AMD Bristol Ridge, ZEN?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The non K overclocking was patched out with a bios update a long time ago. I guess you could run an old bios but that prob introduces whole other problems. Besides, you move up to a k chip is usually less than $30.

The plan of buying a cpu to hold you over is never good imo, cause in the long run you are buying two lesser quality cpus than if you would have just put all that money into buying just one.

Kaby Lake is prob gon come out this quarter or the first quarter of 2017.

Skylake prices will not go down almost at all, just like Haswell still hasn't dropped much.

A quality cpu will last you upwards of 8-10 years if gaming is your most demanding use.

Again, you should really check the used market. Intel cpu's have gone through 3 iterations in just a couple years and a lot of people have been upgrading for no good reason. There a lot of used Haswell chips around cause people think of them as old now. But i5 4590k and i7 4790k are still VERY good chips and will likely will last a good 5 years or more without any kind of bottle necking as far as gaming. Shit, the i7 4790 still has the best single core performance of any chip you can get right now (until kaby lake). There has to be a used market in Aus.

If I was you, I would get a used chip and put all that money into a gpu.

Also, fuck ddr4. Does literally nothing for gaming. Waste of money. Stay away from that for as long as you can.

AussieBear

The non K overclocking was patched out with a bios update a long time ago. I guess you could run an old bios but that prob introduces whole other problems. Besides, you move up to a k chip is usually less than $30.

The plan of buying a cpu to hold you over is never good imo, cause in the long run you are buying two lesser quality cpus than if you would have just put all that money into buying just one.

Kaby Lake is prob gon come out this quarter or the first quarter of 2017.

Skylake prices will not go down almost at all, just like Haswell still hasn't dropped much.

A quality cpu will last you upwards of 8-10 years if gaming is your most demanding use.

Again, you should really check the used market. Intel cpu's have gone through 3 iterations in just a couple years and a lot of people have been upgrading for no good reason. There a lot of used Haswell chips around cause people think of them as old now. But i5 4590k and i7 4790k are still VERY good chips and will likely will last a good 5 years or more without any kind of bottle necking as far as gaming. Shit, the i7 4790 still has the best single core performance of any chip you can get right now (until kaby lake). There has to be a used market in Aus.

If I was you, I would get a used chip and put all that money into a gpu.

Also, fuck ddr4. Does literally nothing for gaming. Waste of money. Stay away from that for as long as you can.

buying used in aus makes no sense... only 23 million ppl in this entire country.. if i were in the usa and had a reliable outlet sure.. peeps are shady or stingy as fuck here when selling tech..

ive got about 7-8 years out of my old system, the laptop going on 6-7.. thatll need replaced one day maybe...i may try that diy external gpu setup and see what it can do.. and just leave it as a second gaming station... doubt i just buy another laptop... no need now

according to this guy oc non ks still good to go as of 2 weeks ago (like you said, still the old bios)

[video=youtube;gfiGJCUANbA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiGJCUANbA[/video]

ive also noticed the higher ddr4 mhz in tests shows an increase in fps in real world tests .. especially with the oc i3 in this test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qksXthUcbiQ it also shows oc i3 ddr4 3200 with similar performance as a stock i5 6500 on 2133mhz ddr.. im sure ddr4 will be standard in a few years anyway.. just trying to future proof a lil in that sense too.. thus the skylake...

as far as gpu.. id probably get the 8gb rx480.. i could get that and go ahead and get the 6600k if i pass up adding new monitors and just running with the one i have

Mitchapalooza

I built my last pc in late 2010 and it still runs well. 6 core amd 1090t. I barely use it for anything extreme so that's probably why. Once I get the funds I'm gonna build a way better build. It's been way too long.

AussieBear

cant wait to see whats up with bristol ridge... wish i knew what the zens were about too... but i think i want to put something together by xmas.. if amd doesnt leak shit or doesnt deliver im going just stay with intel for the cpu this round too..

eh fuck the i3 oc idea...

just gonna settle and save in areas, so i dont have to worry about intel coding them out eventually.. plus i still want that 3 monitor setup.. ill settle for my solid 1080p desires that i originally had last year..

probably just gonna get the i5 6400...

that saves about 100 vs 6600k. or 70 if i just get the 6500. another 50 saved on not buying a hyper 212
i wont need z170 mobo for overclocking and can save another 100 there.. but i may get one for future upgrade of a k or oc the non ks if that is still present..idk

sucks gpus cost alot here.. at 399 bucks locally, the choice are either XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR OC 8GB or ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Turbo 6GB... ill probably go the 480 route for the crossfire and add another 480 in the future when its a lot cheaper here.. newegg is 365 aud for that xfx but shipping is 41.89 for standard shipping. so eh..

lets go amd... shake shat up..

all i know is i doubt i can wait another year until all the results are in for new cpus and gpus... unless..

