Report: White Sox to welcome back Robin Ventura as manager in 2017

Ron Burgundy

USATSI_7394708_crop_north.jpg

Managing the 2017 Chicago White Sox will be Robin Ventura's job — if he wants it.Writer Bob Nightengale is reporting that the White Sox are welcoming Ventura back as the club's manager for the 2017 season. The team will offer him a new contract to manage the club, despite another disappointing season on the South Side.Nightengale writes:
The official spoke on the condition of anonymity since there has been no public announcement, and contract negotiations have yet to commence.The White Sox’s decision to bring back Ventura comes as a bit of a surprise, given the club's disappointing 76-81 record in a season they expected to *contend.Yet, the White Sox front office refuses to blame him for their woes.​
The White Sox overcame a national story regarding Adam LaRoche and his son, Drake, in Spring Training to get off to a hot start. But they eventually cooled down and found themselves in fourth place in the AL Central.Another low point came in the Summer before a game against the Detroit Tigers in which ace Chris Sale was scratched from his start after he cut up the throwback jerseys the team was supposed to wear.Prior to that, the White Sox turned down a "huge" offer for Sale, according to reports.They will have to win their remaining games to avoid a fourth-consecutive losing season and Ventura will end 2016 with his career record below .500.

More...

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's way more than Robin. I'm ready to move on to the Renteria helm, but without a change with development it won't mean much.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Until at the least Kenny is gone it wont be much different. I would like Reinsdorf to sell the team also.

These things will not likely happen anytime soon, which is why there is little hope.

Until then, go Cubs, I guess.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm excited for Renteria to get another opportunity. You have to have the players though. There are lots of things the Sox need to work on, but RR certainly knows the fundamentals of the game, communicates well with the players and did a nice job for the Cubs as their manager.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm excited for Renteria to get another opportunity. You have to have the players though. There are lots of things the Sox need to work on, but RR certainly knows the fundamentals of the game, communicates well with the players and did a nice job for the Cubs as their manager.

First, Thanks Robin for being one of the classiest men ever to coach a team.

That said RR is fine. The issue is more than just the 25 guys on the roster. It's the front office, scouting, and player development. Kenny has to go. Jerry probably needs to sell. The Entire development process needs an overhaul. This move means nothing if changes there don't occur. Yes the team can win it all as constructed. The odds of that happening are as good as a team hitting on all their prospects and that's already happened up north.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That said RR is fine. The issue is more than just the 25 guys on the roster. It's the front office, scouting, and player development. Kenny has to go. Jerry probably needs to sell. The Entire development process needs an overhaul. This move means nothing if changes there don't occur. Yes the team can win it all as constructed. The odds of that happening are as good as a team hitting on all their prospects and that's already happened up north.

The yearly patchwork theme needs to be ash canned. They have some assets they can move to get a jump start on a rebuild....the question is....will management allow it to happen? Williams does what Jerry tells him to do, so it becomes pretty obvious what needs to transpire.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The yearly patchwork theme needs to be ash canned. They have some assets they can move to get a jump start on a rebuild....the question is....will management allow it to happen? Williams does what Jerry tells him to do, so it becomes pretty obvious what needs to transpire.

You cannot trade Sale or Q until you redo the minor league development system. Until then you have to do patchwork.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
get rid of the garpax front office model until then meh

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You cannot trade Sale or Q until you redo the minor league development system. Until then you have to do patchwork.

Who said trade those two...if it's me, I build around Sale, Q and Anderson. Granted they'd net the most but there are guys like Eaton, Frazier, Robertson, Cabrera and even Abreu that are 30ish players that would bring some young talent in return. Time is wasting...how many times do you want them finish around .500? They are in mediocrity hell.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Sorry Brett, last time I checked, there's nobody named Theo in the Sox front office.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Who said trade those two...if it's me, I build around Sale, Q and Anderson. Granted they'd net the most but there are guys like Eaton, Frazier, Robertson, Cabrera and even Abreu that are 30ish players that would bring some young talent in return. Time is wasting...how many times do you want them finish around .500? They are in mediocrity hell.

Eaton would not net more than he's worth so it's dumb to do. I'd be open to trading all the rest. Again the FACT remains you can't do it until you redo development from the TOP down. That means the talent is the last to improve so that when said talent arrives you have a way to cultivate instead of the opposite.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Sorry Brett, last time I checked, there's nobody named Theo in the Sox front office.

I agree which is the argument I have been putting forth. Glad you agree with me.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Eaton would not net more than he's worth so it's dumb to do. I'd be open to trading all the rest. Again the FACT remains you can't do it until you redo development from the TOP down. That means the talent is the last to improve so that when said talent arrives you have a way to cultivate instead of the opposite.

Wow. If you're looking for these guys to net more than they're worth....why bother, it ain't happening. They need an infusion of talent in their system...drafting 17 or 18 every year won't get it done. Maybe that's why they never bite the bullet and do what's needed....if so, then they truly are lost. Hope you enjoyed 2005 because that's all you're gonna get for a real long time.

Thank God, I'm a Cub fan. Win or lose...we'll be in the WS hunt for years.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Wow. If you're looking for these guys to net more than they're worth....why bother, it ain't happening. They need an infusion of talent in their system...drafting 17 or 18 every year won't get it done. Maybe that's why they never bite the bullet and do what's needed....if so, then they truly are lost. Hope you enjoyed 2005 because that's all you're gonna get for a real long time.

Thank God, I'm a Cub fan. Win or lose...we'll be in the WS hunt for years.

1) Not more, just fair value and you won't get that with Eaton
2) They have not been drafting that high in the first round in years
3) I agree it's going to be a bit unless everything goes perfect on patch work
4) You would rather contend and never win? That right there is why Cub Fans are looked down upon when it comes to the game

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1) Not more, just fair value and you won't get that with Eaton
2) They have not been drafting that high in the first round in years
3) I agree it's going to be a bit unless everything goes perfect on patch work
4) You would rather contend and never win? That right there is why Cub Fans are looked down upon when it comes to the game

Funny stuff coming from a Sox fan. In the last 100 years the Cubs and Sox have combined to win one friggin WS....Sox fans know sooooo much more about winning.

:lmao:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Funny stuff coming from a Sox fan. In the last 100 years the Cubs and Sox have combined to win one friggin WS....Sox fans know sooooo much more about winning.

:lmao:

I am going to chalk up your irrational behavior here to you having a bad day. I indicated nothing about who knows more about winning making your comments one of the dumbest things ever posted here.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am going to chalk up your irrational behavior here to you having a bad day. I indicated nothing about who knows more about winning making your comments one of the dumbest things ever posted here.

Is that your thing now? I noticed you called someone else in the Cubs Forum dumb as well. Congratulations on getting your degree from the Omletpants School of Rudeness.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Is that your thing now? I noticed you called someone else in the Cubs Forum dumb as well. Congratulations on getting your degree from the Omletpants School of Rudeness.

I said nothing about you, I said it about your post. Troll elsewhere will ya?