings and only giving up 3 hits and 1 run. He was dominate in 7.2 innings against the Rockies -- striking out 11 with zero walks. He was good against St. Louis, only giving up 2 runs. And he was very good against Arizona, striking out 11 again and only giving up 2 runs in 7 innings of work.

If they start Shark in game 2, consider us lucky. I would much rather face Shark than Moore right now.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Moore has been pitching out of his mind. Four of his last five starts have ranged from very good to out-right dominate. He destroyed the Dodgers, pitching 8 innings and only giving up 3 hits and 1 run. He was dominate in 7.2 innings against the Rockies -- striking out 11 with zero walks. He was good against St. Louis, only giving up 2 runs. And he was very good against Arizona, striking out 11 again and only giving up 2 runs in 7 innings of work.

If they start Shark in game 2, consider us lucky. I would much rather face Shark than Moore right now.

He had a couple of good games and some clunkers in Sept/October

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/31099/matt-moore

Again his ERA in that span was 5.17

Here's Samardzija by contrast

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/29166/jeff-samardzija

Again Shark's ERA in the same span was 2.95. Moore has had some great games but Samardzija has been more consistent.

If I'm SF it's not a contest and I'd much rather see Moore than Shark in that game 2.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
He had a couple of good games and some clunkers in Sept/October

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/31099/matt-moore

Again his ERA in that span was 5.17

Here's Samardzija by contrast

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/29166/jeff-samardzija

Again Shark's ERA in the same span was 2.95. Moore has had some great games but Samardzija has been more consistent.

If I'm SF it's not a contest and I'd much rather see Moore than Shark in that game 2.

Not me. I'm confident we will hit Shark. No so much with Moore. But we shall see.