AussieBear

I built my last pc in late 2010 and it still runs well. 6 core amd 1090t. I barely use it for anything extreme so that's probably why. Once I get the funds I'm gonna build a way better build. It's been way too long.

yeah its been awhile for me too.. i wanted to build one last year but ive been holding out... i have about 3-4 months of shit to do.. so i can wait that if need be.. ill have a couple weeks around xmas.... but itll be peak summer and beach time here come dec jan feb.... but by mar ill have more time for games..

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
cant wait to see whats up with bristol ridge... wish i knew what the zens were about too... but i think i want to put something together by xmas.. if amd doesnt leak shit or doesnt deliver im going just stay with intel for the cpu this round too..

eh fuck the i3 oc idea...

just gonna settle and save in areas, so i dont have to worry about intel coding them out eventually.. plus i still want that 3 monitor setup.. ill settle for my solid 1080p desires that i originally had last year..

probably just gonna get the i5 6400...

that saves about 100 vs 6600k. or 70 if i just get the 6500. another 50 saved on not buying a hyper 212
i wont need z170 mobo for overclocking and can save another 100 there.. but i may get one for future upgrade of a k or oc the non ks if that is still present..idk

sucks gpus cost alot here.. at 399 bucks locally, the choice are either XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR OC 8GB or ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Turbo 6GB... ill probably go the 480 route for the crossfire and add another 480 in the future when its a lot cheaper here.. newegg is 365 aud for that xfx but shipping is 41.89 for standard shipping. so eh..

lets go amd... shake shat up..

all i know is i doubt i can wait another year until all the results are in for new cpus and gpus... unless..
Wealthy, retired American expat men-of-leisure who drive supercharged z3's often can't afford the highest quality PC parts.

Said no one, ever.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As someone who routinely shells out big bucks on high end builds every few years I can say with 1000% certainty that its almost always a waste of money to go the high end route unless its an HPC build. Rarely if ever is a high end build necessary as a gamer. Its nice to have, but almost always overkill.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
RPi3 it is

AussieBear

Wealthy, retired American expat men-of-leisure who drive supercharged z3's often can't afford the highest quality PC parts.

Said no one, ever.

first off, know your troll. Secondly, our household normally just doesnt go hog wild on wants.. needs are a different story...Im paying 400 bucks for a rx 480 for goodness sakes..This build will still cost 2k in aus is what you dont get. 2k for a rig when i play games maybe 2-3 hrs a week right now.. some weeks i dont even play games.. so yeah, its really not even needed..

perhaps you definition of wealthy and what kind of lifestyle that can afford, differs from mine... Maybe i should get a job at mcdonalds, they do pay adults 21-23 an hour here.. every cent would be disposable income and then i could waste 4-5k on a cpu...... yeah good idea.. no really... its a great idea

[video=youtube;TJh5wdvdfVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJh5wdvdfVE[/video]

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
You're better off with a strong multi-purpose web build with a budget GPU, and just get a PS4. Right now this is a shit time, because 4k hardware and VR hardware are all early to claim victory, when we haven't even started sorting out all of the standards that optimize development.

I'm a PCMR guy, but the reality is Zen is hype to signal the market that AMD is actually recovering from the Rory Reed dark years and will take a year before NT kernel optimizations make it into a windows update. Intel hyped up skylake a ton, and it was disappointing. AMD and nVidia GPUs are being sold as fresh designs, but they are really refreshes of refreshes... of refreshes in a different package with more extensions. There is nothing that exciting. If you buy a PC today, it's going to be faster because the expansion bus standards are better, not so much because of the CPU or GPU.

There is no shame in going console.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
BTW, what GPU do you have now?

AussieBear

You're better off with a strong multi-purpose web build with a budget GPU, and just get a PS4. Right now this is a shit time, because 4k hardware and VR hardware are all early to claim victory, when we haven't even started sorting out all of the standards that optimize development.

I'm a PCMR guy, but the reality is Zen is hype to signal the market that AMD is actually recovering from the Rory Reed dark years and will take a year before NT kernel optimizations make it into a windows update. Intel hyped up skylake a ton, and it was disappointing. AMD and nVidia GPUs are being sold as fresh designs, but they are really refreshes of refreshes... of refreshes in a different package with more extensions. There is nothing that exciting. If you buy a PC today, it's going to be faster because the expansion bus standards are better, not so much because of the CPU or GPU.

There is no shame in going console.

BTW, what GPU do you have now?

in the rig, i3-530... got that during 1st week release end of 09 or early 10??? ...replaced an older amd athlon.. salvaged what i could at the time.. the cpu is probably 6 going on 7 years and other meaningless parts 8-9.. the 530 still runs games... but last year i started wanting a 1080p ultra rig at or near a consistent 60fps ..plus, i would still like to be low to mid range 1440-4k and upgrade whenever i transition fully to 4k in the future..

this new rig will be new from the ground up.. every part... well minus the one monitor i do have.. but im getting two others.. ill rock 1080p for as many years as i can. plus we are buying a second tv for the second living room, basically my tv to do whatever i want with.. mostly movies, streaming and consoles..... probably get a 4k for that... so i could always hook up to it if need be.

but im not going to buy a newer console for a while.. ...i have two consoles still in moving boxes that i dont play... im saving them for the kid to use in a couple of years...i buy old cheap kids games when i come across them here and there and just put them away..

youre right though, it feels like a shit time to buy... ifeel like im the middle of a transition and they are still wanting me to pay a premium for tech thats about to be pissed on.... idk.. maybe its just me..

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's been a transition for the last 2-3 years IMO. So much focus on mobile and server, the desktop market has been shit on a lot, despite a large number of users. You can still build something sweet, just futureproof and give yourself room to upgrade. Not saying this is ideal but... The 530 is a wimp, but you could run it in your new rig until your target GPU drops in price. I wouldn't take any option away. Or the other way around, get a new GPU and live with whatever 7 year old i3 you have until the CPU situation sorts itself a little. Heck, you could even buy your case/psu in the meantime, then just buy new hard drives later. Rolling upgrades have been a strategy forever.

AussieBear

It's been a transition for the last 2-3 years IMO. So much focus on mobile and server, the desktop market has been shit on a lot, despite a large number of users. You can still build something sweet, just futureproof and give yourself room to upgrade. Not saying this is ideal but... The 530 is a wimp, but you could run it in your new rig until your target GPU drops in price. I wouldn't take any option away. Or the other way around, get a new GPU and live with whatever 7 year old i3 you have until the CPU situation sorts itself a little. Heck, you could even buy your case/psu in the meantime, then just buy new hard drives later. Rolling upgrades have been a strategy forever.

yeah, i hear what you are saying... but im not gong to be using the old system any longer. idk what im going to do with it, perhaps let it rip in a closet. im just going to buy the majority of what i want and skimp in other areas for now

im trying to future proof while leaving some upgrade paths. if the 1060 was sli, id probably get that... at the same time though the rx 480 seems to preform better on dx12... plus i can crossfire a second 480 once they are 200 bucks or so here. everything here is at premium prices though, so 200 may be 3-4years away -- who knows.

im not very informed with future tech and where its going, so trying to plan for whats around the corner seems daunting in ways, but theres always something better around the corner right... its part of the reason i thought about the am4 path...even if its just starting with the bristol ridge... im sure amd will run with the am4 platform for nearly a decade... well im just guessing really..

either way, what i do have going for me is a back log of titles i havent played or even bought yet from the last 3-4 years thatll keep me busy at ultra/high 1080p 60ish fps... i cant wait for witcher 3.. too bad i feel the need to play 2 first.. but everytime i feel like playing a game.. i play something ive already played... started a baldurs gate ee game a couple of weeks ago... even though i wanted to finally get around to divinity: original sin..

if it wasnt for you id be on a dead am3 platform now rocking that OC 8350 and rx480. i took your advice last year, read up on some things and im still waiting, but waiting time is nearly over.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am not entirely certain about Nvidia's Volta but I know that AMD's Vega architecture is a ground up new video card. Polaris was a Hawaii-ish refresh at a smaller process node. Vega is going to be new generation of GCN, HBM2 and manufactured @ 14 nanometer. It should wind up being good. Pascal has been a huge let down for me and because of that I won't be touching Volta at fucking all. AMD earned my money next round.

AussieBear

well i rechecked some prices and they have gone down a few bucks... so i will just get the 6600k if i go the intel route.. price is 1436.. not including, monitors, all the shipping or win 10.

heres the build.. any advice on parts??

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/wmRLcc

i have an extra keyboard/mouse and optical drive from the wifes old pc living in the closet, so my old rig will stay complete.... i still have the logitech z623s and some cheaper z213s that i can use if need be too.. usually just use headphones though

ill be using two case stock fans for the roof and adding 3 leds 140mms.. plus im gonna swap out the 212 fan for an led too.. and i meant red leds.... i was gonna do a white case and blue lights.. if i got the nitro oc 8 gb rx 460

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I am not entirely certain about Nvidia's Volta but I know that AMD's Vega architecture is a ground up new video card. Polaris was a Hawaii-ish refresh at a smaller process node. Vega is going to be new generation of GCN, HBM2 and manufactured @ 14 nanometer. It should wind up being good. Pascal has been a huge let down for me and because of that I won't be touching Volta at fucking all. AMD earned my money next round.

They're stretching 'ground up' to mean skipping the actual redesign of the base trans pattern(which winds up making up 90% of the die). But it's just a marketing term now, otherwise people don't hype up over these things. These aren't true ground up designs. It's not so much due to existing optimization, as much as it's due to lithography limitations.

With wider range of gate design being the focus of sub 20nm lithography, chipmakers will actually have something to optimize before we get into PoP's with CNT built under SOI. Just a wonky era IMO, no real need for true ground up redesigns. It's literally click and modify offset until the leakages and cycles for one block are tighter than the previous sample. Bump, test, and repeat. Not like the 90s where even though new redesigns rolled out faster to consumer, the tools didn't allow us( shit for predictability, so existing designs would be scrapped and built from nothing multiple times a week to compare theories.

Also mind you, my analysis isn't like your average kid gamer on a hardware forum somewhere who thinks they are god for snapping together parts that are made to snap together(honestly, no offense to anyone who thinks that is a jab at them, it's more of a jab at those kids who builds ONE or TWO systems and already thinks they know everything, and you know who I'm talking about, as they seem to be postwhores on hardware sites derailing help threads with 'why?' questions every time someone needs a solution that doesn't make sense to them...holy long sentence batman, can I keep going?). I think like an engineer because 1). I am , and 2). at one point I did have to design custom burns for 40p dips when an average person could get them made cheap for specialty clients. FPGAs have pretty much eliminated the need for that, but the physics and design concepts are relative.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
well i rechecked some prices and they have gone down a few bucks... so i will just get the 6600k if i go the intel route.. price is 1436.. not including, monitors, all the shipping or win 10.

heres the build.. any advice on parts??

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/wmRLcc

i have an extra keyboard/mouse and optical drive from the wifes old pc living in the closet, so my old rig will stay complete.... i still have the logitech z623s and some cheaper z213s that i can use if need be too.. usually just use headphones though

ill be using two case stock fans for the roof and adding 3 leds 140mms.. plus im gonna swap out the 212 fan for an led too.. and i meant red leds.... i was gonna do a white case and blue lights.. if i got the nitro oc 8 gb rx 460

Looks okay.

Personally, I'm a hater when it comes to gigabyte products. Only one mainboard vendor has given me more issues in my life(Biostar), and I've likely dealt with over a hundred boards at this point from gigabyte. It becomes a "Hay, I had good luck with them" type of scenario, therefore 'good-luck' owners will swear by them. Reminds me of LiteOn optical drive supporters and Creative Labs fanboys. /rant.

Do as you please, but here's my input.

PSU: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/wb3RsY/corsair-power-supply-cx750 Better and slightly cheaper PSU. People are dropping it points because it's not modular? Seriously? These must be some fucktard lazy builders if they think a much cheaper non-modular PSU makes any bit of difference, other than having to, you know, think your cable management through a TINY bit before and during the build. I've used versions of both PSUs, and the Corsair components are from a better QC bin. Plus, if you plan on CF later, the rated output bump will future-proof you further. On a strict budget, modular PSU gets chucked out the window. If you go Antec, the best deal is a PSU+Case combo, and with your limited options it looks like AU isn't getting that discount.

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A or AR is the gold standard for budget tweakable skylake boards. But I can't seem to find prices in AU. This doesn't mean they are still the best right now, just proven. ASRock is also a great budget brand. Not as cheap, but the z170 Extreme4 was on the list without any rating for $20 more. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/NqRFf7/asrock-z170-extreme4-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z170-extreme4

Sorry, no time to do more detailed checkthrough, working. But I'm not the only one here that can help, so yay for that.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well I can't compete there chief. I am a paper engineer that went to DeVry for it but never worked in the field. I suppose I have just been snapping parts together for 20 years then.